Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 15:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation (German male with sports background)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation (German male with sports background) [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 07:41
Hi,

I just came back from my GMAT and now I would like to have my "quite unusual" profile evaluated.

The basics:
30 years old white male
Born and living in Germany
GMAT 710 (q47, v41)
TOEFL 114 of 120 (IBT)

Undergraduate Education
Bachelor of Computer Science (University of Potsdam)
GPA 2,3 (on a 1-5 scale where 1 is best)
Currently doing distance courses with the aim at becomming additional bachelor of business administration (half finished - current GPA 1,7 on a 1-5 scale where 1 is best)

Working experience
3 years military (sports soldier / competive athlete)
2,5 years junior project manager (biggest wholesaler in Europe)
1 year junior project director (start-up)
Currently as project director I am project lead for projects up to 8 employees with diverse background (design, engineering, IT). I am responsible for project up to 400k$.

Other achievements
I did 13 years of professional sport and was 7 years member of the national canoe team. I was twice medal-winner in international championships and member of the Olympic team for 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney.

I would like to start my MBA in 2008.

Questions :-)
1. I would like to apply to Stanford (I love this school), Harvard, MIT, NY Stern - what are my chances?
2. Should I mention my distance learning studies even when they are not yet finished, or do I have to finish it before applying?
3. I am member of "Mensa International" - should I mention this when applying?
4. I don't want to ask my current boss for a letter of reference because this might look bad when i am not going to be accepted. Is this negative for my application?

Thanks for your comments.

Best regards,
Marc
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation (German male with sports background) [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 19:00
Expert's post
MarcW wrote:
Hi,

I just came back from my GMAT and now I would like to have my "quite unusual" profile evaluated.

The basics:
30 years old white male
Born and living in Germany
GMAT 710 (q47, v41)
TOEFL 114 of 120 (IBT)

Undergraduate Education
Bachelor of Computer Science (University of Potsdam)
GPA 2,3 (on a 1-5 scale where 1 is best)
Currently doing distance courses with the aim at becomming additional bachelor of business administration (half finished - current GPA 1,7 on a 1-5 scale where 1 is best)

Working experience
3 years military (sports soldier / competive athlete)
2,5 years junior project manager (biggest wholesaler in Europe)
1 year junior project director (start-up)
Currently as project director I am project lead for projects up to 8 employees with diverse background (design, engineering, IT). I am responsible for project up to 400k$.

Other achievements
I did 13 years of professional sport and was 7 years member of the national canoe team. I was twice medal-winner in international championships and member of the Olympic team for 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney.

I would like to start my MBA in 2008.

Questions :-)
1. I would like to apply to Stanford (I love this school), Harvard, MIT, NY Stern - what are my chances?
2. Should I mention my distance learning studies even when they are not yet finished, or do I have to finish it before applying?
3. I am member of "Mensa International" - should I mention this when applying?
4. I don't want to ask my current boss for a letter of reference because this might look bad when i am not going to be accepted. Is this negative for my application?

Thanks for your comments.

Best regards,
Marc

Marc,

To your questions:

1. Decent chance at MIT and NYU. You seem competitive at these schools. HBS and Stanford would probably be longshots; just not enough distinctiveness or impact in your profile for me to 'upgrade' you to 'competitive' at these two schools. Your professional sports background is a definite asset for you in terms of 'diversity,' however.
2. You should mention the distance learning in your application's data section whether you complete it or not. You don't need to complete it before applying but if you don't explain in the optional essay why you are applying without completing that second degree. (If you will have it completed by the time you matriculate then no problem at all, but tell them this.)
3. You should list it in your applications' data section as a membership, but don't discuss it in any of your essays.
4. No, it's not; it's actually quite common. Just make sure you have a previous supervisor from the past year or so who will step in for the current one. B-schools really value supervisory reco letters so you need to make sure they get them.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog