Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation for the health sector

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation for the health sector [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 03:04
Gmat: 680 (Q:41, V:43)
GPA: 3.2
BS Microbiology & Molecular Biology, minor in business

Work experience:
2010-2012 US Peace Corps – West Africa
Biggest things included:
Creating and managing a usaid funded project to create a waste management program with my city’s mayor’s office (led to job creation),
Monitored and evaluated national health campaigns for the world health organization,
Led of a committee for an NGO to review and approve local development projects proposals,
Organized a national conference on organizational management for local NGOs,
And consulted for a HIV-related NGO to improve their community outreach programs.

2009 – 2010 Research Assistant in a molecular biology lab
Published a scientific article
Presented work at research conferences
Did lots of research in protein interactions

Extracurricular:
Student association – director of a undergrad student association that put together volunteer trips to south America
HIV counselor at school clinic
Helped my local hospital put together an inventory tracking system while volunteering there
Got my undergrad school to sponsor a science camp for kids in west africa while in the Peace Corps

Languages: English and French

Reason for doing MBA: I would like to work on the organizational or management side for a domestic health care institute. Such as a hospital through HCA, or even organizations that do public health consultancy such as RTI Health Solutions.

I’ve been looking into Duke because they offer a concentration in health sector management.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation for the health sector [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 19:11
Expert's post
Hello,

Academically, your profile is average - a 680 GMAT and a 3.2 GPA. I like your story very much though, and think it makes a lot of sense based on your experience and background. In terms of professional experience, you're definitely a non-traditional candidate - but this can be overcome. I think you just really want to showcase your leadership and team capability (seeing as how you haven't worked in professional business/corporate environment, you need to show that you have the skills to lead within than type of structure/organization.). The other thing you should really be aware of is that right now, your profile is somewhat one dimensional (all your extracurriculars/community work are very much the same as your professional track/goals. This is what makes your story strong and believable, but at the same time, you need to show what else you are besides a social impact/healthcare person.) You need to show your personal interests/passions and multi-dimensionality-- are you also a marathon runner? Lead singer of a band? Soccer coach?

Duke is a great program and I think it's a smart choice, but I don't think you're a shoe-in there given your academic profile, lack of business experience, and lack of balance. It's definitely possible though, and should stay on your list. I'd also target some safer programs like UNC, UCLA, University of Washington. Kellogg, Haas and Wharton have great programs, but may be reaches... could keep Haas on the list as your reach school, but depends on how you want to hedge your risk.

Hope this helps,
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter