Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 08:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - GMAT Score and Top Schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation - GMAT Score and Top Schools [#permalink] New post 30 May 2009, 08:16
Hi all,

I took my GMAT a few days ago and got a score on 700 (90th percentile, V38 Q 48)

I am fretting over the fact that I could have obtained 20 more points but didnt. I need your inputs on how good do you think this score is and if I need to retake? The retake is going to take a few more weeks of study/practice etc and the $250 fee in exchange for maybe 20-30 points. Is it really worth it?

Let me share my profile here to put this question in perspective.

Background: I am a South Asian (not india, so i believe this might be a diversity advantage for me) working in a computer software firm here in the US. I have been here for 3+ years and my total experience at the end of this year would be 5 year, all in software development.

Undergrad: My undergrad is from a univ in my home country, CGPA of 3.7 (top 5 % of class), distinction, merit scholarships throughout, lots of great extracurriculars and great internships. (my undergrad experience rivals any top undergrad experience IMHO, not in terms of necessarily degree pedigree but in terms of my achievements there)

After Undergrad my extracurriculars have been okay. Informally involved in fundraising etc plus a position in a community org...

I am also doing a part time masters in CS from a top 10 CS graduate school (with a couple of courses from business school in entrepreneurship) along with work. Recently at work, i filed for a patent (with other inventors) and another one might be on the horizon, and leading a cross group initiative both on technical front (patents /technology) and process/management.

I am interested in the top schools....Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT, Chicago and columbia.

Post MBA i plan to be in strategy consulting with the likes of MBB.

Based on all of the above, Is my GMAT good enough for my target schools or should I be concerned and retake the GMAT?
I know a lot of this is based on my essays and recommendations, but based on above, what do you think are my chances in schools i mentioned?

I'd appreciate if Alex and others can weigh in.

Last edited by nutmba on 10 Jun 2009, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT Score and Top Schools [#permalink] New post 30 May 2009, 10:10
Your GMAT is high enough and well balanced for any of the top programs. There is no point in retaking GMAT after scoring 700. 740 won't take you anywhere you couldn't have entered with 700.

Take this advice from someone who had scored 720 and decided not to listen fellow GMATclubbers and retook GMAT after few months. Although I don't regret for such a deceison, I know it was totally pointless. However, that was my strong desire to do something like that, I know it was somehow immature, but I became some kind of exam-addict, so...

Anyway, after passing through application process and following oyhers experiences on this, I can claim that once you are in 700 club with balanced score (this is especiallly important for some schools like Wharton), GMAT is not adcom's concern anymore - they are sure you have academic or intelectual abilities to sustain the program. Beyond that point, other aspects of your application come to the light.

To conclude, if they want you - they'll admit you with 700. If they don't - they will ding you w/o interview even if you had 780.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT Score and Top Schools [#permalink] New post 31 May 2009, 07:49
Thanks Pathfinder. I am also thinking along similar lines but i just might end up taking GMAT again... for similar reasons as you quote...exam freak + that niggling feeling of maybe underachieving a little bit ... but lets see...

Alex, can you please weigh in as well?

Thanks
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT Score and Top Schools [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2009, 08:39
Use the time you'd be spending prepping for a re-take to focus on the applications themselves (the essays, the rec letters). Once your score is beyond 700, it's not really an issue. Penny wise, pound foolish. Look at the big picture. As an Asian dude, it ain't about your ability to do math and write tests (beyond a certain threshhold). Move on.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT Score and Top Schools [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2009, 17:46
Alex,

Do you think my profile is competitive for the schools mentioned?

Thanks
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT Score and Top Schools [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2009, 13:54
Harvard/Stanford/Wharton - long shots; I would probably focus on other schools

MIT/Chicago/Columbia - stretches

You may want to focus on schools such as NYU, Darden, Michigan, Berkeley, Duke, Cornell, Yale, or UCLA -- all are excellent schools that would be closer to your sweet spot, and schools where a lot of the major consulting firms recruit.

And no, re-taking your GMAT isn't going to change this.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT Score and Top Schools   [#permalink] 04 Jun 2009, 13:54