Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 00:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation (GMAT 720; GPA 3.65; 24 y/o)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q V
GPA: 3.6
WE: General Management (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation (GMAT 720; GPA 3.65; 24 y/o) [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 09:18
Bryant,

I would love to get your advice on my profile.

Academics:
-Graduated from a top 15 undersgraduate university with a bachelors and masters in Engineering (Undergrad GPA 3.6, Grad GPA 3.65)
-Studied abroad in a top Indian Engineering school
-Spent a summer researching in Asia

Work Experience:
-Interned at a company in China, helping them fundraise $15M USD
-Interned at a Oil & Gas company providing support to their sales organization
-Currently at a consulting firm, and will have 2 years of experience and 1 promotion when I apply. As 2 years in an analyst role, I have managed one peer, directly advised the CPO, was the sole consultant on the ground advising the client, worked with an international team to plan for a large global project, analyzed data and developed materials to explain the financial impact of a merger for the company press release.

Extra (mainly focused on teaching and mentoring):
- Taught underprivelaged Chinese hs students english
- President of a cultural association in undergraduate
- Set up women mentoring program for both my current company and in college
- Taught a class at an underprivelaged high school on how to get into college

Goals
- Short term: Return to my current consulting firm and make manager to obtain varied managing experience
- Long term: Work as management in my family technology business in Asia, leveraging my management / business experience obtained through MBA / at work and my undergraduate engineering background

Others
- Grew up in Asia (finished HS)

Schools:
- Harvard, MIT, Kellogg, Yale, NYU

Questions:
- Are my target schools realistic?
- What part of my background should I highlight? What are some weaknesses that I will need to be sure to address?
- As I am on the younger side of applying, should I apply in R2 instead of R1 so I can get more experience in the extra 4 months?
- I am lacking extra cirricular experience in the last year (all my extracirricular experience was prior during first year of work or before), will this be a problem?

Greatly appreciate your help in advance!
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile Evaluation (GMAT 720; GPA 3.65; 24 y/o) [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 18:54
Expert's post
Overall i really like your profile and see you as a very competitive applicant in the female pool, which is less populated than the Male pool especially when considering Asia.

As for your questions:

Are my target schools realistic?

Yes I don't see any reason why you should not have a shot at these schools. Yes, they are among the best in the world, but your qualifications justify the lofty aspirations. You might consider a school or two to throw in for safety, but maybe go for your chosen schools in round one and save safety considerations for round two or three.
- What part of my background should I highlight?
The trick with any good b-school application is to provide all the evidence you can to set yourself apart as a qualified and desirable candidate. You should try to integrate things that demonstrate leadership, maturity (since you are young), teamwork and creativity/innovation. I can see where many things in your background will speak to these traits, so just remember to tell stories and don't just describe what you did. Also speak to the WHY in your application. I see so many applications each year doing a good job with the "what" but a poor job with the "Why." B-schools want to know you inside and out. Make the application personal and not just a list of your professional achievements. I recognize this may go outside of your cultural upbringing in some ways, but know that the US schools really like to see the whole person in the application.

What are some weaknesses that I will need to be sure to address?
nothing is jumping out as a glaring weakness. You seem like a fully engaged person in your work and your community and someone who gets involved with passion and not just out of obligation. The b-schools will like this. Make sure you convey your passion in your application. In the end, it's pretty rare to have a female engineering grad in the pool period, so I think your core attributes will be attractive to your targets if your story is compellingly written.

- As I am on the younger side of applying, should I apply in R2 instead of R1 so I can get more experience in the extra 4 months? No I think R1 is the best option--your target schools are not biased against younger applicants. In fact, Yale and HBS actually have more of a bias towards younger applicants. The extra couple of months of experience would be marginal anyway unless there were some kind of milestone you'd hit in that window or something.
- I am lacking extra cirricular experience in the last year (all my extracirricular experience was prior during first year of work or before), will this be a problem?
Ah--didn't realize that. It's always best to be consistently involved, so you might consider simply going back and doing sonme of those things you have done before so you can show continuity there. You are correct that schools are not going to want you to have dropped out of your community engagement.

Let us know if we can help.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews