Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 06:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation for round 2 application

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: AIESEC
Schools: Carlson School of Management (Admitted with $$$); Claremont McKenna College MSF (Admitted with $$$); Olin Business School (R2); Wisconsin School of Business R3); University of Notre Dame (R5)
WE 1: 2.5 Years in Management Consulting with a Big 4 Auditing Firm by matriculation
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

Profile evaluation for round 2 application [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2011, 01:00
Hi, I am from Vietnam. I am applying to Olin Business Schoool in St.Louis, Wisconsin and Carlson. My work experience in management consulting has shown me that financial management is a critical weakness for Vietnamese firms. My short-term career goal is to join an international consultancy in Vietnam, such as McKinsey, to help close the gap between local corporate operations and international practices. My long-term goal is to become a founder partner of a local consultancy providing financial management advisory services to small and medium sized enterprises. Thus, I am opting for the concentration in finance/corporate finance. Could you please provide an assessment of my chances of getting in with a decent scholarship from the schools?
- Academics: GPA: 7.89/10, top 10 percent of the class, major in International Business, Dean's list for the last three years of university. Won first prize in a university-wide student research competition.
- GMAT: 750 (Q: 49 - 86%, V: 44 - 97%, AWA: 5.5 - 77%)
- Work experience: 2.5 years in management consulting with KPMG Vietnam (I started working full-time in the last semester of my undergraduate studies when I was supposed to do an internship. So post-baccalaureate-wise, I will have had only slightly more than two year of work experience by the time of enrollment. I guess that I will need to explain this to the adcom during the interview).
- Extracurricular involvement: 1 year of leading a volunteer team of a local chapter of AIESEC, a global non-profit student-run organization, during university.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [1] , given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation for round 2 application [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 15:54
This post received
KUDOS
If you want to work in mgmt consulting post-MBA (and I assume you know more than I would, since you're in consulting now), you really should be targeting higher ranked schools. In any case, it's too late as the Round 2 deadlines for these programs have mostly passed. Submit whatever you were planning to apply to (if you haven't already), and then see what results you get - once you get the results, you can then decide whether to take their offers (if any) or not.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [1] , given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation for round 2 application [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2011, 15:44
This post received
KUDOS
If you're looking to work in mgmt consulting, why would you do a MSF or MBA specializing in finance? It's a bit odd. As far as I know, consulting firms don't typically hire from MSF programs - they focus almost exclusively on the top 16 programs.

So borrow the money (student loans) like everyone else and go to a target school (top 16 ideally) - and have a shot at getting a mgmt consulting job.

Or, go to a school outside the top 30 on scholarship, and have a near impossible time of getting a mgmt consulting job.

Your choice.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: AIESEC
Schools: Carlson School of Management (Admitted with $$$); Claremont McKenna College MSF (Admitted with $$$); Olin Business School (R2); Wisconsin School of Business R3); University of Notre Dame (R5)
WE 1: 2.5 Years in Management Consulting with a Big 4 Auditing Firm by matriculation
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

Re: Profile evaluation for round 2 application [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 22:19
Thanks for your answer. In fact, because of my financial strain, I give more weight to the scholarship rather than the ranking. I plan to gain some experience in financial management before going back to consulting.

Another thing that I have been concerned about is whether to go for an MSF or an MBA in Finance. I was actually wrapped up in applying to the MSF in round 1. That's why I was quite late joining the race for the MBA. I would definitely prefer a 2 two-year long program since networking and searching for international employment opportunities are likely to take more than one year. However, as I heard, the MBA may not offer in-depth knowledge like the MSF.

Would you mind providing your insights in this matter?
Re: Profile evaluation for round 2 application   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2011, 22:19