Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 05:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation: GMAT 680 with more than 4Yrs Exp

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation: GMAT 680 with more than 4Yrs Exp [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 11:29
Hi,

I solicit your help in finding the best colleges as per my profile and based on chances of admission into those colleges. I would be thankful to you if you can provide any insight on this prospect.

Nationality : Indian
Age 27 Years

Test score: GMAT (Taken on Sep 2, 2013) :680, Q-49,V-34, AWA 5
GRE (Taken in Nov 2010): [OLD Scale] Q-790 , V -530 ; [New scale]: Q-164 , V -155

Education:
B.E (Engg) in Electronics and Telecommunication - 70% from JNV UNIVERSITY
High School (12th): 82%
10th: 88% (Stood First in my school and was in top 25 in the state)
ISTQB - certified Tester (Foundation Level)
NCFM certified in Finance module
NCFM certified in MacroEconomic module
* NCFM modules are conducted by National stock Exchange, India.
Infosys Internal Certification on Retail, CPG and logistics domain
Foundation of Business Strategy course @ coursera.org : Currently Enrolled.

Work Experience: 60 Months (as of 07/30/2014) , by the time of enrollment
50 Months (as of 09/30/2013)

Current Organization : D.E. Shaw & Co. [Since Mar 2012- Till date ]
Firms’ Industry : Hedge Fund
Department : IT Enterprise

Roles and Responsibilities:
-- Co-ordinate with New York based front office team for requirement collection and reporting.
-- Requirement analysis for new enhancement and preparing requirement traceability matrix.
-- Perform data analysis over trading trends to create management reports.
-- Perform post production defects analysis to create reports for higher management.
-- Quality assessment of core trade accounting and Investor relation applications.
-- Identifying business processes that are ideal candidate for automation.
-- Responsible for signing off and user acceptance testing for Investor relation application.
-- Responsible for maintenance of Selenium and Jmeter based automation framework.
-- Part of recruitment pre-assessment team that assesses applicant’s resume.
-- Arrange KT sessions and mentor new joinees about project needs.
-- Have worked for complete application re-write up project in which I was responsible for test planning and impact analysis of the new application in the enterprise application map. This project forfeits requirement of renewing license for third party application and in turn saves $70,000 per license for the firm.

Previous Organization: Infosys Ltd [Aug 2009 - Mar 2012]
Firm’s Industry : IT services
Department: SAP test Automation unit

Roles & Responsibilities:
-- Worked as SAP Test Automation Engineer for three Projects dealing with retail Industry.
-- Worked on SAP test automation project for an European client. Our team automated 923 SAP business flows for regression testing. The automation of the business processes enable to complete testing of the project in a week, activity which used to take 4 weeks of manual testing efforts.
-- Offshore coordinator and point of contact for SAP- STP process area of a project for 8 months.
-- Guided new joinees to ramp them up for the project requirements.
-- Developed macro-enabled Excel reporting system, which is used by project manager to communicate current project progress to the clients.
-- Worked with pre-sales for preparing estimation while bidding for the maintenance activity of the project that we developed.

International Experience:
-- Does not have experience of working on foreign soil but have worked closely with clients from Europe, Southeast asia, mexico and US.
-- For the current project assignments, I communicate and coordinate almost on daily basis with team operating from new york.

Awards, Achievements & Extracurriculars:
-- Was president of student assembly for my senior secondary school during 2001-02.
-- A member of various organizing committee during my school as well as college time such as Techfest ‘ENCARTA’ organizing committee for year 2007-08, farewell organizing committee, Nouveau , the cultural fest, organizing team etc.
-- Awarded as STAR Infoscion for excellence during Infosys foundation training program. I won Shipwreck competition during my training at Infosys leadership Institute.
-- Scored 4.99 GPA out of 5 in Infosys training program.
-- Awarded as Most Valuable player during Q4 of 2010-11 fiscal year.

Other Works:
-- Worked as freelancer for ‘Dreamsncolors’ organization, which sells sells miniature paintings and crafts in state of Rajasthan. Created business development strategy for the organization.

Areas of specialization during MBA course:
Strategic consulting/management

There are few schools that I am currently targeting considering the coursework that those universities are offering in field of data/business analysis and strategic management. Followings are those schools.
1) HEC Paris
2) USC, Marshall school of business
3) Tepper School of business
4) McCombs School of Business
5) Sauder School of Business
6) Kellogg School of business
7) Darden School of business
8) Boston University

Please suggest if these colleges can be a suitable as per my profile and GMAT score.
Please classify options as safe, medium and Ambitious.
I am open for good management school outside US as well. Please suggest few of the good colleges outside US also.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: -2 [0], given: 8

Re: Profile Evaluation: GMAT 680 with more than 4Yrs Exp [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 11:52
Hi Aspire009,

Frankly speaking, getting into your desired schools will be a little tough based on your GMAT score.
However, its the entire application that matters, if you somehow potray everything you have in a positive manner, there is a fair enough chance that you will be considered.

So, take your application very seriously.
Good luck :)

Please press KUDOS if my post helped !!
Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation: GMAT 680 with more than 4Yrs Exp [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 12:07
gmatSheeba, Can you please suggest which schools can be safe or medium options based on my credentials
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: -2 [0], given: 8

Re: Profile Evaluation: GMAT 680 with more than 4Yrs Exp [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 12:13
Aspire009 wrote:
gmatSheeba, Can you please suggest which schools can be safe or medium options based on my credentials

Safe/Medium schools will be :
1. Great Lakes
2. S.p.Jain
3. CUHK
4. IE Spain
5. Hong Kong Univ

Please press KUDOS if my post helped !!
Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation: GMAT 680 with more than 4Yrs Exp [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 12:21
@gmatsheeba : Is there any safe option is US, canada or singapore ?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation: GMAT 680 with more than 4Yrs Exp [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 10:35
Expert's post
Hi Aspire,

Thanks for posting. And a quick side note, please note that 'gmatsheeba' or whomever has been posting is in no way affiliated with mbaMission, lol! ;)

I would not say you are 'ruled out' from most of those schools solely based upon your 680 GMAT; some of the schools on your list have an AVERAGE GMAT score of 680-690, so certainly you are right there on target, and many are accepted with lower scores than 680 if that is at or near their average! It sounds like you have extensive technical experience, which is solid. However, a couple of potential concerns and caveats....

1) You are part of large applicant pool-- Indian IT and engineering/technical applicants, who often have high GMAT scores by the way. This applicant group tends to be great with the quant and analytical and technical portions of the application and of b-school, but the concern is whether they have strong leadership, management, communication, and team work skills... more of the people skills you could say.

You will have to work hard to stand out from this pool of applicants, from others with similar backgrounds! How? Dig deep and brainstorm on what makes YOU unique... b-school admissions decisions are made holistically... it's not just based on grades or facts or stats, but on a holistic picture of the applicant and what they'll contribute to the program, who they are as a person. That is primarily evidenced through your ESSAYS, fyi!! (And interview if you get to that point.) Elements you need to convey in your application for a chance at a top rated program include:
-what past experiences and skills will benefit you in the classroom, and later in your career
-what key traits and experiences make you UNIQUE; basically, 'why YOU??' vs other applicants
-why you want the MBA, with clear short term and long term post-MBA goals
-why NOW
-why that specific school is right for you

If you lack any of the above components, you risk that another well or similarly-qualified applicant who includes all of those, will wind up getting accepted over you!

2) As just mentioned, the average GMAT score among Indian IT and technical applicants IS a generally higher than your 680, so that could be a reason to try once more with the GMAT, and schools do take your highest score.

3) On your list, Kellogg would definitely be your biggest reach. After that, would come Darden, Tepper, Marshall most likely. What you can do is look at the average GMAT scores for the schools you are interested in (all available on their websites and/or through rankings). As far as international schools, there are certainly many to consider as well. You might review the Financial Times Global MBA ranking for a general idea world-wide.

Wishing you the best on your upcoming steps and research. Keep us posted with q's or updates. Thanks!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation: GMAT 680 with more than 4Yrs Exp [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 12:06
Can you Please name few of the safe options for me ( US or canada )
Expert Post

Re: Profile Evaluation: GMAT 680 with more than 4Yrs Exp [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 08:52
Expert's post
Perhaps you could look into Kelley, Foster, Fisher, Mays, Carroll... to be truly 'safe'... though again you would have a chance, with strong essays/interview, at higher-ranked as well if you want to apply to a few 'reach' programs. Good luck!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation: GMAT 680 with more than 4Yrs Exp [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 11:00
Thanks a lot for ur inputs , can u tell few colleges into canada
Expert Post

Re: Profile Evaluation: GMAT 680 with more than 4Yrs Exp [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 11:46
Expert's post
Here's a thread from here with some info on some Canadian b-schools that are potentially within range:

queen-s-mba-vs-rotman-mba-vs-schulich-mba-127310.html

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation: GMAT 680 with more than 4Yrs Exp [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 23:18
I applied to following university in first round but could not get any admit till now. Followings are the details

1) Emory - Reject (R1)
2) McDonough - Probably reject - as do not receive interview call till now ( R1)
3) Boston university - Probably reject - as do not receive interview call till now ( R1)
4) Cox - Reject
5) Merage (UCI) - Interview done - Result awaited
6) Ivey - Interview done - Result awaited
7) Sauder - application submitted
8) Foster - Application submitted ( R2) - File completed on 27th Nov. have not received till now.

As I have not received any admit till now, so I wish to apply to few of the easy options. Please let me know few colleges which can be good fit for my profile.
Please suggest options into US and Canada both.

Thanks
Khajan
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q V
GRE 1: 329 Q V
GPA: 3.51
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Re: Profile Evaluation: GMAT 680 with more than 4Yrs Exp [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2013, 00:35
Aspire009 wrote:
I applied to following university in first round but could not get any admit till now. Followings are the details

1) Emory - Reject (R1)
2) McDonough - Probably reject - as do not receive interview call till now ( R1)
3) Boston university - Probably reject - as do not receive interview call till now ( R1)
4) Cox - Reject
5) Merage (UCI) - Interview done - Result awaited
6) Ivey - Interview done - Result awaited
7) Sauder - application submitted
8) Foster - Application submitted ( R2) - File completed on 27th Nov. have not received till now.

As I have not received any admit till now, so I wish to apply to few of the easy options. Please let me know few colleges which can be good fit for my profile.
Please suggest options into US and Canada both.

Thanks
Khajan

Hi Khajan,
I saw your post in the Cox forum and hey man, just keep your chin up, you'll get into a good business school. As far as easy options, I know that Willamette University in Oregon offers big scholarship money and they'll definitely accept you based on your stats (and not in a wait for a month for their decision kind of way but in a few days after your interview kind of way). I would also suggest the University of Tampa is also an easy school for you to get into based on your qualifications. I don't know about Canadian schools because I'm American, but those are two American schools I know of that you should be a shoe-in for. Good luck buddy!
Expert Post

Re: Profile Evaluation: GMAT 680 with more than 4Yrs Exp [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2013, 11:22
Expert's post
Certainly there are a large number of options out there, especially with a 680. It is a little like throwing a dart on a large dartboard though for me to just arbitrarily pick a few schools for you without knowing more about what you are looking for in a school? I would think, let's say you look to the US News & World Report ranking, schools outside the top 25-30 or so would be more within range, IF you have put together strong ESSAYS to showcase who you are, what you'll bring to the class, and what you will do with the MBA. (You may want to consider getting help on your essays/application if you have not yet, to ensure you're maximizing your profile and chances for success). Fisher? Mendoza? Jones? Carey? But not sure which you've researched and been interested in or ruled our or not etc. Businessweek has nice school profiles to look up. Keep digging and try to find what most appeals to you, AND is within range!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission