Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 12:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation: Getting Into My Top 10

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GPA: 3.33
WE: General Management (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation: Getting Into My Top 10 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 15:11
Hello

I was hoping to get a little help/advice. I was hoping that someone could take a look at my profile and give me an idea of my chances of getting into "my top 10".

GMAT : 640
Undergrad: Univeristy of California, Santa Barbara
Major: Biological Sciences.
GPA: ~3.4

Work (~4 years):
1. Sales Manager - Retail
2. Project Manager/Engineer for major construction company in California. (Youngest one to have that position in company)
3. Agent / Criminal Investigator for the Federal Government (United States Department of Justice)
----Not that it is relevant but interesting: trained in close quarter combat, hand to hand combat, also skilled with various firearms.
----Educated in several Financial Investigations

Below is my list of schools that I want to apply to (not in any particular order):
1. ASU
2. UT @ Austin
3. UC San Diego
4. U of Arizona
5. Georgetown
6. UC Davis
7. UC Irvine
8. Texas A&M
9. San Diego State
10. U of North Carolina

Also... What is your take on MBA Consultants.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Schulich, Rotman '15
GMAT Date: 03-28-2012
GPA: 2.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 9

Re: Profile Evaluation: Getting Into My Top 10 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 16:09
Did a little research on this one for you ( you can pay me back with a kudos ;) )

In terms of US rankings, the US News had these schools ranked at the following:
UT @ Austin (#17)
U of North Carolina (#19)
Georgetown (#25)
ASU (#27)
UC Davis (#28)
8. Texas A&M (#32)
UC Irvine (#40)
U of Arizona (#63)
San Diego State (NR)
UC San Diego (Only one I couldnt find.)

In terms of what your stats would allow you to accomplish pretty well any of these schools. Both Austin and Chapel Hill are going to be competitive, but as long as you put the effort into your into your application you should have no problems.

Best of luck with it!

“Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” - Greg Anderson

Follow my Journey at: nphelan-s-road-to-117533.html

Kudos? Don't mind if I do!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Schulich, Rotman '15
GMAT Date: 03-28-2012
GPA: 2.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 9

Re: Profile Evaluation: Getting Into My Top 10 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 16:12
What I will add though is the 3.4 GPA is solid, work experience is solid, but for those schools mentioned, right up until around that #40 mark (UC Irvine) you're gonna have a lower than average GMAT score, 640 is a great score, but not too competitive amongst the norm for those schools. So I would focus on making sure the rest of your application is well written.

“Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” - Greg Anderson

Follow my Journey at: nphelan-s-road-to-117533.html

Kudos? Don't mind if I do!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: AGSM '16
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Profile Evaluation: Getting Into My Top 10 [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 21:10
hi all,

gave my gmat yesterday..got 720(Q48 V41). Now faced with the question - which schools am i looking at with this score and my profile!?

Profile:

male/23/ Indian

Undergrad: ( B. E. -Chemical Engineering) - from Manipal Institute of Technology (among the top 15 colgs in India) - 2010
- graduated summa cum laude

Masters: (M. Tech. - Energy Studies) - from IIT Delhi ( among the top 3 colgs in India) - 2012
- gpa of 8.63/10 ( among the top 5 on the class)
- completing the course in may 2012

GMAT: 720 - Q48 (80th percentile) and V41(92nd percentile), AWA (expected >5)

Work Ex: None as of yet. Aiming to apply for Fall 2014.
- Gonna work as a Consultant in one of the Big 4 consulting firms from June 2012 ( So can clock in 2 years work
ex. by the time of applying to colgs)

Projects:
- conducted an energy audit of a petroleum refinery for 6 months, the observations and sugestions of which resulted in significant savings for the refinery. (Undergrad project)
- developed a new diesel fuel (diesel microemulsion fuel) as a part of Masters project.

Extra Curriculars:
Positions of Responsibility:
- Was the President of the Student Council during Under Grad. - work involved conducting fests, student welfare activites, community service activities, etc.)
- Management Captain of a team that designed and built a baja to take part in the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) International Baja Competition 2009 (ranked 62nd out of 120). Work involved procuring funds for the project, advertising, budgeting and a lot of co-ordinating with the colg authorities.
- Secretary of a National Technical Club (Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers)
- M. Tech. Representative in the Students Affairs Council during Graduation ( Masters program)

Sports:
- a career in free style skating (1995 to 2004)- won national level prizes (gold - 11, silver - 8, bronze -6)
- badminton player - member of the colg team during Under Grad.
- Chess: ranked 16th in the state level open chess tournament

Could you pls give me an idea as to which schools could i consider "safe" or competitive or stretch with this profile and a 720 on the gmat?? I am very keen to pursue an mba in technology management or human resource development.

Thanks!!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3.45
WE: General Management (Law)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation: Getting Into My Top 10 [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 00:13
I would be very well prepared for an interview with ASU, I got into every other school I applied for and ranking wise, ASU was the lowest, but I got denied at ASU because of a rough interview.

Feel free to read about my progress

http://20somethingsmba.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation: Getting Into My Top 10 [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 03:24
Hi,

I require some guidance here.
I gave my GMAT today and got just 640.
I have 2 years work experience at a big-four audit firm.

Please suggest some good universities.

My target universities were Carnegie Mellon, Texas A&M, Michigan-Ross, Oxford, Kellogg.
Now, should I stop applying to all these because of my score?

Should I retake the GMAT?
Re: Profile Evaluation: Getting Into My Top 10   [#permalink] 23 May 2012, 03:24