Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 11:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - GMAT 670, WE:5+

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 7

Profile Evaluation - GMAT 670, WE:5+ [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 01:05
This post received
KUDOS
Hello!

Earnest request to evaluate my profile for Full Time MBA programs. Thanks!

GMAT Score: GMAT1: 640 q48 v30 AWA5.0
GMAT2: 640 q46 v33 AWA6.0
My first 2 experiences with the GMAT weren't great. While I did not manage my time well in the verbal section of my first attempt, I missed a few quant questions in my second attempt. The difference in the sectional score is quite evident.
GMAT3: 670 q49 v32 AWA & IR: Awaited.
While I did well in Quant in my third attempt, my verbal score remains poor. However, I feel I can get a much better verbal score.

GPA: Engineering, Pune University, India. My percentages for the 4 undergrad years were between 58-64%. The top student on the other hand would have scored around 75%. So, I feel, while my GPA isn’t really that great, it isn’t that bad either. I'm not quite sure how would the schools evaluate my GPA.

Experience: 5 years currently. 6 years by the time I join.
This, according to me, is my strongest section. Although, I have been in the IT industry for 5 years, I have been working on Functional Solutioning for Core Banking transformation projects for most of the time.
Sep 2007 - Dec 2008 - Software Engineer
Dec 2008 - Dec 2009 - Software Engineer (Offshore project - for a Top 20 US Bank) – Solutioned/Designed Customer Relation Management (CRM) track
Dec 2009 - Apr 2011 - Analyst (Onsite - USA for the same Top 20 US Bank on which I was working at offshore) - Lead/Solutioned multiple tracks (Payments, Operations and Integration) for a Core Banking transformation project - I have good achievements that I can talk about in my application.
Apr 2011 - Current - Analyst (Offshore) - Leading (Payments, Integration) track for a Core Banking transformation project of European Bank

Recommendations: I can get decent recommendations from:
1) One of the VPs of the Top 20 US bank that I mentioned in my work experience.
2) My head account/delivery manager under whom I've been working for the past 4 years.

Extracurricular: Again, not one of my strongest sections. Besides representing my school and college in Cricket and being editor/contributor of magazines at school/college and at work, there isn’t really much to show.
Goals: Short Term/Long Term - Consulting IT/Consult on Core Banking related projects. My current experience would help me a lot here.

Do I have a decent shot at the following universities?
Dream:
Tepper
Ross

Desired:
McCombs
Kelley
Marshall
Kenan-Flagler

Willing to Go:
Purdue
Smeal
Mays

Writing the GMAT for the fourth time: I believe I can do much better at verbal but again the GMAT is tricky and a lot depends on how you do at that particular moment. My Quant scores during my mocks were a constant 49 and an occasional 50 while the verbal scores were 35+. So, 700+ is realistic but going over 720 would be difficult. There is also a possibility of me not breaking the 700 barrier. In such a case, how would the universities perceive my 4 attempts at GMAT?
Also, I cannot wait for another year. I have to join the Fall '13 course.

So, what’s against me: Low GMAT, Average GPA, Indian IT male, not much extracurricular activities.
For me: Recommendations, Work Experience in line with my post MBA goal.

Would appreciate an evaluation of my profile. Thanks much.

Regards,
IR
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 125 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT 670, WE:5+ [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 05:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
You actually do a great job evaluating your own profile LOL! Perhaps you should become an admissions consultant. Seriously, I think your expectations are reasonable and there should be no reason you can't get in if you apply across the spectrum of your target schools. Your strategy to diversify across a broad range of rankings is wise. As for the GMAT0--great job on the improvements, and don't worry about the number of times you had to take. Schools will only consider your highest score.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT 670, WE:5+ [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 09:46
Thanks a lot Bryant :-D. I take that as a compliment. Really appreciate your response. Thanks a lot.

Just one follow up question on your response - I'm a little confused here.
Are you suggesting that I take the GMAT for the fourth time or do I have a good chance with my current score at the universities (Desired ones preferably :) ) that I mentioned?

Thanks again.
Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT 670, WE:5+ [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 22:57
Bryant,
Could you please suggest me other schools where my profile is competitive? Would my profile be competitive at the “Desired” schools if I get a 700+ on the 4th GMAT attempt?

Thanks again.

Regards,
IR
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 125 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT 670, WE:5+ [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 07:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I think the list you have is a good one. Also look at Leavey school at Santa Clara. As for GMAT, it depends on how confident you are at improving. You said you thought you could do better, so my feeling is, if you can do better, you should. It always helps to have as high a GMAT as you can get. Exception would be for Part time programs, where it's not quite as important.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT 670, WE:5+ [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 22:08
Thanks, Bryant. Appreciate your response.

There is another question at the back of my mind. I've asked the same to other consultants as well. If possible, I'd love to get your view as well.
If schools reject an applicant, do they give the reason for reject. I'll be applying to Kelley in the first round. If they reject solely based on my low GMAT score, can I improve my GMAT and apply in the second/third round? Do schools consider such applications after rejecting applicant in the first round?
Again, thanks a lot for your valuable inputs.

Regards,
IR