Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 02:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation: Fulltime or Executive MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Profile Evaluation: Fulltime or Executive MBA [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 03:02
This post received
KUDOS
Hello Amerasia

I would like to know whether you would advise me to go for Full-time MBA or EMBA Program and which schools might be best fit?

1. Age (at application): 34 Yrs
2. Education: Bachelor (4 Yr full-time, engineering, IIT), Masters + PhD (5 Yr full-time, management science, one of the top schools in Europe).
3. Work exp (at application): 2Yrs prior to PhD and 5 Yrs after PhD
4. Current Job: Planning Manager. Accountable for financial planning & managing spend of ~250M USD p.a. for an IT dept of Fortune Top 5 firm. 10+ direct reports (planners & analysts). 20+ indirect reports (extended team)
5. Progression: In my 4 yrs (present) work experience after PhD within the firm, I have grown extremely fast (several promotions - 4 job grades, significant increase in budget & FTE accountability) and I am seriously considering MBA to broaden my skillset.
6. GMAT: 700 (Q49 V35)
7. Application Target: R1 2015
8. Target Schools: IMD (#1 for me); INSEAD; MIT Sloan Fellows
9. Post-MBA: Largely Industry. Business Development/Commercial roles with my current employer (#1); CEO or COO office of large multinational (#2) in certain industries.

I have a strong preference for full-time MBA as I would like to take the time off for learning, development and reflection and would like to join back my employer but in a different function.

Appreciate your views. Many thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile Evaluation: Fulltime or Executive MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 21:15
Expert's post
Hey target35,

Thanks for reaching out to me and thanks for your well-laid out thoughts. It's definitely appreciated.

What you really have to consider is what you are giving up here. I imagine that at your place of employment you are making a pretty decent amount of coin. So how much is a year away at an accelerated or 1 year European MBA program really going to cost you? You really need to do the ROI on that one. How is it going to take you to make back that lost money? If you have to pull money out of savings, you need to calculate the lost earnings from an appreciation in asset value. Will your employer be providing you any tuition assistance? It sounds like they are on board, can you hit human resources up for some cash?
I'm sure you know the math and can work the numbers.

Also consider the role that you are going back into at your employer. It seems like you have had some pretty good progression at your current employer, will you be giving up any opportunities in the meantime and over the year that you will be gone? If so, you may want to consider an executive program. Additionally, if the role that you will return to is the next logical step in your career progression at the company (or close to it) – then you might also want to consider an executive program. Looking at it in a slightly different way, if you are not been a change careers or companies, why the need to do a full-time program? BTW, is your current company definitely open to you switching functions within the firm?

Personally, I like your reasons for why you want to go get an MBA. I think that you're thinking about it the right way. If you can get into a one-year program and it won't cost you too much financial strain, then go. If you don't think that you can get that internal job (internal switch), than go executive.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

target35 wrote:
Hello Amerasia

I would like to know whether you would advise me to go for Full-time MBA or EMBA Program and which schools might be best fit?

1. Age (at application): 34 Yrs
2. Education: Bachelor (4 Yr full-time, engineering, IIT), Masters + PhD (5 Yr full-time, management science, one of the top schools in Europe).
3. Work exp (at application): 2Yrs prior to PhD and 5 Yrs after PhD
4. Current Job: Planning Manager. Accountable for financial planning & managing spend of ~250M USD p.a. for an IT dept of Fortune Top 5 firm. 10+ direct reports (planners & analysts). 20+ indirect reports (extended team)
5. Progression: In my 4 yrs (present) work experience after PhD within the firm, I have grown extremely fast (several promotions - 4 job grades, significant increase in budget & FTE accountability) and I am seriously considering MBA to broaden my skillset.
6. GMAT: 700 (Q49 V35)
7. Application Target: R1 2015
8. Target Schools: IMD (#1 for me); INSEAD; MIT Sloan Fellows
9. Post-MBA: Largely Industry. Business Development/Commercial roles with my current employer (#1); CEO or COO office of large multinational (#2) in certain industries.

I have a strong preference for full-time MBA as I would like to take the time off for learning, development and reflection and would like to join back my employer but in a different function.

Appreciate your views. Many thanks!

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation: Fulltime or Executive MBA [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2014, 13:16
Hi Paul - Thank you so much for your detailed response! I really appreciate your time and insights.

- With regards to opportunity cost, I have done the calculations but emotions trump numbers. I have 30+ years of working life left (retirement age in my country is 65+) and would want to steer that in the right direction. I have limited responsibilities on the personal side at the moment so it is easier to take risk. It is a calculated risk and it will take me between 2-3 yrs to get RoI.
- I do intend to stay with my employer (unless a more challenging/attractive role comes up) post-MBA but would like to change the function. I might be able to change the function without an MBA but there is a certain "talent tag" associated at my employer with MBAs from selected schools so it is better to have that tag if I intend to stay longer in this firm. My employer has a very low attrition rate so people usually dont leave and that makes it very important to have that "talent tag" for progression.

I will PM you on this further to get your advise on applications. Many thanks again!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile Evaluation: Fulltime or Executive MBA [#permalink] New post 10 May 2014, 03:40
Expert's post
Hey target35,

My pleasure!

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

target35 wrote:
Hi Paul - Thank you so much for your detailed response! I really appreciate your time and insights.

- With regards to opportunity cost, I have done the calculations but emotions trump numbers. I have 30+ years of working life left (retirement age in my country is 65+) and would want to steer that in the right direction. I have limited responsibilities on the personal side at the moment so it is easier to take risk. It is a calculated risk and it will take me between 2-3 yrs to get RoI.
- I do intend to stay with my employer (unless a more challenging/attractive role comes up) post-MBA but would like to change the function. I might be able to change the function without an MBA but there is a certain "talent tag" associated at my employer with MBAs from selected schools so it is better to have that tag if I intend to stay longer in this firm. My employer has a very low attrition rate so people usually dont leave and that makes it very important to have that "talent tag" for progression.

I will PM you on this further to get your advise on applications. Many thanks again!

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton