Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

profile evaluation for me & my fiancée :-)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

profile evaluation for me & my fiancée :-) [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 22:56
I am an Indian applicant and will be applying to b-schools for the Fall '12 season. Will send out wherever I can in Round 1. My fiancée (soon going to be my wife) is also planning to do a post grad in a liberal arts course something and we want to be at the same univ, or the same town.

My background & What do I want from my b-school?
I have got 6 years of s/w development experience in financial software companies in India and am aiming at a decent top-50 school which is generous with scholarships. I took the GMAT way back in 2009 and scored a humble 650. I'm retaking the exam again in Aug this year. My interests lie in getting into product management or corporate strategy of a internet/e-commerce company. So, the school should be in/near a region that is vibrant in these industries.

I believe my question will make more sense when I get the test results in Aug but assumming I get a decent score in the north of 700-720 and all other variables remain the same in terms of profile and our current preferences, what can you suggest?

Her background:
Currently, she is working as a features writer for a national-level interior design magazine.Her work ex of 3-4 years has been in writing for city dailies, and features for lifestyle magazines She is keen on studying mainly to acclimatize her writing to the US sensibilities and improve her job prospects. MS. Creative Writing or Journalisin - on these lines.

What am I looking in terms of location ?
Since both of us will not be earning, the cost of living should be cheap, which rules out most of the metros/big cities.
Should be a big state univ so that both of these courses are available. I have to be more selective while considering my business program in terms of ranking/reputation.
The univ/region should be big enough for her to find suitable employment opportunities(during her studies).

My query to the club members is how to find out the prospective univs for us.

I am keenly looking at the following places:
UNC, CHapel Hill - [ambitious]
UT Austin
ASU, Tempe
Indiana,Bloomington.
Ohio State
Anything in the west coast - everything looks expensive to me or out of reach

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Ronnie.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Re: profile evaluation for me & my fiancée :-) [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 08:17
As far as I know, Austin isn't exactly cheap. It's a fun city though.

Or, look into the Chicago area, which will give the both of you plenty of job opportunities, life in a big city, but at a more reasonable cost than NY, SF or LA. But still not "cheap".

The tough thing is you're going to have to find some compromises - you're not going to find a place where there's job opportunities, strong university, and low cost of living. You're going to have to compromise on at least one of the three.

For example, places with good job opportunities are located in higher cost areas. There are good universities located in lower cost of living areas, there are good universities located in cities with good job opportunities -- but you'll be hard pressed to find a good university that has both.

Yes, you won't be earning any money, but neither are any other MBA student out there (married or otherwise). If you really want to maximize your opportunities, you're going to have to suck it up and move to a place that will be more expensive. Take out the loans to make it happen.

Opportunities don't come on the cheap.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: profile evaluation for me & my fiancée :-) [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 08:30
thanks so much, Alex.

appreciate the prompt response.

regards,
Ronnie.
Re: profile evaluation for me & my fiancée :-)   [#permalink] 23 May 2011, 08:30