Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - GMAT620, GPA3.04

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Profile Evaluation - GMAT620, GPA3.04 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 14:01
Dear Sir/ Madame

Please kindly help evaluate my profile. I am very frustrated as I am applying for Fall 2011. My profile is as follow;

1) Work: 1.5y - business development in family business - plastic industry
2y - Event organizer/producer/ account executive
7m - Analyst, BNP Paribas
2) GMAT: 620 (Q44, V31)
3) GPA: 3.04 (with no good performance in quants such as Calculus), Chulalongkorn Univ, Thailand (business administration, major: finance). Although I actively involved in college activities such as financial case competition, social service projects, i did not acquire any leadership on those activities except for the school's dummy company.

After graduation, I will continue to work for the family biz as management. My concentration for MBA are Entrepreneurship, Operational management and (maybe) international business. Despite my weak profile, I currently apply to Marshall, Babson, and BU and plan to apply for Kelley, UIUC, Georgetown, Purdue. I realize that the application period is very critical especially for international student. Could you please kindly comment on my plan, suggest other schools that suit my concentration and might be more realistic (any safety schools if applicable) or ways to improve my application? I always want to go for the U.S schools but some suggest that with such profile, i would probably get better schools in the UK. Thank you so much!!

Best regards
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT620, GPA3.04 [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 13:37
Expert's post
BigBear wrote:
Dear Sir/ Madame

Please kindly help evaluate my profile. I am very frustrated as I am applying for Fall 2011. My profile is as follow;

1) Work: 1.5y - business development in family business - plastic industry
2y - Event organizer/producer/ account executive
7m - Analyst, BNP Paribas
2) GMAT: 620 (Q44, V31)
3) GPA: 3.04 (with no good performance in quants such as Calculus), Chulalongkorn Univ, Thailand (business administration, major: finance). Although I actively involved in college activities such as financial case competition, social service projects, i did not acquire any leadership on those activities except for the school's dummy company.

After graduation, I will continue to work for the family biz as management. My concentration for MBA are Entrepreneurship, Operational management and (maybe) international business. Despite my weak profile, I currently apply to Marshall, Babson, and BU and plan to apply for Kelley, UIUC, Georgetown, Purdue. I realize that the application period is very critical especially for international student. Could you please kindly comment on my plan, suggest other schools that suit my concentration and might be more realistic (any safety schools if applicable) or ways to improve my application? I always want to go for the U.S schools but some suggest that with such profile, i would probably get better schools in the UK. Thank you so much!!

Best regards

Your profile just doesn't make you sound ready yet. I believe from the order of your description that you are currently with BNP Paribas as an analyst. It sounds to me like you need at least a few more months (if not another year) in that role before you start an MBA program. Also, your GMAT doesn't seem acceptable yet by the schools you listed and your leadership does not sound proven yet. I would recommend working on each of these areas before applying. I know this is difficult to hear, and I am sorry to be the bearer of pessimistic news. The good news is that you will have tangible goals in each one of these areas for the next few months!

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT620, GPA3.04 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 03:45
Thank you so much for your reply! :D

I am sorry for not making it clear enough for my work experience. BNPP is my first job and now i am working for family business. I do humbly regard your suggestion, however, I really really need to go study this coming fall. I know that my profile is not good but regarding my profile and concentration of Entrepreneurship and Operation, it would be highly appreciated if you could kindly comment my current target schools as follow;

Reach: Georgetown
Regular: Babson, George Washington, Thunderbird, Pepperdine

or could you please recommend any other safety schools?

Thank you very much in advance and looking forward to hearing from you.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT620, GPA3.04 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 04:50
Expert's post
BigBear wrote:
Thank you so much for your reply! :D

I am sorry for not making it clear enough for my work experience. BNPP is my first job and now i am working for family business. I do humbly regard your suggestion, however, I really really need to go study this coming fall. I know that my profile is not good but regarding my profile and concentration of Entrepreneurship and Operation, it would be highly appreciated if you could kindly comment my current target schools as follow;

Reach: Georgetown
Regular: Babson, George Washington, Thunderbird, Pepperdine

or could you please recommend any other safety schools?

Thank you very much in advance and looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you for clarifying. Since you haven't just begun a new job a few months ago, the situation is different. Depending on the size of the family business and your level of influence in it (ie., a small local business will carry less weight), then I think that most of your targets are reasonable. I do think the GMAT may hold you back from Georgetown, George Washington and Pepperdine, so it may be worth trying to retake it in the next few weeks/months. My other piece of advice is for you to figure out what makes each of these programs special and be sure to show in your application how that uniqueness fits your needs (this will vary for each program). This is a critical factor for these programs to see that you are genuinely interested in them and not just adding them to a long list of programs that you are applying to.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog