Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - GMAT 710 - Target top 20 B-Schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation - GMAT 710 - Target top 20 B-Schools [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 07:03
Hello Everyone!

I am a 28 yrs old female from Delhi, India with the following profile:
    Applying for B-schools for fall 2012.
    GMAT (92%) - 710 (Q 50 - 92%, V 38 - 83%)
    Did my Computer Science Engineering from Kurukshetra University, - Not very proud of this school! Though I was a good student and scored a 76% - and am not sure how to convert this to GPA!
    Have been working for the past 6 years in IT industry performing different roles. Though I have worked mainly as a programmer,I have been involved in sales and marketing. I also worked as a Business analyst - a link between the users and the development team.
    Of the 6 years, i have been working in the US for the past 3 years for different projects, in different domains - from energy to utilities. Well, not that it matters, also in different cities!
    I also did marketing of an online game -wotld - worldofthelivingdead. This was not a part of any job, I did this for a friend. I applied various marketing strategies to increase the number of users of the game from a few hundreds to 2000.

Extra curricular:
Did volunteering work for the blind in Bangalore, India
Was an active member of the undergrad school's event organizing committee.

I am planning on applying to
    Booth
    Kellogg
    Texas A&M - Mays
    UT at Austin - McCombs
    Rice University

Need to figure out a few "safe/reachable" schools. Any ideas on which could be these so called "safe" schools for my profile?

I am not so sure about my GMAT score being enough given my profile. I have been reading that since hordes of IT professionals are applying to business schools, my chances are pretty low. I do believe in my abilities and personality, but sometimes one has to be realistic.

So all advice is welcome!!! Thanks in advance for your time!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 11

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT 710 - Target top 20 B-Schools [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2011, 09:43
Hi indiegal,

While Booth and Kellogg are ambitious, TAMU, Austin, and Rice are certainly reachable with your profile. Are you looking at Indian/Asian schools as well? Among US B-schools, you can also look at Kenan Flagler, USC, and Emory as relatively safe schools which are also well ranked.

Your GMAT score is decent. While it is true that a disproportionately large number of IT professionals from India apply, it is also true that a significant number get admitted too! What you need to work on is a strong strategy to differentiate yourself from the pack - this is done through writing great essays, having good recommendations, and presenting your overall profile in a way that enables you to make the cut. Being realistic also means refusing to accept anything less than what you deserve.

Your overall academics and professional profile is good - Kurukshetra university is a well known and respected university - you should not have any overbearing concerns there. Your work experience is also rich and varied, across different roles (and locations!).

Put your best foot forward. All the best!

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT 710 - Target top 20 B-Schools   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2011, 09:43