Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 17:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation, GMAT 2nd attempt 620 (Q49, V25), HELP

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.32
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation, GMAT 2nd attempt 620 (Q49, V25), HELP [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 10:21
Hi everyone,

I re-wrote my gmat yesterday and got a disappointing score of 620 and debating with myself whether to take the gmat again or to start application process. A brief background and objective for myself:

GPA: graduated from University of Arizona as a finance major with a 3.22/4.00 major GPA, but overall GPA of 2.96/4.00 (not sure if I should put my major gpa or the overall gpa on my application)

GMAT: First attempt in Sep, 2011 (Q44, V24, AWA 4.5, Score 560)
GMAT: Second attempt in Oct, 2011 (Q49, V25, Score 620)

Experience: 2 years in banking industry working for wells fargo bank, and 1 year experience in brokerage. Total work experience in financial industry post-graduate 4 years

Target school: University of Southern California (Marshall), Cornell (Johnson), UCLA (Anderson), University of North Carolina

Programs: Full-time two year MBA

Objective post-MBA-graduate: start as analyst for investment bank, like Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs

Right now, I am debating that I should start my essay writing process so I can meet the round 1 deadline or register again for my 3rd GMAT attempt and apply in the second round. Also, is there any other schools that you recommend for my career path? Please, I am desperate for advice now. :(
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 560 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation, GMAT 2nd attempt 620 (Q49, V25), HELP [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 01:45
Expert's post
Take the GMAT again. With your target schools, you will need that higher score. You only do this ONCE in your life, so give yourself the best possible chances.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation, GMAT 2nd attempt 620 (Q49, V25), HELP [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 20:57
Hi jeffua,

A higher gmat score preferable above 700 would be needed for the desired schools. Take practise GMAT tests to see how you are doing. If you cannot do that don’t worry. What might work instead is to set aside 1-2 hours at night on weekdays and major part of your weekend to study and prepare for GMAT- in this case we will suggest a good 2-3 months preparation. However we recommend you to keep taking practise tests to gauge your performance. It will help you in identifying your weak areas and you can focus on them accordingly. You might be able to study more than the given hours and that would take you less than 2-3 months. It all depends on your potential really.
There are various ways you can use to practise for your GMAT. You might need to change your practise style and try this combination to provide you flexibility and different styles to practise so it doesn’t get monotonous.
It could be combination of-
1-Books- Books like- The Official Guide for GMAT Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review etc could be used.
2-Online Study Guide: Websites like Knewton, Grockit etc provide you with practise questions online.
3-Smart phone applications- Kaplan, Veritas etc offer applications to prepare for GMAT on your smart phones

Thanks!
Kavita Singh
FutureWorks Consulting
Pre Application Strategies|Admission Consulting |Pre-Departure Coaching|Workshops

Find out where you stand with our Free Assessment Test or drop your resume at kavita@futureworks.co.in

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.32
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation, GMAT 2nd attempt 620 (Q49, V25), HELP [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 12:42
Thank you so much of both of your advices. I am re-taking the test (again) in Nov, and will work on more practice exams to boost my verbal score. Should I also start my essay at this time as well or just focus on the gmat?
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 560 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation, GMAT 2nd attempt 620 (Q49, V25), HELP [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 10:50
Expert's post
If you can do both: YES!!! Start those essays. You will only thank yourself later.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Profile Evaluation, GMAT 2nd attempt 620 (Q49, V25), HELP   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2011, 10:50