Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 13:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation, GMAT 650

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation, GMAT 650 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 04:02
Hi,

I have recently taken GMAT but my score stood 650 after all my efforts. Please evaluate my profile and provide your valuable feedback/suggestions.

Personal:
Vibha/ 29 Y/ Female/ Indian

GMAT:
1st attempt - 650; V- 30(66%), Q – 49 (83%)

Academics:
Under grads – B.Tech (Information Technology) Overall percentage – 76% (with honors), GPA – 3.5, Stood 2nd at university level in 4th Semester, 3rd in 5th semester and 2nd again in 7th semester.

Work Experience:
- 7.5 years of full time work experience with Infosys Technologies
- Current designation is Technology Lead and role and responsibility involve managing projects.
- Got three promotions till date
- Managing a team of 16 associates
- Always worked with International Banking clients and thus have a very strong knowledge of international banking.
- Received a number of awards from Infosys such as Insta Award ’12, Spot Award ’12, Most Valuable Performer Award ’11 etc.

Extracurricular:
- Started my own training and placement firm, The Modulator, in 2010 (with my husband) and ran it till Jan 2012 (almost 2 years). Got a very good exposure but due to some personal reasons merged it with another training firm and taken out my share.
- One of the The Modulator unit (named 'Free Mondays') is still managed by me; Now it is renamed as 'Vibha's Mondays' in the new firm. It is a non-profit initiative wherein I provide basic computer training to underprivileged children every Monday evenings.
- I am a self-motivated artist and organized a number of my art work exhibitions, a few were curated by me. I am the founder of an online non-profit artists’ forum, UniqueArtClub. com, which is created with a vision to assist self-motivated/new artists to start their art career.
- College and school level:
Started an art and cultural club in college (being the first B.Tech batch of college got the privilege to do a fresh start of a club). This experienced helped a lot in creating a vision to start UniqueArtClub. com.
Vice-president of my school house (grouping of school children in 4 houses) during my school.
- Major awards won in school and college:
Best painter (State level)
Selected as Miss School 2000 (beauty collaborated with intelligence)
A number of awards in school level speech contests, dance competitions.. list is endless.

Few of my queries –
1. I am not planning to take the GMAT again and I am targeting top-20 schools in US and Rotman in Canada. Could you please provide me the list of at least 5 best schools out of these where I might have more than 70% chances to get in.
2. Which top 20 US schools you may help me the most to get in, with a target success rate of at least 90% or above? (I might take package for those schools with you)
3. What do you think are my major strengths and weaknesses?
4. I am planning for 2014 batch and I still have some time, so what areas I should focus to make a strong competitive profile.
5. What should be my road map to get into a good b-school, such as by when should I finish the school shortlisting, when to start the school packages and so on.

I value your time and effort you put in my queries. Thanks in advance.
Vibha
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile evaluation, GMAT 650 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 08:43
Expert's post
Vibha-

Thanks for your email. As you know, the Indian applicant pool is a deep one, and having an IT background is going to be pretty common (lots of Infosys applicants too even more specifically). Being female, however is a big advantage, as it's a much smaller pool and b-schools are always trying to boost the percentage of female applicants. Duke is pretty good specifically about having a high percentage of women applicants and right down the road at UNC, their international student population is fairly large with a big contingency from India. It is very difficult to reduce recommendations into your percentage requests. There is no way to assign odds specifically to a school or person. A 650 on the GMAT is a good score and will be in the 80% range of most of the top 20. Your leadership experience is also a strength, and being a tad more mature than the average applicant will help. Since teamwork and leadership and maturity are marquee traits to demonstrate, I would say you have a good chance at schools in the top 20, albeit perhaps more of a stretch for the top 10 just due to the size of your application pool. I'd take a closer look at schools like Tepper, Goizueta, McDonough, Owen and Jones in addition to Duke and KF as stretch schools. With all that work experience, you might also consider either a one year program (Emory has a good one and they are still taking applications now for the class that starts in May if you hurry). Also, EMBA programs might be within reach as well since they are hurting for women applicants and you have the minimum experience for some of these programs.

As for roadmap, you should try to narrow your schools pretty quickly so you can begin arranging visits if possible. We have a school selector tool on our website that is pretty nifty. Give yourself at least a couple of months of introspection and writing not to mention gathering all the transcripts and recommenders. I would say 5-6 schools would be a good number to try and hit when the applications are released, but that's too many to ask one recommender to do. Generally 3 schools is about all I would do with any one recommender. Hope this is useful. We'd love to help you if you need it.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews