Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 00:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation- Healthcare IT PM

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.76
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Profile Evaluation- Healthcare IT PM [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 05:23
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Thanks for taking a look at my profile! I've been working in healthcare IT since graduating college and want to transition to strategy consulting in the same space. I'm looking for a realistic evaluation of my shot at top schools.

Nationality: American

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience:
I work at the largest and fastest growing electronic medical records firm as project manager dealing with billing software for large hospital orgs. We've got about 5,500 employees and pretty dominant market-share but we're privately held and midwestern so I'm not sure how high-profile we are. I have ~20 months of experience right now and will have 39 at matriculation.
*I worked the first 16 months as a Coordinator, splitting my time between two clients (it's extremely rare for Coordinators to get two clients), and was primarily responsible for leading a team of 10 client-employed analysts for each project and guiding them through the process of designing and implementing our software.
*Since being promoted to Manager I've taken on two new projects, each with one Coordinator as a direct report and my focus has moved away from technical design and direct project management. I now mainly work with our clients' CFO and Director level staff to help them manage the financial risks and leverage the opportunities for efficiency that come with the roll-out of an electronic billing system. I'm also responsible for managing our team's budget (about $1 million annually on each project) and developing my Coordinators.
*Internally I lead a team of seven PMs (some more senior than myself) responsible for managing client escalations and promoting best practices within several modules of our software. I'm the most junior employee to hold this position and was selected to present to our division (~1,300 people at the presentation) on how to be effective in the role.

2) Your GMAT:
760(Q48,V47); AWA- 6.0

3) College info:
Claremont McKenna College, 2010, International Relations (Cum Laude, Honors), 3.76 GPA

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience:
College
*Editor of student paper
*Writer on two other papers
*Lots of volunteer hours and eventually paid employment tutoring first-generation college applicants and underprivileged students
*President of small political club (not Dems or Reps)
Since
*Little time- no volunteering
*Competitive autocross and road racer (legally!) and work with the regional clubs to organize track days and other events

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA:
Nada

6) Your target programs:
Kellog (my number one pick), HBS, Booth, Sloan, Wharton,

7) Your post-MBA goal:
My job right now is at the intersection of revenue consulting, project management, and software- I want to move into strategy consulting for healthcare orgs. The industry's at a major turning point right now when it comes to technology, regulations, and business models and I want to make a difference in how hospitals do business. The parts of my job that let me produce measurable financial improvements for my clients are far and away the most rewarding and I want to be able to take that to the next level.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation- Healthcare IT PM [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 14:56
Expert's post
I think schools will be impressed with your singular healthcare career vision and your GMAT should attract the top schools. You need to emphasize your leadership and less the IT or software angle of your job, since b-schools really like leadership and often software and IT are dissassociated with leadership. You should also consider Duke, which is considered a sister school with Kellogg culturally, yet has a far more robust healthcare connection.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation- Healthcare IT PM [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 14:57
Expert's post
Oh--forgot to add that you should try to seek out some volunteer experience in the healthcare industry, which is very easy to get, and would therefore be suspect if you don't have any.

Bryant Michaels

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.76
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile Evaluation- Healthcare IT PM [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 08:51
Thanks a bunch for the input! My research makes it look like Haas is a good MBA for the industry too so I'm looking into that as well.

I'll start looking for volunteer opportunities- I'm just wary about being inauthentic there so I'll try to find something that's not just resume-padding drudgery. You didn't mention years of experience as a concern at all but it had definitely been one of mine- do I have anything to worry about applying with ~39 months? It looks like it's shy of the average but above the two-year minimum I hear alot of people mention.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation- Healthcare IT PM [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 06:08
Expert's post
I would not be worried about 3 years of WE at all. As for volunteering, if you do it in the healthcare arena, it is much easier to avoid having it appear like last minute padding (because it ties in with your career involvement, they won't notice as much the recency, plus there may be something you are forgetting about that you have done in your past that was outside the scope of your job duties that might technically have been volunteer work?)

Bryant Michaels

Veritas Prep Reviews