Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Oct 2014, 23:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation for NYU Stern Part-time Langone program

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Stern PT '16
GMAT 1: 680 Q37 V45
GPA: 3.2
WE: Sales (Retail)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Profile evaluation for NYU Stern Part-time Langone program [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 14:33
Hi all,
So I have finally decided to apply to NYU Stern Part-time program, but want to know how realistic my chances are.

I am interested only in Stern because of their specialization in Luxury Marketing.

My stats:
Female/European citizen, but US resident/27 yrs.
GMAT 680 (37Q, 45V) I know, terrible Quant
GPA, from state schools:
M.S Merchandising 3.88
B.S. Economics 3.21
A.A. Economics 2.97 (cumulative undergrad GPA is 2.99 with 2 D's). Took a Finance course recently (got an A) to boost this a little.

Great EC's in college, few EC's after college.
Work exp 3.5 yrs in corporate luxury retail (very high profile company) with promotions.

I have a strong resume, but will my underwhelming GMAT and GPA hurt my chances? I kind of fall right in the middle of the class profile...

Stern Langone stats:
Undergraduate GPA: 80% range 2.9-3.8
GMAT score: 80% range 620-730
Typical range of work experience 1-15 years

Look forward to your opinions.
Thank you!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile evaluation for NYU Stern Part-time Langone program [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 16:37
From an admissions perspective, you could possibly be a strong candidate with a strong application -- including essays, recommendations, interview, etc. The one factor that you are going to have to address is your quant abilities. The fact that you work in a underrepresented industry is going to help you as well ethnic background. Also, being a woman will help you in the process as there is a significant gender gap in MBA students. Lastly, as for your grades, they will weigh your most recent academic experience most, so they will mostly consider your graduate degree in merchandising, which you did very well at.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation for NYU Stern Part-time Langone program [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 16:44
tallymia,

Your GMAT quant score will cause concern, so I recommend that you try to raise it, especially given your 2.99 CGPA. Otherwise, the rest of your profile looks strong. Feel free to send me your resume if you'd like me to give you more focused feedback: paulbodine@yahoo.com.

--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, http://www.paulsbodine.com/testimonials

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 563 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile evaluation for NYU Stern Part-time Langone program [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 04:44
Expert's post
Oh, if your resume is strong I think you can be okay, even with that less than fantastic Quant score. The admissions for part-time programs are far more flexible than for full-time programs. Just make sure to highlight your quant experience in your work.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Profile evaluation for NYU Stern Part-time Langone program   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2013, 04:44