Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 03:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation for Yale and UCLA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 37

Profile Evaluation for Yale and UCLA [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2011, 05:44
Hey Paul,
I have read almost every post that you have made on gmat club and realy appreciate the work you are doing . It would be great it you could comment on my profile.
Nationality - Indian , male , 24 years old

Education
Gmat-720
CFA-level 2 candidate
BE ( electronics ) -74% , unknown engineering college

Work experience
- Working with Caritas India ( non profit ) as a project coordinator and have also been a consultant on five different income generation projects so far( total work ex so far 1.5 years) . My job is to do a thorough market analysis , and come up with strategies to create small scale units which employ people from the backward sections of the society. So, that these people can have a sustained source of income.
-Interesting aspect of this job is that I get to deal with politicians too .

Entrepreneurship experience:---6 months
- I have always had a passion to teach . My family has been running a couple of private schools for the last 37 years in the city i live in . I started a private sponsorship program along with a few eminent names in the field of education in my city , where we fund the primary education for children who cannot afford to go to private schools . It is a whole business model( 75% of the earnings are used to sponsor these kids , and rest of it is used for day to day operations ). It would take me a whole page to explain how this thing works , but the bottomline is this model is first of it's kind and is doing quite well . We have been able to sponsor 12 children so far and have raised more than 25,000$ in 6 months time. ( indian equivalent is quite high , apparantly you only need 1500-2000$ to sponsor a child's education in india for good 10-12 years , you can PM me if you are interested in sponsoring smone :))

Leadership/ community service / extracurrics
-won't bore you with a laundry list but i have been involved with quite a few things ( state level singer , sportsmen , and several other entrepreneurship experience ..etc !

My target schools are - UCLA, YALE ( don't know if it's a realistic target !) will be applying for 2013 intake

Post MBA:: HONESTLY i want to work as an advisor to the Government of India and head my own social ventures.
Why MBA ? -A good B-school's name gives you instant recognition amongst the masses and makes your job easier !
( and dismisses the perennial question - "what are you doing with your life?"

So my questions to you are :- You can pretty much see tht i am a jack of all traits sortff a guy i am all over the place !!

1) How do i categorize my work experience?
2) The path i am heading on is non traditional and I would like to know do people get into good MBA programs taking on such paths?
3) General feedbacks on my profile would be greatly appreciated too :)
looking forward to your reply :)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 183

Re: Profile Evaluation for Yale and UCLA [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 21:17
Expert's post
Hey Sherlinpatro:

I would categorize your work experience as being from the not-for-profit sector. I think what you are also asking is whether or not your work experience is traditional. Given the number of MBA applicants who are coming from the nonprofit world, I would still categorize your work experience as nontraditional -- even though the number of applicants from the nonprofit sector is becoming more prevalent at certain programs. From the little bit that I know about your work experience seems that you are gaining good analytical skills as well as the project management experience. This type of professionalism will bode well within any business school environment. At a very high level I would categorize your work experience as nonprofit consulting and framing it this way will be crucial to realizing your short and longer-term goals.

your second question is the million dollar question. Applicants from nontraditional backgrounds get into business school by demonstrating that they will be able to get a job upon graduation and that they are good fit for the school's strengths, as well as culture. In your case, articulating why person in the nonprofit arena would need business type skills is going to be crucial. The other thing that I would avoid to say that immediately upon graduation you plan on returning to India to work with the Indian government. This might be an acceptable longer-term goal, but in the short-term it is a no go. Why? Because business schools what you to be a part of the network and to use that network. It would not make sense to UCLA, for example, that you would go to a California-based school with a network of graduates that are located in California, and then immediately move back to India. You will pretty much be out of the Anderson network at that point. Additionally, the admissions committee will question the ability of UCLA Anderson to provide you any inroads into a job in India. Again, avoid putting forth a short-term goal that involves you moving back to India.

To be perfectly honest with you, I think your play involves this (and I have seen this work before) -- you pretty much want to lay out a path that takes your nonprofit consulting expertise and your involvement in secondary education, and bundles it into a logical short-term goal. You want the short-term goal to be within the United States. So, for example, you would say that you want to go get an MBA because you realize that the intersection between business, nonprofit, education and government is increasing. You need the skills to be able to reconcile these overlapping sets. You will be able to pull from your multitude of experiences in order to back this up to make the story seem real. So immediately upon graduation from specific MBA program, you are going to go work as a manager or director for a charter school organization, located in a major metropolitan area within the United States -- say Green Dot schools in Los Angeles. Then in the longer-term, you plan on returning to India, where you will use the skills you gained through your short-term goal and MBA education to bring that model (or something similar to it) to the Indian educational system. These culinary goals are what I would tell you are the most logical given your background. How is that for free advice?

You are another candidate that I think I can help, if I have not helped you too much already. :-) please let me know if you would be interested in scheduling an initial consultation for the coming week. Please e-mail me at MBA@amerasiaconsulting.com.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Sherlinpatro wrote:

So my questions to you are :- You can pretty much see tht i am a jack of all traits sortff a guy i am all over the place !!

1) How do i categorize my work experience?
2) The path i am heading on is non traditional and I would like to know do people get into good MBA programs taking on such paths?
3) General feedbacks on my profile would be greatly appreciated too :)
looking forward to your reply :)

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 37

Re: Profile Evaluation for Yale and UCLA [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 00:00
Thankyou so much Paul for such an insightful reply I really appreciate your feedback :)
The career path you've suggested makes a lot of sense , and to be honest with you i haven't given a serious thought what i'd be doing after an MBA :
I just have a few more questions -
1) This was my first GMAT attempt , so should I retake ?( I'll only do so if i have a serious shot at getting in schools like UCLA, Yale, duke ) . Though you do not know my complete profile , but could you extrapolate and suggest me some safety schools?
2) Should i apply this year or wait for another year ? by that time i think i'll have better results to show for my social enterprise ( that fundraising for scholarship thing I am heading) .

I am not in India these days ( visiting one of my friends in Sri Lanka) , so i'll definitely take up on your offer for a free consultation in mid June when i come back to India . :)
Thanks a lot for your time Paul .