Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 09:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Greatly Appreciated!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - Greatly Appreciated! [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 17:28
Undergraduate Education: Carnegie Mellon University 3.3 GPA

Major: Business Administration w/ Concentration in Finance

Extracurriculars: Fraternity President, Director for Recruiting for School Job Fair, President of community service club on campus

GMAT: 700 (Q47, V40)

College: Graduated in 3.5 years while working on average 25-35 hours a week during my Sophomore, Junior, and Senior years. Took many leadership roles, 5 that have executive board representation.

Work Experience: Work at a top 10 Hospital System in the nation in Healthcare Finance. Went through a competitive rotational program for 2 years and graduated at the top of the class. Got promoted to a Sr. Financial analyst after two years and now work in Corporate Finance and support Healthcare IT. Currently manage an Analyst and 3 interns and will have 44 months of work experience come time for matriculation. I go back to school to recruit every year, have lead community service events for the company and organize social events regularly.

Took 3 weeks off from work to help a family business in india. Helped optimize inventory and supply chain management, and negotiated favorable contracts ( all in native language, not english)

Current Extracurriculars: Tutor kids in my free time, Mentor underprivileged children in the region, and complete tax returns for low income families.

Looking into go to management consulting post MBA, possibly continue in Healthcare as I do have a passion for the industry.

Applying to: Wharton, Sloan, Fuqua, Stern, Chicago, Tepper
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - Greatly Appreciated! [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 06:07
Expert's post
Hello,

Thanks for the info. Looks like you have a competitive academic profile and strong work experience based on the below (consistent promotion, taking on more responsibility over time, leadership and firm level service/initiative). The gaps that I see are more around community and extracurricular activities - it seems to me that your community work is more on an ad-hoc basis. While it's good that you volunteer in some capacity, it would be better if you had active leadership roles in the community organizations that you are involved with. I didn't see any mention of extracurricular activities, but it's also important to showcase your personal passions/interests, and to find stories that demonstrate you are actively engaged in life (and again, ideally in a leadership capacity: e.g., 'i started a soccer team, i founded a photography club for xyz kids locally...'). While you have a lot of college extracurricular leadership activity, you really want to focus on showcasing post-college involvement.

I think your school list is very thoughtful - a very good range of programs in there. I might suggest that you choose between Wharton and MIT as they are both highly competitive and, while I think you have a shot at these programs, I think Chicago and Fuqua are more realistic targets for you. So perhaps you apply to Wharton (strong healthcare program), Chicago, Fuqua, +1, and Tepper (safety). Your 5th school could be something like Michigan or UVA (something in that range).

Hope this is helpful!

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter