Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 23:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation - GMAT 660

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Profile evaluation - GMAT 660 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2012, 22:49
Hi,

Could you please help me in evaluating my profile.

I wrote GMAT and scored 660 (Q-49, V-31)

I did B.Tech from Computer Science in 2010.
I have 2yrs of IT experience in Accenture Services Private Ltd.
I volunteered several programs in Greenpeace.
I have some leadership experience in my college.
I was the troop leader for the Bharat scouts and Guides Rashtrapathi camp and received the certificate for the same from the President of India.
I secured 81 rank in the national Maths Olympiad.
Won many accolades(First and runners up) in several inter-college competitions.
I am working on an application development for Automated performance appraisal systems development as an initiative other than what i do at office.

Am planning to change my domain from S/W to Finance.
I want to know whether I should go for 1yr/2yr/Execitve MBA/MS in Finance.
Which all universities shall i apply in and in which all do i stand a good change to get through? My preference is ISB hyderabad.
Would I get any scholarship for MBA in US universities? If yes, which universities should I apply for?

Thanks in advance for the help
Sam
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Stratus Prep Admissions Consultant
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: Profile evaluation - GMAT 660 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 12:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sam,

I really appreciate your sending me your profile, and I am happy to give you some advice about schools to which to apply. As you may know, Stratus Prep has worked successfully with many Indian applicants who like you are looking to switch from computer science to finance; thus, I am happy to share our unique expertise with you.

While I do think you would be competitive at ISB Hyderabad, I think you should strongly consider 2-year MBA programs internationally as well, for a number of reasons. First, even though you want to go into finance, given your technology/computer science background you will need to build skills in management, marketing, operations in order to have a long and successful career in finance. I believe a top American 2-year MBA program abroad will best teach you these broad-based management skills (though I would also consider a few European schools). Second, even if you intend to spend the majority of your working life in India, having a degree from a leading international business school will represent a significant advantage in terms of branding and networking. From such a program, you will gain a global perspective and meet classmates from all over the world from whom you will learn and to whom you can go for advice and support in the years to come. Third, given your profile (though I would ideally want to know your undergraduate academic performance), I believe that, with the help of an expert admissions consultant who has worked with other applicants like you, you will be competitive (due to your Accenture experience and GMAT score, especially the quant) at a number of top schools outside India. As I mentioned, Stratus Prep has an unparalleled track record helping applicants with your background gain entry to top international schools.

In terms of specific schools, I recommend focusing on schools in New York City and London, since they are major financial hubs; this will facilitate your recruiting. For example, you should look seriously at Columbia Business School, NYU Stern, and London Business School. Also, Duke has a strong finance program and very diverse population of international students. I would also consider Michigan and Cornell. We have had students admitted to these schools with significant merit-based scholarships so it is very possible for you to receive scholarships from these schools.

To be successful at any of these schools, you will need to do an exceptional job developing and communicating your story and career vision in order to convince the schools that you should be admitted (rather than other applicants with very similar admissions profiles). Even though both finance and computer science are quantitative, many other applicants (especially from Indian) are trying to make this shift, so you must differentiate yourself. The team of highly-qualified MBA admissions counselors at Stratus Prep and I have extensive experience working with applicants who are transitioning between these fields, and we can advise you how to best communicate your reasons for wanting to make this shift in a way that will truly resonate with the admissions committees and help you not only win admission but also earn a merit-based scholarship.

If you would like to discuss the possibility of working with Stratus Prep on your applications to optimize your chances of admission to a top program, feel free to private message me or email me at shawn.oconnor@stratusprep.com. My team and I would love to work with you, and we hope to be in touch with you soon.

Best,
Shawn

Shawn O'Connor
Founder/CEO, Stratus Prep
shawn.oconnor@stratusprep.com
212-307-1788
http://www.stratusprep.com

Re: Profile evaluation - GMAT 660   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2012, 12:33