Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Dec 2015, 09:26
GMAT Club Tests

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation -Help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation -Help [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2015, 04:05

My name is Abhinandan. I am looking to do a full-time MBA from one of these schools (Wharton/Booth/Tuck/MIT Sloan/NYU Stern/Haas). I feel my profile is weak and want help to enable me improve it.

So here is my background - I am 23.5 years old (Indian male). I am a Chartered Accountant (CA). I started my CA right out of school - you should know that there are three levels (Entrance, Intermediate and Final). Once I completed my entrance and intermediate levels, I am required to undergo 3 years of articleship (practical training). This is a pre-requisite for me to appear for the CA-final exam. I underwent my articleship with KPMG (Big 4 -Audit division). Though this was an articleship, from the end of my first year, I was leading audit teams (statutory audit) as an engagement in-charge.

In my 3rd year, I wrote my CA-Final exam and passed it in my first attempt. The overall pass percentage in country was 3.1%. I scored 6 marks lesser than the All India 50th rank candidate (who was a friend). So out of 30K people who appeared for the exam, I was among the 900 who passed the exam and was close to the 50th rank. (I am giving these details to inquire if the above matter to business schools or will they only look that I passed the CA final exam)

Post my CA I did my under graduation with an university named Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU). Since CA does not require graduation and is more valuable than B-com, I started out directly without doing my graduation. IGNOU had a tie-up with the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India wherein if I gave a specific set of exams, I would be issued the Bachelor of Commerce degree. I obtained my B-com through this without going to college.

However, my overall marks for graduation were not high since a portion of the marks were taken from my CA marks - which are low in absolute terms (56.2% in CA-final though is low in absolute terms - relatively it was more than 99th percentile)

Post my CA-final, I continued in KPMG audit for about 8 months and got a transfer to the Deal Advisory department in Oct 2014. I presently work in the Deal Advisory department of KPMG (9 months and counting). In effect, I have about 4 years and 5 months now including my articleship.

I intend to write GMAT sometime in October 2015. I am aiming for a score not less than 740. I intend to apply to schools in Sep 2016.

In terms of extra-curricular I don't have much to show due to hectic work schedules. I used to play basketball and cricket in school - but don't really have certificates to prove anything.

I used to visit orphanages through office to teach children and also attended tree plantation drives. I was part of a social club who used to visit orphanages during festivals and give them food, clothes etc. I would really want to improve my co-curricular profile and require guidance on what I can do.

So my overall concerns are the following:
> I don't have a proper graduation obtained from a full-time college and the marks I secured are low (60%)
> My work experience seems decent - but that's presuming my 3 years articleship would be considered as work experience. Though I was an article, I was a full time employee for all practical purposes.
> My co-curricular profile is weak since I didn't attend college - I can't demonstrate leadership skills.

Presuming I get a GMAT score of 740+ and I do develop my co-curricular activities during the next 1 year, how strong is my profile to apply in any of the above mentioned schools?

Please help - let me know in case of any clarifications.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Profile evaluation -Help   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2015, 04:05