Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 07:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation-GMAT n yet,Architecture/Entrepreneurship

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT Date: 07-09-2014
GPA: 3
WE: General Management (Advertising and PR)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation-GMAT n yet,Architecture/Entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2014, 17:36
Jon, thanks in advance for any feedback on my profile. I consider my story to be particular though I would like to understand any potential weaknesses in my profile, especially for applications at top US schools.

Male, Romanian (with possibility of acquiring FR citizenship), currently 23. Lived in Paris since 2012, in France since 2011.

GMAT / TOEFL
GMAT - Not yet done, expecting 650-700
TOEFL - Not yet done, expecting 100-110

Education
1) Bachelor in Architecture and Urbanism - BA Thesis: “Urban and Regional Infrastructure in Emergent Countries”
CGPA 12,67 / 20 (a couple of grades still to add)

USH Arh - Bucharest, Romania 2009-2011,
ENSAS - Strasbourg, France 2011-2012,
ENSAPLV - Paris, France 2012-2014 (I moved around for the BA, don't know if it's an asset)

Educational trips to Spain, Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany.

2) Business Summer School 2011 – Financial Crisis in Emergent Markets (2011)

3) Considering a 1yr master in Management / International Business 2014-2015 in France (Paris 1,5,9) or Rotterdam (erasmus university) as a warming for the MBA (will that actually help for admission?)

Extra-curricular Activities

Organizational skills and competences
03/2014 - 03/2015 Fellow of the Erasmus for Young Entrepreneurs by European Union
02/2012 - 01/2014 Co-founder and Visionary for HandsControl (Tech Start-up)
02/2013 - 12/2013 General Secretary of Romanian Investment Circle
09/2011 - 11/2011 BetaTester for EdgeRyders Project at the European Council
04/2012 – elected Honorific President of the Architecture Students Association Spiru Haret
10/2011 – 07/2012 Elected and activity - Study Year Delegate at National Superior School of Architecture of Strasbourg
09/2010 – 08/2011 Founding President of the Architecture Students Association Spiru Haret
05/2011 – Project Manager at National Contest of Architecture Students Exhibition at Spiru Haret
03/2011 – elected Main Organizer of the National Contest of Architecture Students at Spiru Haret
01/2011 – elected President of the Architecture Students Association Spiru Haret

Social skills and competences
08/2011 – 08/2012 Journalist/Editor for Q-Group: Zeppelin Magazine
04/2012 - Speaker about Entrepreneurship and Business Startups conference at Romanian Consulate in Strasbourg
2011-2012 Study Year Delegate/Responsible at National Superior School of Architecture of Strasbourg
08/2011 – 08/2012 Development Manager in France for Diplomatic Students Club of Romania
08/2011 - 08/2012 Strasbourg Responsible of League of Romanian Students Abroad
08/2011 - 05/2012 Board member of Romanian Students Association in Strasbourg
08/2011 – 08/2012 Representative of Diplomatic Student`s Club of Romania

Foreign Languages
English (fluent in writing and speaking, Certificate in Advanced English - Cambridge)
French (fluent in writing and speaking)
German (beginner in writing and speaking)
Spanish (beginner in writing and speaking)
Romanian (mother language)

Sport skills and competences - Rowing (now licensed sportsman at a #3 Rowing Club in France) , motorcycling, snowboarding.

Work Experience
4 yr at the enrolling date, 09/2015

1) 09/2011- present - Founder and Managing Director at Inspiring Visuals Group (Advertising Agency) (http://inspiring-visuals.com/)
Leading development and operations activity: business development, client acquisition, account management, project management with multidisciplinary/multiculturally creative teams. Worked with major brands such as UNESCO, CEPROC, JCI Connect. Developed 4 main divisions in 2.5 yrs, one of them - ArchiCore which offers advertising services in the real estate industries, is developing on 2 continents.

2) Co-founder and CSO / CMO - Chief Strategy and Marketing Officer at Deliworld (Online platform for Bio / Niche Exclusive Products)
3) Founding Member and President of Romanian Investment Circle
4) Board member and Project Consultant for League of Romanian Students Abroad
5) Board Member and Head of Communication for Tri-National Project - Les Marmottes (Croissy sur Seine - Viseu de Sus - Altenglan)
6) Founding member and Communication Responsible for Romanian Entrepreneurs Federation in France

I can detail each of them if needed. (CV attached)

Reasons for MBA Now and Goals
I am happy and motivated by my current activities: 2 main businesses as a founder and multiple NGO/community leadership activities, some of them with civic or economical (investment) implication. MBA would provide me with a wider angle on several industries (including financial) and permit me to refresh and to learn management principles I am currently not exposed to.

Short term: Developing my activity and slight industry change. While discovering more about the financial industry I consider working in investment management / a hedge fund as a leading position. Maybe founding a financial products company in US / Europe after MBA / acquiring experience.

I also consider a PHD (in europe) in a business related field and teaching about financial implication for businesses / emergent economies development.

Long term: Develop sustainable businesses with possible implications (investments) towards emerging countries. I would be glad to contribute for Romania's (and emerging countries) economic development. Holding a public / political position at a later stage in Romania may be welcome.

So: I am looking for a TOP Business School which is the same time cost effective. (good scholarships, etc)

Target Schools for enrolling in 2015 (or better 2016?)
1R at Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Sloan
2R at Stern, Ross, Cornell, Yale, Kelogg (+Darden) - If R1 TOP 10 does not work/is not realistic.

Any advice is very welcome!
Attachments

Resumé Tudor Mafteianu EN.pdf [119.75 KiB]
Downloaded 4 times

To download please login or register as a user

Last edited by TudorMafteianu on 07 Mar 2014, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 456 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation-GMAT n yet,Architecture/Entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 00:38
Expert's post
Hello there Tudor,
Thanks for writing dude. You have a very good name. It has a nice European ring to it. Maybe it's a name to become a Romanian Minister with? :)

Aaaaanyhow, a few things about your profile. First of all it looks good. You have excellent involvement in basically everything you have done, and you have founded two companies. So that's excellent.

I don't see any major weaknesses here. Your GPA is good, but not excellent, so one thing that will be VITAL to your success is the GMAT. Kill yourself (that's metaphoric!) to get the highest score you possible can, and if you can break a 720, you will be in great shape. Anything less, then we have to think about things further.

There are a still a few open questions here. 1. You write you have 4 years of experience, however MBA programs usually only count experience AFTER you finish your studies. The timeline wasn't 100% clear, but it seems to me that you are including some study years in your work experience. 2. Your firms - Basically they sound really interesting, buuuuut the Adcoms will want to know: How much success have you had? How many people do you lead? How much progress have you made? How much money? How much potential do you have to grow? All of these will play heavily on your chances.

Finally, I really like your ambition and also your interest in politics. The schools will likely like this as well, especially if you can show them how it is possible.

I think that before I give you an evaluation about HBS and the other schools, it would be better to get your GMAT and we can work from there. The range you gave me of scores is honest. but there is a universe of difference between a 650 and 700. So, I'd say concentrate all your energies on your GMAT, and get back to me when you have that score.

If you have aaaaaaany other questions at all in the meanwhile, I'll be more than happy to answer them.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | The Team | Get a Free Consultation | 2013-2014 Essay Analyses

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation-GMAT n yet,Architecture/Entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2014, 05:40
Hello Jon,

I deeply appreciate your detailed response! Indeed:
1. My 3 years of work experience as a founder of this small ad agency come from 2011 to 2014, which coincide with my study years.
2. I will post a re-evaluation after GMAT / TOEFL where I will include metrics for my activity that Adcoms can measure.

Though, what do you think of:

3. Considering a 1yr master in Management / International Business 2014-2015 in France (Paris 1,5,9) or Rotterdam (erasmus university) as a warming for the MBA (will that actually help for admission?)
4. (I moved around for the BA, don't know if it's an asset) - should I emphasize this in my application or the contrary?
5. Taking some finance / economics / business management courses on https://courses.edx.org/ will help?
6. Target Schools for enrolling in 2015 (or better 2016?) - If I ever get to have a good GMAT, over 700, do you think is worth enrolling later, in 2016 when I accumulate more WE?

Thanks again, best,
T
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 456 [1] , given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation-GMAT n yet,Architecture/Entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2014, 09:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
TudorMafteianu wrote:
Hello Jon,

I deeply appreciate your detailed response! Indeed:
1. My 3 years of work experience as a founder of this small ad agency come from 2011 to 2014, which coincide with my study years.
2. I will post a re-evaluation after GMAT / TOEFL where I will include metrics for my activity that Adcoms can measure.

Though, what do you think of:

3. Considering a 1yr master in Management / International Business 2014-2015 in France (Paris 1,5,9) or Rotterdam (erasmus university) as a warming for the MBA (will that actually help for admission?)
4. (I moved around for the BA, don't know if it's an asset) - should I emphasize this in my application or the contrary?
5. Taking some finance / economics / business management courses on https://courses.edx.org/ will help?
6. Target Schools for enrolling in 2015 (or better 2016?) - If I ever get to have a good GMAT, over 700, do you think is worth enrolling later, in 2016 when I accumulate more WE?

Thanks again, best,
T

Okay, this one I think is not usually a good idea. For two reasons, one, I don't see this as a very economical solution. I think normally if you plan on doing an MBA you can skip the MiM. Though the MiM can be helpful for some folks who are having a tough time getting a decent first job.... but let's say that financially and time-wise, planning to do both is not an ideal option (and an MiM gives you no additional advantage when applying for an MBA).

Well, just have the place you studied at, but it's neither an advantage or disadvantage, until you did part of your studies abroad and have some international experience, which is always good.

It will help for the knowledge, but not really for your MBA candidacy.

Depends a bit. In 2015 you would have a bit more than 2 years WE right? I think that + the fact you have your firms should be enough experience to allow you to apply, without any disadvantage.

Hope this helps!!!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation-GMAT n yet,Architecture/Entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 07:19
Jon, great input again! Thanks.

6. In september 2015 I will have 1 year and something WE AFTER my BA / 4 yrs totally (including the WE during my BA)
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 456 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation-GMAT n yet,Architecture/Entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2014, 14:43
Expert's post
TudorMafteianu wrote:
Jon, great input again! Thanks.

6. In september 2015 I will have 1 year and something WE AFTER my BA / 4 yrs totally (including the WE during my BA)

I see. In that case I'd wait till I had two clean years of WE AFTER graduation, so really 2016 makes more sense to me. Otherwise, you are really taking a risk there.

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado