Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 02:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation? GMAT 730 GPA 3.8

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Profile evaluation? GMAT 730 GPA 3.8 [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 20:16
Hi I would really appreciate your feedback.

Stats
GMAT 730 (Q49/V40); 96% (83%/90%)
UCLA Molecular Cell Developmental Biology B.S. with GPA 3.8, magna cum laude

Work Experience
3 years experience in R&D and Product Development for 2 emerging Biotech start up companies. At second, current company, I was promoted within 3 months of hire.
I am nearing the upper limit of career progression a B.S. can afford me doing Product Development and research-related work. I have decided not to pursue a PhD, but an MBA instead.
Although I manage large, complex projects for the company, requiring management of associates, their work, and end product, I do not have direct reports.
Working at start ups allows me to work in and be exposed to myriad of functions within company. I have become more interested in Business Development. I would like to leverage my strong technical background and help develop NEW opportunities with existing technology, as opposed to developing novel technology in R&D/PD. A big draw for me is BD is strategic, and also sits at intersection of business and science.
I believe an MBA will help arm me with the business savvy and skills such as asset valuations, due diligence, etc. as well as enable me to break into a new career/function for a large biotech/pharma company.

Extra Curricular
Volunteer at center for underserved youth. Academic/sport/tutoring mentor and coach.

Member of organization which aims to bring together biomedical professionals. Organized meet ups, fundraiser, and technology/medical focused events.

Why MBA?
short term: Business Development at biotech/pharma company
long term: entrepreneur in biotech diagnostic and personalized medicine space

Target Schools
UCLA, Berkeley-Haas, USC
Reach: Stanford, MIT-Sloan

Any advise or feedback would be helpful.
My reservations are that I do not have enough quantity or quality of WE. Should I wait another year? Or is it critical I switch jobs? I would like to get into Bus Dev, but feel I may need the degree to get in first. But also, having experience in Bus Dev before applying to school would help show adcoms my intent and also make me more well-rounded.
Is it a weakness to be an applicant with mostly technical/scientific background and experience?

What are my chances at the schools I have listed and are they realistic as reach, medium, safe schools?

Thanks in advance
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation? GMAT 730 GPA 3.8 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 18:34
Expert's post
Hi and thanks for sharing your profile.

Overall you have a strong profile for the 3 main programs you listed being interested in, and a chance at Stanford and MIT, with Stanford being the most difficult because not only is it one of the most popular programs to apply to with the top candidates applying, it also has a smaller than average class size compared with many of the top programs.

Your GMAT is excellent, your grades strong, and actually having the scientific background helps you stand out as the pool of applicants with experiences like yours is smaller than many. Your experiences combined with the strong scores/stats, including your volunteering, will lend well for both stories and anecdotes to include in your application, and to bring to the classes at business school. 3 years of work experience should be sufficient, and by the time you begin the program you'd have 4. It sounds like you have enough breadth of experiences to draw from in terms of contributing to the class.

At this point I believe that your chances will be strong and the decision will be based on your overall application-- which is primarily your essays at this point since the other areas are covered. So it's important for you to spend a lot of time and effort on those essays in the coming months. You will want to confidently demonstrate what you can bring to the program and what the program will bring to you and to your future career goals. You need to be sure your story makes sense, that your past leads to the MBA which leads to your future goals, and that you also explain why each particular program is right for you, as that can make the difference in some cases.

Feel free to check in with any other questions, and wishing you the best on this process.

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php