Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation. GMAT 710. Work ex 4 years.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation. GMAT 710. Work ex 4 years. [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 08:42
Need some help in my profile evaluation and the possible list of colleges in my range.
I am targeting the top 20 colleges in US, ISB,IIM-A and NUS.

Academic:

GMAT Score : 710
Toefl : 111
10th : 90%
12th : 85%
B.E. (Comp Sc.) 68%

Work:

Working in a top IT firm in India.(Infosys Ltd.)
Working for a top client - Apple Inc.

Work experience : 4 years (by 2014 intake)

Synopsis of Work ex.: (Apart from traditional work took up a host of responsibilities)

-Working in mobile app development.iPhone & iPad development.

-Part of the core group that set up the iPhone development in our D.C. starting off a new thread of business.
Had to leave out lucrative project offers
in the technologies in which i had been trained for this.

-Have been working as a project/module lead since my 2nd project itself.
This was within 7 months into production.
Have led 4 teams since then.

-Conduct Training programs for new joinees on mobility.
Part of core group to design the training program.
Have led the training program couple of times.
Mentoring new joinees.

-Engage with the design group of our company to design apps.
Provide UI design and consultation of mobile apps to various projects.

-Engage with Sales group in building proposals to win projects.
Provide estimation analysis and technical consulting to various projects to build mobile apps.

-Highly appreciated and won multiple awards.

-Build multiple POC's to be showcased for marketing and bringing new projects.
Highlight : Showcased app in the "Innovation Corner" of the 13th SAP Automative forum held in Germany

-Strong Knowledge management ethics.
Submitted multiple knowledge docs in the Company's Portal.
Submitted a reusable component used across multiple projects. This was to support the company's vision of reusability.
Resided as anchor of Team Wiki portal for 2 projects.

-Preparing client presentation during their offshore visit. Also, presented and conducted demo on many occasions to client.
This was a marketing exercise to expand the horizon of mobility.

-Passed Infosys Training Program with 5/5 CGPA.

Extra curricular:

-Active member of core commitee of Sports club. Organized many tournaments.

-Currently residing as lead of Soccer Club.

-Captain of the Soccer team of our unit.

-Awardee in junior mathematics olympiad.

-Editor in a quarterly newspaper in our account @ work.

-Preparing mailers for various events in the company.

- Awardee of Excellence in Information Technology Awards 2002 conducted by Association of Orissa I.C.S.E. Schools

-Volunteered in SPARK program by Infosys and represented the company in increasing the awareness of Software in Society
and raising aspirations.

Following are couple of interest areas I would like to pursue and have as options:
-General business management/Strategy/consulting.
-Technology management / Consulting.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [1] , given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation. GMAT 710. Work ex 4 years. [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 23:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hello there good sir!

So let's have a look at your profile's pros and cons:

PROs: Very good GMAT, Work for a good firm, TOEFL, Leadership in training

CONS: So-so grades from a non IIT school, Toughest applicant pool (Indian, Male, Tech), Only project leadership (as opposed to management)

I think that looking through your profile, you have some great projects, and some very strong stuff on the side too, but still your main "challenge" will be to STAND OUT. You are really coming from such a tough applicant pool, and you need to think even now: HOW will I make myself be DIFFERENT. There are gonna be a lot of applicants with similar backgrounds, and some will come from the IITs and some will have better GPAS, so how will you get the AdCom to choose YOU??? By being unique of course! (not JUST unique, we don't want clowns or zombie sharks... but unique in business :) ) But I do think you have plenty of stuff to choose from, and you just have to see what is strongest for you.

Top 20 colleges only in the US is probably a bit too ambitious for your profile, and I'd suggest you reconsider a bit. I mean you can apply to some top 20 schools with some chances of course, but the top 10 schools will be real stretches, and the 10-20 ranked will also be tough. So I'd suggest you take a look also at some schools ranked 20-40 to see what might fit (I'd suggest offhand, McCombs, Georgia Tech, Anderson (as your Top 10 choice).. and maybe a few more.

From your choice of goals, I like "Tech Consultant" I can see how that will easily make sense without any stretch of the imagination. And it's a nice step forward.

I hope this helps!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation. GMAT 710. Work ex 4 years. [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 07:38
@JonAdmissionado.

Hello,

Thanks a lot for such a comprehensive review of my profile. WoW. Definitely it helps when you put out the pro's and con's in such a manner.
I would probably try for some 10-20 colleges this year as a stretch.

Just one question.
Currently I have 37 months of exp. If i join in 2014 I will have 48 months.
So, If I wait and add 24 more months to 48 months and some international exposure such as in the US or Europe, will that make my case any better?
What other aspects do I work on to target top 20 or 10?

Thanks again for such a detailed analysis. Much appreciated.

Regards,
Jim
Expert Post
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation. GMAT 710. Work ex 4 years. [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 00:58
Expert's post
jim25 wrote:
@JonAdmissionado.

Hello,

Thanks a lot for such a comprehensive review of my profile. WoW. Definitely it helps when you put out the pro's and con's in such a manner.
I would probably try for some 10-20 colleges this year as a stretch.

Just one question.
Currently I have 37 months of exp. If i join in 2014 I will have 48 months.
So, If I wait and add 24 more months to 48 months and some international exposure such as in the US or Europe, will that make my case any better?
What other aspects do I work on to target top 20 or 10?

Thanks again for such a detailed analysis. Much appreciated.

Regards,
Jim

Okay that totally makes sense! I mean I've had plenty of clients before decide "okay I know it's a stretch, but I wanna go for top or bust anyhow". And that's fine, as long as you are prepared for the eventuality that you may not get an accept and will have to try again next year. (But hopefully not!). And if you are prepared for that eventuality and in no rush, then fantastic!

I don't think at this point it is "Waiting" that will necessarily help you, unless you get some crazy promotion or sick job offer. The best things that can help you at this point are: stronger leadership, progress in your job, fantastic achievements, better volunteer work.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation. GMAT 710. Work ex 4 years. [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2013, 20:22
Thanks a lot for your reply.
What I meant to say is if I am making an investment then why not make it in some Top 20 college.
I can wait since a lot of traction is going on in career. Promotion. International Opportunity. Possible internal switch to Consulting group. Apart from this I would definitely work towards other finer aspects. I am ready to go that extra mile. I was just wondering whether my "extra" stuff is in the right direction and what direction I would need to go. I got your answer regarding the direction. That helps. :)
Expert Post
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation. GMAT 710. Work ex 4 years. [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 00:18
Expert's post
That's what I'm here for :)

Good luck to you!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com