Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
, given: 5
PROFILE EVALUATION GMAT 700 [#permalink]
20 Apr 2013, 08:01
Kindly do the evaluation of my profile
M 34, INDIA.
GMAT : 700 ( Q 47, V 40)
College : BITS PILANI ,
CGPA : 8.15 / 10 ( Most of the grades are good or excellent, 3 grades are fair)
Major : B.S. Nautical science( distance learning)
Year of graduation : 2006.
Mode of learning : Distance learning
As stated above I completed B.S. Nautical science through distance learning to attain a formal university B.S. degree. Although the course is a 4 year ( 8 semester course), I got a wavier of 2 semester on basis of my professional experience. I could complete the course in 3 years.
Professional qualification : Master ( FG)
Apart my formal B.S. degree, I hold Masters ( FG) licence to work on merchant ships as Master. Obtaining a Master's licence requires lot of studies, although these studies are not graded but the studies follow a standard IMO model ( United nations approved model), which requires a process of 7 to 8 years minimum and which includes lots of studies( studies which include class attendance and some very strict exams.)
Iam working as Captain of merchant ships, a job which requires lot of leadership skills.
Total work experience( all ranks included) : 11 years + (4 years training),
Right from being a cadet and finally to become a Captain of a ship requires a keen focus on leadership skills.
1) My core competence is in oil and gas( I have mostly worked on or commanded oil and gas ships) .
3) Worked and interacted with people from at least 40 different nations( all continents included except Alaska). Also traveled to all continents ( except Alaska) for work.
4) Lead teams with people from at least 20 different nations.( though all may not be included at same time)
5) A strong team player,my primary work is to motivate people and get some of the toughest work from them in most challenging conditions.
6) I am among the the first few Indian mariners to work on LNG ships and was instrumental in first successful technology transfer of LNG transportation to leading Indian National company.
Target schools for full time MBA ( order does not matter)
1) Harvard ( DREAM)
4) MIT / Sloan
7) Chicago Booth
9) NYU Stern
14) Rice/ Jones
MY USP : What I bring on table is something very unique, an experience of management of merchant ships. The job requires to manage people, trade, and budget in efficient ways to maintain high standards of safety, security and commerce ( client satisfaction).
This work is very different from the work of a typical military / naval officer or commander.
We do few of most dangerous works with out fear of being court marshaled. Such works are either can be done with military style rules and hierarchy or can be done with some very strong team play.
There are many other aspects of my job and experience that I will put in my applications and essays. The list is endless ...
My future Goals : To learn the general buisness management, learning that will enable me to culminate my experience and knowledge to set up a consultancy firm . This sort of consultancy will cater to oil companies, energy traders, and banks for managing and securing key elements of energy transportation.
Based on above kindly advise my chances in various listed schools
P.S. : I understand my age is on higher side, but when does age has stopped us from dreaming and achieving something big.
Tks and Brgds