Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 23:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation for Top Schools in Europe

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation for Top Schools in Europe [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2008, 02:00
Hello,

I would like to start my MBA in Sep 09, but so far I have not started my application because I took this decision very recently. I have just completed my GMAT and TOEFL is scheduled for 10.01.09 therefore I will probably not be able to meet the 2nd round of most Business Schools that all end around 05.01.09. Taking into account that I want to apply for the top schools in Europe, but will be only part of the 3rd round, I would be really interested if application for only these schools make sense. Currently, I am considering the following schools:
- London Business School: 08/2009
- INSEAD: 09/2009 (if this is not possible anymore 01/2010)
- IMD: 01/2010
- Cambridge Judge: 09/2009
Though, to be honest, I think that I will only apply to the first 3 schools as time for the application is so limited.

Background:
740 GMAT (Q47, V44), AWA results not yet received
31y old, German (father is from India)
German Diploma in computer science (german grade 1,1 on scale from 1,0 - 5,0, should probably be equivalent tio 4,0?)
Current Position: Manager in one of the big-2 global IT consulting companies
In the last years a led a team of ~25 persons, did financial planning & mgmt. for a team of ~60 persons and a lot of tech work on IT delivery deals

Potential challenges:
- international experience: worked with delivery centers in Europe, worked on a project in Rumania. But I always lived, worked and studied in Germany (though I personally like to travel)
- extracurricular activities: recruiting for the firm?

Could you eventually provide me some tips for the application? Should I apply to one "safety" school? Is round 3 still ok or should I postpone my plans to next year (which would not fit into my personal plans for the next years to be honest).

Thanks a lot!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation for Top Schools in Europe [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2008, 16:37
Expert's post
Elderas,

You have a strong, distinctive profile with good numbers but two negatives: your age and your lack of extracurricular/community leadership. Neither of these is a deal-breaker, however. Since you are not getting any younger I would recommend that you go ahead and apply third round since it's the strong, distinctive applicants that generally have the best chance in the late rounds. If you do get dinged you can just reapply in the fall. You should not have a problem getting into IMD or Judge, but London and INSEAD will be tougher (go ahead and apply to both, however).

Hope this helps,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation for Top Schools in Europe [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2008, 14:56
Thanks a lot for this useful feedback. I am currently thinking about applying for LBS & Judge in the 3rd round and for INSEAD & IMD for the 1st/2nd round for the January start date. Or do you think it might be better to go for round 3 in all schools?
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation for Top Schools in Europe [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2008, 18:52
Expert's post
Elderas,

No, definitely pursue IMD and INSEAD's 1st and 2nd round for the January start date rather than a third round for the September start date.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog