Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 00:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation (goal: consulting --> MBA --> PE)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation (goal: consulting --> MBA --> PE) [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 11:28
Background: Indian male/25 (non-US citizen)

Work Experience: 2.5 years at a top management consulting firm (McKinsey/BCG/Bain) in a US office. Have been staffed on an international study (South America) too. Recently got promoted to a post-MBA position. While in school, I interned at some top firms too (does this count for anything?).

College: 3.51 from a top public (UVA/Michigan/UCLA/Berkeley) in Electrical Engineering and Business (Honors). Graduated in 2010.

GMAT: 770 (Q51, V42)

Extracurriculars: Varsity college sports team, president of a few clubs, published a journal research paper, currently involved with a local sports club team, run marathons for charity, and have been heavily involved in a non-profit for the last 3-4 years. If it means anything, I have lived in 4 different countries.

Certifications: None

Target schools: HBS, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, Tuck, Sloan. Please suggest others that would fit my background, and would have exit ops for PE.

Applying in: R1 2013-14

Post-MBA goal: Ideally, move to a PE megafund (or MM). Otherwise, return to my firm.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile evaluation (goal: consulting --> MBA --> PE) [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 15:15
Expert's post
Many aspects of your profile are very attractive to top schools such as your targets. The fact you have been promoted to a post MBA position with only 2.5 years under your belt will be impressive and speaks to your traditional leadership (and likely your thought leadership) skills. Top b-schools seek the "rising stars" such as yourself. Your GMAT score backs this up, and although you hail from the uber competitive Indian pool, you should still be able to stand out if you cast your story and post MBA vision in a compelling way. One area I see as a challenge for you is in your targeting the PE world. Depending on your access to this world now in your current role, you may have trouble convincing the adcoms you will be able to tap this industry post MBA. It is widely considered a near-impossibility to land a job in PE as a short term goal (immediately at graduation). You want to make sure you communicate that you know this and have a plan for cracking the industry anyway. Another tack could be to choose something more connected to your current role and then just secretly target PE on your own (it will take some saavy networking but it can be done). B-schools don't like the risk of someone not getting a job within 90 days of graduation because it reflects poorly on their ranking stats. If they sense your are hell-bent on PE and would be unwilling to take another position if you don't get the PE job you're seeking, they may pass on you for someone who is less of an employability risk. Coupled with the added wild card of HB1 visa sponsorship, you need to be careful how you approach this in your application. Hope this helps.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews