Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 07:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - GMAT 660 (Q49 V31 AWA 6 IR 6/8)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - GMAT 660 (Q49 V31 AWA 6 IR 6/8) [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2013, 20:51
Hi All,

Can you please evaluate my profile and suggest if I have a chance at any of the below schools? Please give an honest reply (specially since my GMAT verbal is on lower side).

Indian, Male, 29
Gmat: 660 (Q49, V31) AWA 6.0 IR 6/8
Undergrad - BE (Hons) BITS Pilani (Top 3 engineering school in India) 8.23/10 top 10% of class
Masters - MS Financial Engineering, Claremont Graduate University USA 3.6/4.0 top 5% of class
Work Ex: 6.5 Yrs (4.5 Years as Sr BA - Client Account Manager at a Financial Software firm in Boston MA - 2 promotions in 2 years [not MNC, 1000 employees])
Class XII: 96% (state ranked 4th among 1.5 million students)
Class X: 96.53% (state ranked 1st among 2 million students)

Extra Curriculars -
4 research papers published in Int'l journals, community welfare involvement at soup kitchens in Boston, Board of Advisor for a NGO eradicating child-labor, Established a competitive Cricket sports league in New England area for expat enthusiasts

Awards -
Dhirubhai Ambani scholarship, State Govt scholarship, Tuition waver with RAship during Masters, 'Best employee of the year 2007' at ex-employer, Project MVP 2012 accolade at present employer

Post MBA Plan: Consulting roles in capital market at firms such as Deloitte, EnY

Target Schools:
1) Cornell 1 Year Accelerated MBA
2) Kellogg 1 Year Accelerated MBA
3) Insead

Many Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT 660 (Q49 V31 AWA 6 IR 6/8) [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 03:15
Hi,

You have robust profile with good academics and work experience so don't panic about low GMAT. Be confident and focus on your strengths and apply in early rounds. The target list looks fine but still you can add 2-3 more programs to the list to increase your chances. With good application essays/recos and strong case you have fair chances at your target.

Regards,
Neha Singh
Try your chances for top b-schools visit http://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT 660 (Q49 V31 AWA 6 IR 6/8) [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 03:16
You have a low GMAT score and an average GPA in your undergraduate. Your academic performance in your masters is really good. It shows that you will be able to cope up with the academic rigor of a one year MBA program. Your academic performance at Class Xth and Xiith level is quite impressive.

Your work experience is on the higher side.
The b-schools would be impressed with your accelerated growth rate in the company. Tell us more about quality of your experience. Did you have leadership roles?

Your extracurricular activities sound quite good especially establishing a cricket sports league. This one is your star selling point. Do write in detail about this and awards won by you in the application essays.

Cornell seem to be within your reach, but INSEAD and Kellogg would be stretch schools for you. They would be achievable for you, if you could write excellent application essays. You should visit these schools, interact with the current and past students to know the strengths of these schools, and why would you be interested in these programs compared to others. Good Luck!

http://www.InterviewBay.com
Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT 660 (Q49 V31 AWA 6 IR 6/8) [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 09:25
Thanks guys. I am re-writing GMAT later this month and hoping to increase score by a few points.

Yes, I did have leadership roles in my company. Last year, I was chosen to setup new office of our firm in Mid-west region - I was responsible for hiring, training & managing key assignments at new location. Today, the staff is handling 10+ clients. Besides, I recently led the team of associates on a key trading system implementation project for my firm's largest hedge-fund client till date. It was a marquee client which exemplified my firm's strategic direction in general. I was rewarded with a 6% pay hike and project MVP. I hope to focus on these 2 leadership roles in my essays.
Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT 660 (Q49 V31 AWA 6 IR 6/8) [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 09:44
I scored a 720 (Q50 V39) yesterday. This revised score should hopefully remove earlier black spot in my application, thanks.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 7

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT 660 (Q49 V31 AWA 6 IR 6/8) [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 04:02
shreyas413 wrote:
I scored a 720 (Q50 V39) yesterday. This revised score should hopefully remove earlier black spot in my application, thanks.

Shreyas,

Congratulations on your GMAT score - that must have brought some relief to you.

Your growth in the company is pretty impressive, and with that I wonder whether you need an MBA at all? My guess is you are seeking an acceleration in your career. Other than writing clear career goals you will have to identify the need for an MBA, more than anything elese.

All the best,

Namita Garg,
www.mbadecoder.com
contact@mbadecoder.com

Namita Garg
http://www.mbadecoder.com
contact@mbadecoder.com

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT 660 (Q49 V31 AWA 6 IR 6/8)   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2013, 04:02