Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Dec 2014, 17:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation for MBA & MIM

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation for MBA & MIM [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 12:06
Dear Sir
I am Chandan MISHRA from India. I am a mechanical engineer and did the engineering from Delhi College of Engineering(Top 10 in India). I score 64% in my Bachelors.I am currently working in Alstom India Ltd as a field operations engineer.My total experience up to now is 14 months . I do have to face a lot of hardships during my day to day work life so i want to change my career path. I heard somewhere that adcoms do give a bit of importance to diversity. Since the job is constructing a boiler so i do have to check the daily material receipt, the materials to be used on that particular day, the work progress, reading the design and giving the instructions to workers and if any problem arises then contacting the engineering or process department. Since this job is not even remotely related to business field and is much more on a technical side, will the adcom give value to my work experience. My current supervisor and my one professor are ready to give LOR for me. My target schools are York Schulich, Vlerick Leuven, Sauder, BYU , Katz. I wish to apply to Full time MBA programme for the September 2013 intake. By then I will have 2 years of experience. My GMAT score is 680. For example Edhec, HEC, ESSEC. I have done many projects at my college level and also took part in various extracurricular activities. I am a part of Alstom Corporate team and was captain of my College Cricket Team. I hope you would do the profiling and tell me whether i am a suitable candidate to apply for the full time MBA ? Or should i apply to MIM at this score? What will be more beneficial for me?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 606 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation for MBA & MIM [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 02:22
Expert's post
Hey there dude,
Thanks for writing us!
I think that with your list of schools you mentioned, you can apply for an MBA for the September 13 intake. You will be a bit on the low side experience-wise, so you DO have to take that into consideration and figure out how you can address that in y our application (i.e. by showing them that you actually have more experience than initially it seems). coming from a Tech background in of itself is no problem at all. Plenty of folks do and get in. But you do need to highlight the non-tech parts of your experience. If you write essays about building boilers, the schools will not be impressed, so focus more on the achievements, on your teamwork, on project management, that sort of thing. MiMs would also be good programs for you as you are on the borderline. But no one says you have to apply ONLY to MiMs or MBAs, why not simply apply to a good mix of both???

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation for MBA & MIM [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 09:11
What are the courses which mixes both MIM and MBA? Can you give details of those courses?

Thanks in advance
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 606 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation for MBA & MIM [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 02:05
Expert's post
There aren't any.
what I meant is that when you decide which programs to apply to, there's no need to EXCLUSIVELY apply to one type of program OR the other. You can apply for both types of programs.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!