Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 12:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PROFILE EVALUATION GMAT 700

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

PROFILE EVALUATION GMAT 700 [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 05:48
Good day,

Kindly do the evaluation of my profile

M 34, INDIA.

GMAT : 700 ( Q 47, V 40)

College : BITS PILANI ,
CGPA : 8.15 / 10 ( Most of the grades are good or excellent, 3 grades are fair)
Major : B.S. Nautical science( distance learning)
Year of graduation : 2006.
Mode of learning : Distance learning
As stated above I completed B.S. Nautical science through distance learning to attain a formal university B.S. degree. Although the course is a 4 year ( 8 semester course), I got a wavier of 2 semester on basis of my professional experience. I could complete the course in 3 years.

Professional qualification : Master ( FG)

Apart my formal B.S. degree, I hold Masters ( FG) licence to work on merchant ships as Master. Obtaining a Master's licence requires lot of studies, although these studies are not graded but the studies follow a standard IMO model ( United nations approved model), which requires a process of 7 to 8 years minimum and which includes lots of studies( studies which include class attendance and some very strict exams.)

Work Experience

Iam working as Captain of merchant ships, a job which requires lot of leadership skills.
Total work experience( all ranks included) : 11 years + (4 years training),
Right from being a cadet and finally to become a Captain of a ship requires a keen focus on leadership skills.
Main points
1) My core competence is in oil and gas( I have mostly worked on or commanded oil and gas ships) .
3) Worked and interacted with people from at least 40 different nations( all continents included except Alaska). Also traveled to all continents ( except Alaska) for work.
4) Lead teams with people from at least 20 different nations.( though all may not be included at same time)
5) A strong team player,my primary work is to motivate people and get some of the toughest work from them in most challenging conditions.
6) I am among the the first few Indian mariners to work on LNG ships and was instrumental in first successful technology transfer of LNG transportation to leading Indian National company.

Target schools for full time MBA ( order does not matter)

1) Harvard ( DREAM)
2) Stanford
3) Wharton
4) MIT / Sloan
5) Kellogs
6) Columbia
7) Chicago Booth
8) Tuck
9) NYU Stern
10) Yale
11) Haas
12) INSEAD
13) Mccombs
14) Rice/ Jones
15) Duke

MY USP : What I bring on table is something very unique, an experience of management of merchant ships. The job requires to manage people, trade, and budget in efficient ways to maintain high standards of safety, security and commerce ( client satisfaction).
This work is very different from the work of a typical military / naval officer or commander.
We do few of most dangerous works with out fear of being court marshaled. Such works are either can be done with military style rules and hierarchy or can be done with some very strong team play.
There are many other aspects of my job and experience that I will put in my applications and essays. The list is endless ...

My future Goals : To learn the general buisness management, learning that will enable me to culminate my experience and knowledge to set up a consultancy firm . This sort of consultancy will cater to oil companies, energy traders, and banks for managing and securing key elements of energy transportation.

Based on above kindly advise my chances in various listed schools

1) Strech
2) Competitive
3) Safe

P.S. : I understand my age is on higher side, but when does age has stopped us from dreaming and achieving something big.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: PROFILE EVALUATION GMAT 700 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2013, 06:31
smoothnavigator wrote:
Good day,

Kindly do the evaluation of my profile

M 34, INDIA.

GMAT : 700 ( Q 47, V 40)

College : BITS PILANI ,
CGPA : 8.15 / 10 ( Most of the grades are good or excellent, 3 grades are fair)
Major : B.S. Nautical science( distance learning)
Year of graduation : 2006.
Mode of learning : Distance learning
As stated above I completed B.S. Nautical science through distance learning to attain a formal university B.S. degree. Although the course is a 4 year ( 8 semester course), I got a wavier of 2 semester on basis of my professional experience. I could complete the course in 3 years.

Professional qualification : Master ( FG)

Apart my formal B.S. degree, I hold Masters ( FG) licence to work on merchant ships as Master. Obtaining a Master's licence requires lot of studies, although these studies are not graded but the studies follow a standard IMO model ( United nations approved model), which requires a process of 7 to 8 years minimum and which includes lots of studies( studies which include class attendance and some very strict exams.)

Work Experience

Iam working as Captain of merchant ships, a job which requires lot of leadership skills.
Total work experience( all ranks included) : 11 years + (4 years training),
Right from being a cadet and finally to become a Captain of a ship requires a keen focus on leadership skills.
Main points
1) My core competence is in oil and gas( I have mostly worked on or commanded oil and gas ships) .
3) Worked and interacted with people from at least 40 different nations( all continents included except Alaska). Also traveled to all continents ( except Alaska) for work.
4) Lead teams with people from at least 20 different nations.( though all may not be included at same time)
5) A strong team player,my primary work is to motivate people and get some of the toughest work from them in most challenging conditions.
6) I am among the the first few Indian mariners to work on LNG ships and was instrumental in first successful technology transfer of LNG transportation to leading Indian National company.

Target schools for full time MBA ( order does not matter)

1) Harvard ( DREAM)
2) Stanford
3) Wharton
4) MIT / Sloan
5) Kellogs
6) Columbia
7) Chicago Booth
8) Tuck
9) NYU Stern
10) Yale
11) Haas
12) INSEAD
13) Mccombs
14) Rice/ Jones
15) Duke

MY USP : What I bring on table is something very unique, an experience of management of merchant ships. The job requires to manage people, trade, and budget in efficient ways to maintain high standards of safety, security and commerce ( client satisfaction).
This work is very different from the work of a typical military / naval officer or commander.
We do few of most dangerous works with out fear of being court marshaled. Such works are either can be done with military style rules and hierarchy or can be done with some very strong team play.
There are many other aspects of my job and experience that I will put in my applications and essays. The list is endless ...

My future Goals : To learn the general buisness management, learning that will enable me to culminate my experience and knowledge to set up a consultancy firm . This sort of consultancy will cater to oil companies, energy traders, and banks for managing and securing key elements of energy transportation.

Based on above kindly advise my chances in various listed schools

1) Strech
2) Competitive
3) Safe

P.S. : I understand my age is on higher side, but when does age has stopped us from dreaming and achieving something big.

Good day experts,

Please be kind enough to evaluate my profile.

Tks and Brgds
Intern
Intern

Re: PROFILE EVALUATION GMAT 700 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2013, 21:08

Good day experts,

Please be kind enough to evaluate my profile.

Tks and Brgds
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: PROFILE EVALUATION GMAT 700 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2013, 04:44
Thank you for your posting.

Let me start off by saying that you come from a very competitive demographic and there are many more qualified candidates than there are spots allocated every year. This means that you have to stand out on every aspect of your candidacy.

Let me start off with the positive aspects to your candidacy which is your unique background in merchant shipping - which, as you point out will add some diversity to the class. The second is your professional training as business schools view this very favorably and view you as having well developed leadership skills. Lastly, you show that through your academics that you can handle the academic aspect of business school -- which during the first year can be challenging both from an academic/intellectual perspective as well as from a workload perspective.

The weaknesses to your candidacy include your age (this is a bit old for some of the schools on your list), your GMAT score (on the lower side of most competitive Indian candidates) and grades (most competitive Indian candidates have excellent grades across the board). However, again, the most challenging aspect of your candidacy is your demographics.

Based on the information you provide, here are your chances at each of the schools on your list and my recommendation on whether you should apply or not.

1) Harvard ( DREAM) -- I do not see you as competitive/you age is a major factor here/ would not recommend applying
2) Stanford -- I do not see you are competitive/your background does not comply with what Stanford values/ would not recommend applying
3) Wharton -- the most open minded of the Big 3 programs / think with a strong application that your candidacy would be considered competitive/recommend applying.
4) MIT / Sloan -- I do not see you as competitive here / the school is small and has a high percentage of Indian candidates/ recommend not applying
5) Kellog - You would add diversity to the school/age is not a factor/ recommend applying
6) Columbia -- I do not see a connection between you and the school/do not recommend applying
7) Chicago Booth -- the school values international candidates and unique experiences / recommend applying
8) Tuck -- the small class size makes admissions tricky / do not recommend applying
9) NYU Stern - like Columbia, do not see a connection here / recommend not applying
10) Yale -- a tricky one but see a connection here and that they would value your application / recommend applying
11) Haas - very low admissions rate and preference towards tech candidates/ recommend not applying
12) INSEAD -- very international and diverse student population / recommend applying
13) Mccombs -- seeks out diverse candidates / competitive on all fronts / recommend applying
14) Rice/ Jones -- same as Mccombs -- recommend applying
15) Duke -- seeks diverse and international candidates -- recommend applying.

Good luck in your application process.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 265 [0], given: 67

Re: PROFILE EVALUATION GMAT 700 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 19:59
Hi
I am not an expert, but only challenge i feel with the profile are the age and undergrad. The profile is extremely sought after profile by the b schools and have known ppl with such profile and low gmat attending colleges such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford etc..... So, i say you must go ahead and apply to the colleges.

Archit
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: PROFILE EVALUATION GMAT 700 [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 04:45
Hi, I will be obliged if you provide feedback on my profile:

Nationality : Indian
Education : Bachelor of Engineering: ( Mechanical) from one of the top Universities of India CGPA ( 3.6/4.0)
Master Degree in Finance and Supply chain management from School of Management, IIT Bombay.
CGPA ( 3.4/4)
GMAT - 740
Selected Relevant Experience:
• As a Senior Consultant with one of big 4 consulting firm
• Lead a team of consultants, for financial modeling projects, and played the role of Subject Matter Expert in the area of treasury support, cash flow budgeting, forecasting and led accounts payable team
• Delivered analytical reports to meet working capital management requirement and transaction risk analysis
• Built system for developing financial modeling for evaluation of acquisition opportunities
• Acted as an instructor and pre sales facilitator for the US development team
• Presented paper on simplified equity shares valuation guidelines at the Knowledge Transfer Seminar in San Jose, California
• Prepared audit plan and ensured its effective implementation

• As an Engineering Manager with Engineering Design Firm
• Played instrumental role in developing Fatigue and DT Analysis capabilities in Product Engineering Solutions division of Atkins
• Played instrumental role in production planning and scheduling and also in material management
• Led technical team for business process reengineering in Bristol, United Kingdom

• Internship with Multinational Bank
• Carried out in depth economic indicator analysis of the eastern region states using secondary literature
• Identified possible opportunities in project and infrastructure financing by analysis of financial statements
• Conducted feasibility analysis and developed recommendation for long term implementation plans
Extra-Curricular : Decent
Please give me suggestion whether I have chance in the following schools:

Stern, NYU
Mc.Combs, U.Texas
Kelly , Indiana University
UCLA, Anderson
UNC, Kenan Flager
Ross, Michigan
Darden
Tuck
Re: PROFILE EVALUATION GMAT 700   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2013, 04:45