Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 17:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation: HBS 2+2

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation: HBS 2+2 [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 13:20
Hello,

Thanks in advance for your help-- I really appreciate it.

Here is my profile for the HBS 2+2 Program. Historically, I know that 2+2 has targeted non-business majors, and my whole background is business related. However, I have heard that this year HBS will be targeting business majors as well. Given that my whole backgorund is business related, how do you think I stack up against the competition?

School: Texas A&M
Major: Finance and Accounting
Year: Junior
GPA: 3.92
Work Experience: Interned at Goldman Sachs (Special Situations Group, Hedge Fund), PricewaterhouseCoopers (Transactions Services), Barclays Capital (Energy IB)
GMAT: 720
Nationality: White
Extracurricular: Assistant Director of 100 member service organization on campus, Raised 6,000 for High School Service Conference held on campus, Travel Coordinator and Director for Investment Banking Club, Liason between bulge bracket banks and students searching for investment banking opportunities.

Let me know what you think about my chances at 2+2.

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation: HBS 2+2 [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 03:44
Expert's post
bcb0814 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks in advance for your help-- I really appreciate it.

Here is my profile for the HBS 2+2 Program. Historically, I know that 2+2 has targeted non-business majors, and my whole background is business related. However, I have heard that this year HBS will be targeting business majors as well. Given that my whole backgorund is business related, how do you think I stack up against the competition?

School: Texas A&M
Major: Finance and Accounting
Year: Junior
GPA: 3.92
Work Experience: Interned at Goldman Sachs (Special Situations Group, Hedge Fund), PricewaterhouseCoopers (Transactions Services), Barclays Capital (Energy IB)
GMAT: 720
Nationality: White
Extracurricular: Assistant Director of 100 member service organization on campus, Raised 6,000 for High School Service Conference held on campus, Travel Coordinator and Director for Investment Banking Club, Liason between bulge bracket banks and students searching for investment banking opportunities.

Let me know what you think about my chances at 2+2.

Thanks.

I tend to think of HBS's 2+2 program as an opportunity for their admissions office to grab truly impressive student leaders before they digress and steer their careers away from business to such an extent that it cannot be reined in. While your statistics make you within the range of "acceptable" to 2+2, I don't think that your chances of admission are great just because I don't see truly exceptional leadership behind you yet (not because you are an undergrad business major). While I encourage you to apply anyway (since you always stand a better chance of acceptance if you apply than if you don't), I have a feeling that you will have a better chance if you join Goldman after graduating and apply after a couple of years of full-time experience there.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation: HBS 2+2 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 15:28
Hi I was just wondering how you ended up doing? I am also a student at A&M.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation: HBS 2+2 [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 02:30
Expert's post
jenniferbloom wrote:
I tend to think of HBS's 2+2 program as an opportunity for their admissions office to grab truly impressive student leaders before they digress and steer their careers away from business to such an extent that it cannot be reined in. While your statistics make you within the range of "acceptable" to 2+2, I don't think that your chances of admission are great just because I don't see truly exceptional leadership behind you yet (not because you are an undergrad business major). While I encourage you to apply anyway (since you always stand a better chance of acceptance if you apply than if you don't), I have a feeling that you will have a better chance if you join Goldman after graduating and apply after a couple of years of full-time experience there.

I just want to add that HBS does seem to be limiting the number of traditional IB students this year under the stewardship of Dean Nohria. To distinguish yourself from the rest of the Goldman class - at least for HBS - I would recommend finding ways (either within Goldman or extracurricularly) to create value, make a positive difference in the world, and demonstrate that you are someone whom others place trust in - and make these messages central to your application.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog