Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation - from research field [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
DavideGMAT wrote:
Linda,

thank you for your reply, I know that getting some work experience would strengthen my profile, but there are some reasons why I want to apply to bschools now. First, I am 29 and I would be 30 at matriculation: I feel that this is the right time for me to do an MBA, instead of waiting until I turn 33. This is strongly connected to a second reason: I would prefer to complete my education now, get my MBA and then begin to work - and, hopefully, build a family - instead of getting a job now (which also means no research fellowship for the next year) and then stop for a whole year before being on the market again. Finally, since I want to move from the research field into consulting or industry, I believe that an MBA will help me to relocate and to find a job that involves more responsibilities, power and money, which is definitely my goal.
You mentioned that the only way to figure out if I can get admitted is to apply, but did you advise anyone else with a similar profile in the past? Do you think the programs I mentioned could be interested in someone with this kind of profile? Should I consider other programs instead of (or in addition to) the three I listed above?

Occasionally we have worked with applicants in situations similar to yours. The key to your success will be your ability to show leadership and project management experience in the context of your Ph.D. research. If you can do so successfully, you will enhance your chances enormously. Also, showing the business or societal value of your research will help. If it's very theoretical or esoteric, it's going to be harder to show that practical value. But pollution research sounds very practical.

Best,
Linda
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I was also wondering whether I should apply to a couple more programs in R1 next year. More in detail, I was thinking about a stretch (LBS-INSEAD-Judge) and a safe (Manchester-Cass), even if with my profile talking of "safe" is a bit of nonsense...anyway, would I just waste my time applying to one of those top elite schools?
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
DavideGMAT wrote:
I was also wondering whether I should apply to a couple more programs in R1 next year. More in detail, I was thinking about a stretch (LBS-INSEAD-Judge) and a safe (Manchester-Cass), even if with my profile talking of "safe" is a bit of nonsense...anyway, would I just waste my time applying to one of those top elite schools?

Why don't you contact the LBS/insead/jUDGE and ask if they would view your work for your Ph.D. as work experience? If they say yes, it makes sense to try. If they say no, it doesn't.

You may want to do the same with Cornell Johnson's accelerated MBA program. It is specifically for people with advanced technical degrees and it is about one year.

Best,
Linda
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ok, I did my homework: researched MBA programs, defined priorities, etc...now my wishlist is pretty much as follows:
-Oxford Said
-Cranfield
-SDA Bocconi
-IMD
-INSEAD (a 100% stretch)

Anyway, right now I am trying to find an answer to the following question: my goal is to begin my post-MBA career either in the UK or in Italy, and I guess that the MBA job market is stronger in the UK than in Italy...still, I'd like to know whether it would be possible to start a career in, let's say, southern Italy, instead of northern Italy (I'm trying to understand whether there is a chance for an MBA to find a job in that area).
One more question: given my profile, are there post-MBA careers that are definitely out of my reach? Today I got a reply from an Italian b-school which stated that a career in consulting was unlikely given my profile (especially given my age). Should I start focusing on specific post-MBA career paths?
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
DavideGMAT wrote:
Ok, I did my homework: researched MBA programs, defined priorities, etc...now my wishlist is pretty much as follows:
-Oxford Said
-Cranfield
-SDA Bocconi
-IMD
-INSEAD (a 100% stretch)

Anyway, right now I am trying to find an answer to the following question: my goal is to begin my post-MBA career either in the UK or in Italy, and I guess that the MBA job market is stronger in the UK than in Italy...still, I'd like to know whether it would be possible to start a career in, let's say, southern Italy, instead of northern Italy (I'm trying to understand whether there is a chance for an MBA to find a job in that area).
One more question: given my profile, are there post-MBA careers that are definitely out of my reach? Today I got a reply from an Italian b-school which stated that a career in consulting was unlikely given my profile (especially given my age). Should I start focusing on specific post-MBA career paths?

I don't know the answer to your question about northern and southern Italy. Sorry.

You should certainly research likely post-MBA career paths since you will probably have to answer at least a few MBA career goal questions. The question about your ability to find consulting work at your anticipated age at graduation is a murkier question. It depends somewhat on the job market. If the market is strong, then you are more likely to be able to find a consulting job. If it is weak, then consulting firms will probably prefer job seekers who have work experience and/or are younger.

Best,
Linda
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks, Linda. I was thinking of defining my career goals like this: MBA-Associate in a consulting firm either in Italy or in the UK-5 years later Senior-10 years later Partner. The thing is, if this is not working given my profile I might end up with reducing my chances to get admitted to some MBA programs, and I really don't want to do that. Maybe given the strong focus put by Said on social entrepreneurship, this might be a potential career path for me. Right now it seems to me that the MBA is going to be a way less powerful tool in my case, and I definitely want to prove this to be wrong...finally, I believe that the MBA program you get admitted to must also play a major role: in my case I might have a higher probability of getting into a consulting firm after receiving my INSEAD/Said MBA, is it right?
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
DavideGMAT wrote:
Thanks, Linda. I was thinking of defining my career goals like this: MBA-Associate in a consulting firm either in Italy or in the UK-5 years later Senior-10 years later Partner. The thing is, if this is not working given my profile I might end up with reducing my chances to get admitted to some MBA programs, and I really don't want to do that. Maybe given the strong focus put by Said on social entrepreneurship, this might be a potential career path for me. Right now it seems to me that the MBA is going to be a way less powerful tool in my case, and I definitely want to prove this to be wrong...finally, I believe that the MBA program you get admitted to must also play a major role: in my case I might have a higher probability of getting into a consulting firm after receiving my INSEAD/Said MBA, is it right?

I just gave a webinar for Forte covering a lot of this topic. Obviously if I gave a 40-minute presentation, I can't put it all in a forum post. (HInt: A lot of my thoughts on this topic are in my book, MBA Admission for Smarties.)

Saying you want to work in the U.K. or Italy may be too narrow or not an issue at all, depending on the job market at the time you graduate. Perhaps it makes sense to soft-peddle the location part of your goal or simply describe it in terms of preference and not a requirement.

I think figuring out which goal will work at a given school and then stating that as a goal is backwards. First you need to figure you what you want to do and then you apply to the schools that will help you do it.

INSEAD is a major feeders school for consulting firms; it probably is also more insistent on full-time work experience. So give it a good try, because in some respects it's a great fit for you, but don't count on it. Bocconi is easier to get into and is the top program in Italy so it may help you move to Italy.

Best,
Linda
GMAT Club Bot