Joined: 25 Feb 2014
, given: 0
Profile Evaluation (GMAT770,GPA3.7) - much appreciated! [#permalink]
25 Feb 2014, 22:09
1) Chinese Canadian Female
28 yrs old at matriculation
First one in family to immigrant and complete college degree. Funded own education.
2.5yr senior associate/team lead at Big4 audit
2.5yr credit analyst at leading credit rating agency (S&P, Moody’s)
My current credit analyst role gave me great exposure to Fortune 500 energy/midstream/utilities senior management and really inspired me to love the energy industry. I’m passionate about the industry but feel my scope is limited to the credit side of the business. So MBA is necessary for me to gain better perspective from a consulting point of view because I’d like to advise companies and make positive impact in their profitability and balanced public reputation (important for current pipeline/E&P companies).
2) GMAT 770 (V45,Q50,IR8,AWA5.5)
3) Top 3 Canadian university (think McGill, University of Toronto, Waterloo). Major in business. GPA 3.7. Summer exchange in Tokyo, Japan.
4) College: won 1st place in several case competitions. Earned a summer internship through an Apprentice-like competition. I was ranked the #1 candidate in the 24 participants selected from a pool of couple hundred students.
Leadership: co-founded an NPO with a mission to improve education conditions in rural China. Raised over C$30,000 since 2010. 1st sum of funds donated to Free the Children in China for building a school. 2nd sum was directly donated to building a multi-media music classroom in a rural county. I attended the closing ceremony in 2013 and was interviewed by local TV and newspapers. The funds were raised through tutoring and career conferences (providing current university students with job searching tips from young professionals in finance, accounting, consulting, etc.). The two conferences held in 2012 and 2013 were extremely well received on campus benefiting lots of students. Speakers invited were friends/acquaintances of the co-founders in prominent firms such as McKinsey, RBC and Big 4. Each conference had about 500 attendees.
5) CFA, CA
6) Target: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, Booth
7) R1 2014-15 (class of 2017)
8) post-MBA goal: energy consulting (especially interested/had experience in pipelines, midstream, and renewables)