Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation: Gmat 660 Q 45 V 36

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Profile Evaluation: Gmat 660 Q 45 V 36 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2014, 05:01
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,
I took my GMAT for the third time yesterday and score 660.(the previous attempts were 480 and 610).
Work Experience: approx 3 years
2.5 +years in my family business(Import and marketing of Bearings)(Involved in expansion and strategical decisions such as Inventory management,projection etc)
Highlights:1.Brought new products under the portfolio with strategic alliances with companies,set up new regional offices.
Had to join my family business,as having a family business was going against me in job interviews. Employers thought having a family business would not make a definite bet. Hence joined the business to see if I had a long term interest,which I don't.
0.5 Internship with one of the top 5 Asset reconstruction companies(Streamlining of processes with respect to the retail banking portfolio)
1.5 month- with Jp Morgan.(was one of the 10 people selected from my college)

Education:Completed Masters of Commerce in Accountancy.(university of mumbai)
Was fourth in college for Mcom part 2 with a percentage of 70.5(average of both 63.5. Had fractured my right hand(writing) during my exams in part 1)

Completed my Bachelors in Business administration(university of mumbai)Graduated in 2011
Aggregate of 69.5%.
Received O (outstanding) grade for my university project on Money Laundering.
All projects during graduation were appreciated and given the highest grades

Std12. Commerce - 65.5%

Std10-75.5%

Extra Curricular:
Won the second prize in national level seminar held on Corporate Governance and Social responsibility.(Competition was between 10 teams)
Studying German Language.(a1 level exam due next month)
Run a small non profit organization with my family where we help people suffering from cancer and other life threatening diseases.(provide them with medicines and food)
Volunteered in the Colleges Annual festival in the Finance Department.(Managed to raise approx 150$)
Conducted Orientation for incoming students in my college.
Volunteer With make-a-wish foundation India.

Post MBA goals: Want to get into Consulting(strategy,Management),Have a Non profit idea(a joint initiative with a couple of friends) for which I have a small amount of funding,would like to make it a reality.

How realistic is my target of Darden,Michigan(Ross),UCLA Anderson,Cornell,Judge(Cambridge)
My dream Colleges are:Tuck, Haas and IE business school.What are the chances,if any?

Regards,
Anuj

Last edited by peacewarriors on 13 May 2014, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile Evaluation: Gmat 660 Q 45 V 36 [#permalink] New post 13 May 2014, 16:27
Expert's post
Hey Anuj,

Thanks for reaching out to me.
I'm you know already that your current GMAT score is going to be too low for the schools you list - Darden ,Michigan(Ross),UCLA Anderson,Cornell,Judge(Cambridge), Tuck, Haas and IE business school. I know this is not new news either - you should retake the GMAT. You are improving remarkably and with only 5 or 6 more questions correct, you could be at the 700+ mark.

I know it's a major pain in the ass (to retake the GMAT), but I want to paint a picture for what is going to happen several months from now (should you not take it and apply to your list of schools anyway.)

You will be sitting there full of anxiety (yes, more than now!) as you wait knowing full well that you are on the bubble. You will rack your brain, talking to as many admissions committee people, current students and alumni to see what edge you could possible gain. You will probably start annoying the shit out of all these people, plus your family. Meanwhile other people you know (that are applying) will be getting in, and asking what is up with you. You won't say much though because you really don't have anything good to report. And you probably won't. If you do, you'll most likely be saying how you got into Northwest Dakota State's MBA program.
    The months of anxiety, anguish, embarrassment, exhaustion and pain that come with you not knowing where you will go - if any place - is an exercise in futility. It's too late and it's like watching a train crash over and over again. All of this can be cured up front (now) and by re-taking the GMAT. So take all of the energy you are going to spend suffering and put it to work now.

The bottom line is that you can either pay the piper now (early in the app season) - by retaking the GMAT, getting a better score (or exhausting all opportunities to get a better score) and then determining and applying to a realistic set of schools. Right now you're way off with respect to calibrating GMAT score to school selection.

With respect to your work experience, I am not sure I understand the logic you lay out here.

"Had to join my family business,as having a family business was going against me in job interviews. Employers thought having a family business would not make a definite bet. Hence joined the business to see if I had a long term interest,which I don't."

So the companies that elected to spend their time and resources interviewing you had already determined that you would not be a good fit because your family had a company? Then why would they spend their time interviewing you in the first place? I believe your description of what happened, but it seems to me that they were wasting their time and your time. Rather strange.

Anyway, I don't blame you for not wanting to work at your family company. lol. Hopefully, its not because your father or siblings are driving you crazy. But if it is - its not relevant for your application because your real reason (for moving on) should be centered on how you love solving issues, and how successful you have been improving your family's company/operations/profitability/etc. This success has given rise to your desire to pursue even greater challenges, as well as a more diverse set of challenges. Addressing these types of challenges can only come through a role in management consulting. And of course you are going to need the skills to address these challenges, and that requires you getting an MBA! With respect to long-term goals, I would focus more on returning to India to assist SME's like your family business.

One last point - I believe your depression/anxiety occurred while you were in high school and not college. If this is the case then you don't really need to mention it on the application as an explanation for grades, lack of involvement, time off, etc.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

anujpadia wrote:
Hi,
I took my GMAT for the third time yesterday and score 660.(the previous attempts were 480 and 610).
Work Experience: approx 3 years
2.5 +years in my family business(Import and marketing of Bearings)(Involved in expansion and strategical decisions such as Inventory management,projection etc)
Highlights:1.Brought new products under the portfolio with strategic alliances with companies,set up new regional offices.
Had to join my family business,as having a family business was going against me in job interviews. Employers thought having a family business would not make a definite bet. Hence joined the business to see if I had a long term interest,which I don't.
0.5 Internship with one of the top 5 Asset reconstruction companies(Streamlining of processes with respect to the retail banking portfolio)
1.5 month- with Jp Morgan.(was one of the 10 people selected from my college)

Education:Completed Masters of Commerce in Accountancy.(university of mumbai)
Was fourth in college for Mcom part 2 with a percentage of 70.5(average of both 63.5. Had fractured my right hand(writing) during my exams in part 1)

Completed my Bachelors in Business administration(university of mumbai)Graduated in 2011
Aggregate of 69.5%.
Received O (outstanding) grade for my university project on Money Laundering.
All projects during graduation were appreciated and given the highest grades

Std12. Commerce - 65.5%
Suffered Severe depression and inferiority complex from 2006 - 2009,due to which I had to take a break from my education for a year(2007-08)

Std10-75.5%

Extra Curricular:
Won the second prize in national level seminar held on Corporate Governance and Social responsibility.(Competition was between 10 teams)
Studying German Language.(a1 level exam due next month)
Run a small non profit organization with my family where we help people suffering from cancer and other life threatening diseases.(provide them with medicines and food)
Volunteered in the Colleges Annual festival in the Finance Department.(Managed to raise approx 150$)
Conducted Orientation for incoming students in my college.
Volunteer With make-a-wish foundation India.

Post MBA goals: Want to get into Consulting(strategy,Management),Have a Non profit idea(a joint initiative with a couple of friends) for which I have a small amount of funding,would like to make it a reality.

How realistic is my target of Darden,Michigan(Ross),UCLA Anderson,Cornell,Judge(Cambridge)
My dream Colleges are:Tuck, Haas and IE business school.What are the chances,if any?

Regards,
Anuj

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profile Evaluation: Gmat 660 Q 45 V 36 [#permalink] New post 13 May 2014, 22:49
Hi Paul!
Thank you for the honest feedback! You gave me a clearer picture of what needs to be done and how.
I'll retake the Gmat and then get back to you!
Thanks once again Paul. I really appreciate it!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile Evaluation: Gmat 660 Q 45 V 36 [#permalink] New post 14 May 2014, 13:07
Expert's post
Glad to be of help Anuj!

anujpadia wrote:
Hi Paul!
Thank you for the honest feedback! You gave me a clearer picture of what needs to be done and how.
I'll retake the Gmat and then get back to you!
Thanks once again Paul. I really appreciate it!

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton