Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation help [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2012, 11:09
GMAT: 660 awa 6.0

Demographic profile: Indian/Male – Currently living in the US. In the US for the past 6 years

Education: MS in CS from University of Southern California. GPA – 3.44

Work Experience: 4 ½ years

About work experience: I have been working at Microsoft Corp since January 2008. I interned here in the summer of 2007 and joined full time after graduation in December 2007. I got promoted two times and am currently at the level of a Tech lead, working as a software development engineer in test 2, working on developing windows 8.

Extra curriculars and others:
1. I am helping a friend set up his own startup. I help him with some technical stuff and also help him with the marketing and publicity work of his start up.
2. I have been volunteering for AID India, and NGO that supports various development projects in India, for the last 3 years. I am the secretary of the Seattle Chapter of AID.
3. I regularly run to raise funds for the NGO I support. I ran the 2010 Athens Marathon in Greece, and the Seattle Rock and Roll half marathon.
4. I play in the Northwest Cricket League, for Olympic Cricket Club. I have been playing cricket here in the Northwest since 2008. I am also the treasurer for our club managing its finances.

Region I want to settle post MBA: India

Target schools: Indian School of Business, Booth, Haas, Stanford, NYU, LSB, INSEAD

Do I have a chance to get into these schools? Are there any other schools I can try for?
Also, is my GMAT score sufficient? Or should I give it another shot and try for a higher score? In all the practice tests I did, I consistently got 730+. So this was a shocker 
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation help [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 08:11
tptella,
I think you are reaching too high. You are in a very oversubscribed applicant pool, so you will face fierce competition from applicants who typically have 720+ GMATs. Your professional and extracurricular profile looks respectable, but there needs to be more to aim high. Perhaps there is more there, so feel free to send me your resume for a closer look: paulbodine@yahoo.com. But based on your current score and profile I would be suggesting schools like USC, Indiana, Vanderbilt etc. If you hit the 80th percentile in Verbal and Quant then your list would change but perhaps only Booth, of the schools you listed, would be on it. With a raised score you could consider places like Duke, Cornell, etc.

--Paul Bodine
Great Applications for Business School
http://www.paulsbodine.com

tptella wrote:

Demographic profile: Indian/Male – Currently living in the US. In the US for the past 6 years

About work experience: I have been working at Microsoft Corp since January 2008. I interned here in the summer of 2007 and joined full time after graduation in December 2007. I got promoted two times and am currently at the level of a Tech lead, working as a software development engineer in test 2, working on developing windows 8.

1. I am helping a friend set up his own startup. I help him with some technical stuff and also help him with the marketing and publicity work of his start up.
2. I have been volunteering for AID India, and NGO that supports various development projects in India, for the last 3 years. I am the secretary of the Seattle Chapter of AID.
3. I regularly run to raise funds for the NGO I support. I ran the 2010 Athens Marathon in Greece, and the Seattle Rock and Roll half marathon.
4. I play in the Northwest Cricket League, for Olympic Cricket Club. I have been playing cricket here in the Northwest since 2008. I am also the treasurer for our club managing its finances.

Target schools: Indian School of Business, Booth, Haas, Stanford, NYU, LSB, INSEAD

Do I have a chance to get into these schools? Are there any other schools I can try for?
Also, is my GMAT score sufficient? Or should I give it another shot and try for a higher score? In all the practice tests I did, I consistently got 730+. So this was a shocker 

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile evaluation help [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 01:23
tptella wrote:

Hi,

Your have good GPA and a remarkable corporate exposure. But you have an average GMAT Score and the list of B School you have prepared require atleast 710/720 GMAT Score. If you have decided to go for the B Schools you have mentioned you need to take one more shot. Otherwise there are some top b schools which you can target with your current GMAT Score are Indiana Kelley, Emory, Texas, Purdue and Thunderbird. As the average GMAT Score for these B Schools fall in between 650-700 range.

You are in perfect stage of your career and around 5 years of work experience is what most B Schools look for.

However you would need to cleverly prepare yourself for questions like why you had a low GMAT score, the reasons you want to switch from IT to management, your rationale behind applying for a specific B school, so on and so forth.

The next step for you is to focus more on your application essays & recommendations for these Business Schools. Hence it would be highly advisable to seek assistance from professional consultants for guidance on preparing a good letters of recommendations and get your essays/scholarship essays evaluated before sending it out along with your application.

Please visithttp://www.general-ed.com/MBA-essay-analysisto see more about online Essay Evaluation and http://www.general-ed.com/mba-counseling & http://www.general-ed.com/mba-interview-preparation to see how General Ed can help you with MBA counselling and interview preparation.

Also if you happen to be based out of either Delhi, Bangalore or Mumbai, you can attend a MBA workshop by Prof A.K Kannan, Dean Admissions ISB along with alumnus of various global B-Schools during the dates mentioned in this links http://www.general-ed.com/workshops-and-seminars

Feel free to post any other query or concern that you might have.

Regards
Neha Singh
http://www.general-ed.com/
Re: Profile evaluation help   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2012, 01:23