Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation & Guidance for MBA/MSc in Management

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation & Guidance for MBA/MSc in Management [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2013, 08:46
HI All!
As you can see my user name, I am one of those kids with a low gpa.

Ill be very brief with my profile.

Graduating in : 2014
Nationality : Indian
School : Manipal Institute of Technology ( Manipal University, India ) - Reputed in India, Over 58 years old.
Degree : Bachelor of Engineering
Major : Computer Science
GPA- 7.2/10 Expected by date of Graduation

School : 10th -85%, 12th - 82% --> Important factors in our Country. This is considered above average.

Reason for low academics : I was never sure about my career and I wanted to have fun in life, and explore my interests.

Experience ( Latest first ):

1. 2 Month Internship with Ernst & Young LLP - Business Advisory
Loved the work here. Made me want to be a consultant.

2. Founding Member of Innovation portal & Business Incubator - Backed by a big name ex ceo of Alcatel Asia.

3. Founded a startup in the IT Sector. Running it for two years now. Have had decent clientele. USP : Students only. No professionals. Services offered: Everything web graphic and social

4. Founded a startup in 3D Printing. Manufacturing and rapid prototyping. Handling all business aspects. 6 months old. Lots of potential.

Those are the major items.

I want to learn more. I love economics. I want to do a bit of research too.
But at the end of the day, I want to get in consulting. Strategic. McKinsey. Get the experience. Start my own company at the age of 50. I want the exposure to all the goodies before I launch my big idea.

Now, having said that.

MBA? Should I get job experience ?
Definitely not in a position to be employed into entry level consulting jobs. Will end up in IT Sector. I dont want to code anymore.

MSc ?
Do I have the academic credentials to make it to LSE/LBS/HEC ? I dont know if the job prospects are good enough for me to recover the investment Ill be making.

I need a review and some guidance here as well on how I should shape my career.

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 343 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile Evaluation & Guidance for MBA/MSc in Management [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 21:42
Expert's post
lowgpa101 wrote:
HI All!
As you can see my user name, I am one of those kids with a low gpa.

Ill be very brief with my profile.

Graduating in : 2014
Nationality : Indian
School : Manipal Institute of Technology ( Manipal University, India ) - Reputed in India, Over 58 years old.
Degree : Bachelor of Engineering
Major : Computer Science
GPA- 7.2/10 Expected by date of Graduation

School : 10th -85%, 12th - 82% --> Important factors in our Country. This is considered above average.

Reason for low academics : I was never sure about my career and I wanted to have fun in life, and explore my interests.

Experience ( Latest first ):

1. 2 Month Internship with Ernst & Young LLP - Business Advisory
Loved the work here. Made me want to be a consultant.

2. Founding Member of Innovation portal & Business Incubator - Backed by a big name ex ceo of Alcatel Asia.

3. Founded a startup in the IT Sector. Running it for two years now. Have had decent clientele. USP : Students only. No professionals. Services offered: Everything web graphic and social

4. Founded a startup in 3D Printing. Manufacturing and rapid prototyping. Handling all business aspects. 6 months old. Lots of potential.

Those are the major items.

I want to learn more. I love economics. I want to do a bit of research too.
But at the end of the day, I want to get in consulting. Strategic. McKinsey. Get the experience. Start my own company at the age of 50. I want the exposure to all the goodies before I launch my big idea.

Now, having said that.

MBA? Should I get job experience ?
Definitely not in a position to be employed into entry level consulting jobs. Will end up in IT Sector. I dont want to code anymore.

MSc ?
Do I have the academic credentials to make it to LSE/LBS/HEC ? I dont know if the job prospects are good enough for me to recover the investment Ill be making.

I need a review and some guidance here as well on how I should shape my career.

While I higher GPA would certainly be better, a 7.2 isn't awful either. You may want to look at several of the resources we have at Overcoming MBA Application Weaknesses., specifically MBA Admissions A-Z: U is for Undergrad Grades.

I can't assess your competitiveness without an idea of your GMAT score. Obviously it will be very important if your grades are below average for your target programs.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog