Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation for PHD in CB

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation for PHD in CB [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 06:46
Profile: White Male, Age 23
GMAT: 680 (Q 42, V 40) - Taken 8/25/2012
Undergraduate: BS in Sports and Leisure Service Administration (Minor in Business Administration) from a good but unranked state school - 3.87 GPA; Graduated in 3.5 years; Division I scholarship track/cross country runner
Graduate: MBA from same institution - 4.0 GPA; Still on track scholarship; Graduate Research Assistant in Marketing for one semester; Intern in compliance at a federal government agency for 1 year (while still competing in track/cross country)
Work Experience: I've worked full-time in compliance for the same government agency for 4 months (directly following the completion of my MBA and my eligibility with the NCAA)
Academic Awards: NCAA Academic All-American; Dayle May Award (given to the student athlete with the highest GPA); USTFCCCA All-Academic Team (Cross country and track coach's association)
Cross Country/Track: NCAA Championships Qualifier; School record holder, Team captain; Active Member of the Student Athlete's Advisory Committee; Three time conference champion
Extra Curricular: Currently - the Volunteer Assistant Coach at my alma mater; Previously - Volunteered at numerous road races for charities, Student Athlete Advisory Committee events, Komen for the Cure events, local cross country and track camps for kids
Why PhD?: I enjoy research. Teaching is secondary, but I would enjoy that too. I realized that I had a passion for research as an undergraduate student in Research Methods; however, the desire to become a professor really developed as a research assistant. My interest lies in consumer behavior.
LOR: One from the marketing dept head at my alma matter, another from a very good professor/researcher in marketing- sales (I also worked for him as a graduate assistant), and a third from another marketing professor (I also worked for as a GA) or my college coach

Question...
I have no geographical limitations. I simply want to get into the best school that I can for CB. Where should I consider? How does my profile look?

Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: Profile Evaluation for PHD in CB [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 18:17
I'm not an expert in eval but from your profile it wouldn't be impossible for you to apply and get into any of the top ten programs, I know that for marketing there is no bigger name than Northwestern. Your GPA is excellent and your GMAT is solid, if you have some compelling stories in your essays I say you stand better than a 75 (arbitrary number) percent chance of getting in. On a side note, I've noticed you GMATprep 1 score is pretty much the exact breakdown I had 690 (44Q, 40V) and two weeks later I took a MGMAT and got a disappointing 630 much like your 640. Reading your post made me feel better that you took the actual GMAT and got a 680. Since you recently just took it can you tell me if the actual GMAT is more or less in line with the GMATprep?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation for PHD in CB [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 11:53
Thanks for the reply! I would not be discouraged by the MGMAT CAT score. I was really discouraged, but there is no reason to be. I felt that the GMAT was nearly identical to taking a GMAT Prep. Everything about the two exams felt extremely similiar. On the other hand, the MGMAT CAT felt somewhat different. My verbal score was terrible and my quant. was good on the MGMAT CAT, which was the opposite of my real GMAT. However, I wouldn't abandon the MGMAT CATs because they do truly allow you to focus on your weaknesses and they definitely help you improve your timing. Just do not let the scores affect your confidence. I am more than happy to answer any other questions that you may have.

Are you looking at marketing PhD programs as well?
Re: Profile Evaluation for PHD in CB   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2012, 11:53