Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation for Outside the Box Candidate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 49

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Profile Evaluation for Outside the Box Candidate [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 17:30
Hi,

I'm a little new and a little early to apply to b-school. But I wanted to get your input on my chances at the top b-schools. I will potentially apply in 2 years.

24 years old, Male, Indian American (born in the US)

Graduate from Wayne State University with 3.55 GPA

Majored in General Management, emphasis in Accounting. Graduated in 3.5 years while working 30 hours a week.

Work experience: Worked at a startup for a year, took almost a year off for extracurriculars, which I'll describe below, then 2 years in corporate finance. After finance, I'm considering becoming a religious leader (Imam) leading the organization full time.

Extracurriculars: Studying to be a religious scholar (4th year), teaching and administration work at religious organization (4 years), prison volunteer chaplain (2 years)

GMAT: First time 660, retaking and aiming for ~710

Career Paths: Consulting, Non-profit

My main goal is to revitalize the Muslim religious institutions in the US to make them more modern, without losing the spirituality or violating religious principles. I want to make our message more relevant to the modern world. I would ideally like to work in consulting for a few years after an MBA to learn how to restructure and improve organizations, and then later on apply them to my field. I know my candidacy is definitely not the norm, but I would like to get your expert advice if a school like Harvard or Stanford would be interested in my story. Thanks so much!

Best,
TwoThrones

"Only by going too far, can one find out how far one can go."

--T.S. Elliot

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation for Outside the Box Candidate [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 05:16
Expert's post
Hey Twothrones,

For a second there I thought your name had something to do with "Game of Thrones" :) But I guess it has a more religious significance.

So first of all your story is very interesting. This is the first time I heard of someone having such a specific religious non-profit goal, and I think that if you can back up your story with proven experience (which seems to be the case, and keep up the good work). What is a little bit unclear for me is how 'full-time' the religious work you are doing now is (I understand that you are still in school studying to be an Imam?). Beyond that, your main goal needs to be made more concrete. Your goal is lofty and excellent, but my first question as a sceptic would be: HOW. How are you going to bring about the change you propose? Will you found your own non-profit? Work for an existing one? Try to lead some religious council?? etc... If you can get a bit more specific about how you will accomplish what you propose to accomplish, it will help you a great deal.

For top programs a GMAt above 710 is pretty much a must, so make sure that is in the bag (and you do have plenty of time, so no worries there). Good luck with your test and everything else. And if you have any other questions, just drop them here,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!