Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - GMAT -720, Work Ex - Consultant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Profile Evaluation - GMAT -720, Work Ex - Consultant [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 03:12
Thanks in advance for reading this!

Background: 24 year old male from India.

GMAT: 720 (Q51,V36). Gave it recently so still waiting for the AWA+IR scores.

College: Bachelor of Engineering(Electronics and Telecommunications) from University of Pune, India. Graduated in 2010 with an aggregate of 66.8%(Distinction in my university). This may seem low but considering our university gives a distinction at 66% (as compared to 75% in other Indian universities) it is a decent score.

Work Experience: 26 months as on today. Working as a Consultant in one of the Big 4 professional services firms. My work is mostly related to Identity and Access management. We assess and implement Identity Management solutions. In my two years, I have worked on Fortune 500 clients from the US. My projects have been a mix of both technical and strategy work. My current project is a project on the strategy side and I am currently leading a team of 2 people(both Consultants themselves) on my project.

Extracurricular
1. I have a real passion for football. I have pursued the same throughout school, college and now in my current firm. Represent the firm in tournaments and am the captain of the branch I'm in. (Around 7000 people in my firm)
2. I have participated in quite a few extra curricular events in college related to Debates, Improv and Quiz.
3. In charge of managing the inter - college sports fest for 2 years.
4. Have been involved in a community initiative for 6 months regarding computer literacy of underprivileged children.

Target Schools: ISB(Hyderabad, India), Booth, Tuck, Kellogg, National University of Singapore

Post MBA Goal: After an MBA I want to get into strategy consulting. Hopefully something to do with the sports industry.

Now to the questions I have:
1. I've heard that their is a typical Indian Male IT professional stereotype which inhibits my chances at all top colleges. I want to know with my work ex and slightly average score am I being realistic in my schools. Also, please suggest any other schools that I can aim for.

2. Is it true that maximum scholarships are awarded in the first round of applications. Also I have heard that their is a higher chance of rejections in the later rounds.

3. Lastly, and this has been eating away at me for the past few days- Should I retake the GMAT? I feel I can do better in English but realistically I think I could at max get a 740-750. Is it worth it?

Your help would truly truly be appreciated!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT -720, Work Ex - Consultant [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 19:03
Expert's post
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your profile. You are current about the Indian IT Male overrepresentation - because so many candidates with this profile apply, the bar is very high to differentiate yourself. I'd say you have a slight edge on these candidates, but let's break it down:

Academics: Many applicants in your candidate pool do apply with 750-ish scores, so while your score is competitive against the broader applicant pool, it may be considered slightly low within your applicant pool. Your undergrad scores, when considered absolutely against other applicants who are in the 70-75% range, may appear low, too. But I believe you should address this in an optional statement or make it very clear when reporting your scores that your school averages were very different (make it clear that you were at the top of your class).

Professional experience: It's great that you're working for a big 4 consulting company. Sounds like you have more of a consulting/client-facing role than a purely technical role, so that is really good. Between your professional leadership and your involvement/leadership in other firm activities (football, etc.), I think you'll stand out compared to others in your applicant pool on this dimension.

Extracurricular/community: You were very involved in college, demonstrate a clear passion for football and you've had some good community experience (albeit somewhat short/recent).

Your school choices are okay, but I'd say though that Kellogg and Tuck may be reach programs. Tuck has a very small class size, therefore a very low acceptance rate. I'd suggest swapping these programs out for some more realistic targets like Duke, Darden, Michigan, UCLA.

I'm not sure whether scholarships are mostly awarded in R1 - I think scholarships are awarded to the strongest candidates, not to the fastest. R1 and R2 acceptance rates do not vary too much (better to submit a stronger application in R2 than a mediocre one in R1), but submitting in R3 is very risky and unadvised.

As for whether to retake the GMAT - it would probably help you if you could reach that 740/750 score given the level of competition in your applicant pool. If you have the time and you really want to try for a top program and you really believe you could boost your score 30ish points, I'd say you ought to. Then again, if you've got a high risk tolerance, you can apply with your current score and see what happens! A lot depends on you :)

Good luck,
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter