Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 03:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation...I am good fit for NYU Part-time

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation...I am good fit for NYU Part-time [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2007, 13:30
I would like to Thank the people behind this great Forum for evaluating our profiles..I know my track of questions is going to be typically self-centered, but I am hoping that more can come out of this discussion...At the very least it could help me make up my mind whether or not to take the next step..So here it goes..

Experience: 3.5 years
Industry: Environmental Consulting (mostly working in Water Resources)
Leadership Experience: Lead teams of Engineers and GIS professionals in various phases of a 3.8 million USD MapMod contract (for FEMA and State of Alabama)...Managed smaller projects (less than 20k) for Cleints including cities and Counties...Implemented various initiatives, from more integrated software development to new documenting strategies..etc
Community Work: Habitat for Humanity (Buliding a house in association with the local church)..Partipicant in a Boat race (money raised was given to local charities)..Stream clean up (non-leadership role again)..Middle school tutoring..

Academics:
Bachelor's: Chemical Engg (Mumbai Univ..58% aggregate)
Master's: Environmental Engg (USC..GPA 3.22/4.00)

Test:
GMAT:730
GRE:2080/2400 (old format 2003)
Toefl: Yet to appear

Certifications:
Professional Engineer State of Alabama
Cerified Floodplain Manager

Target School: NYU Stern Part-time (plan to transfer to our Princeton office)

I reckon that presents a complete picture of what I have done with my life so far..The reason I want to get an MBA now is to give me an extra edge over everyone else..My office Environment is very competetive..we are grwoing by leaps and bounds I have been sort of pushed into this because of decisions made by others and also my need to stay competetive..Maybe not the best reasons but its true..

What do my chances look like? Is Part time more competetive than full-time MBA..I am only looking at Univ where my company has a working growing office..I do not plan to switch companies..NYU is probably my best choice in that scenario and I would love some feedback as to whether or not I have a chance and if yes what kind of strategy should I develop to sell myself...

Looking forward to a frank and brutal evalutaion

Thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile Evaluation...I am good fit for NYU Part-time [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2007, 21:17
Expert's post
rajiv1980 wrote:
I would like to Thank the people behind this great Forum for evaluating our profiles..I know my track of questions is going to be typically self-centered, but I am hoping that more can come out of this discussion...At the very least it could help me make up my mind whether or not to take the next step..So here it goes..

Experience: 3.5 years
Industry: Environmental Consulting (mostly working in Water Resources)
Leadership Experience: Lead teams of Engineers and GIS professionals in various phases of a 3.8 million USD MapMod contract (for FEMA and State of Alabama)...Managed smaller projects (less than 20k) for Cleints including cities and Counties...Implemented various initiatives, from more integrated software development to new documenting strategies..etc
Community Work: Habitat for Humanity (Buliding a house in association with the local church)..Partipicant in a Boat race (money raised was given to local charities)..Stream clean up (non-leadership role again)..Middle school tutoring..

Academics:
Bachelor's: Chemical Engg (Mumbai Univ..58% aggregate)
Master's: Environmental Engg (USC..GPA 3.22/4.00)

Test:
GMAT:730
GRE:2080/2400 (old format 2003)
Toefl: Yet to appear

Certifications:
Professional Engineer State of Alabama
Cerified Floodplain Manager

Target School: NYU Stern Part-time (plan to transfer to our Princeton office)

I reckon that presents a complete picture of what I have done with my life so far..The reason I want to get an MBA now is to give me an extra edge over everyone else..My office Environment is very competetive..we are grwoing by leaps and bounds I have been sort of pushed into this because of decisions made by others and also my need to stay competetive..Maybe not the best reasons but its true..

What do my chances look like? Is Part time more competetive than full-time MBA..I am only looking at Univ where my company has a working growing office..I do not plan to switch companies..NYU is probably my best choice in that scenario and I would love some feedback as to whether or not I have a chance and if yes what kind of strategy should I develop to sell myself...

Looking forward to a frank and brutal evalutaion

Thanks

rajiv1980,

I am usually in the unpleasant position of reminding Indian applicants that they are being overoptimistic about their odds of getting into their dream schools because of their tough demographic. So it's a relief to be able to tell you that I think your profile stands out from your "tough demographic" and that you appear to be shortchanging your odds. I think you could conceivably get into NYU's full-time program and if it must be New York City then you might as well apply to Columbia too. I say this because your GMAT is excellent, your industry and location (Alabama) are both distinctive, you have decent community involvement, and you have team and project management experience. So your strategy should be to emphasize the above noted strengths and underscore your distinctiveness--educate them about your job and industry, tell them about adjusting to life in the Deep South etc. One piece of advice: give them extremely focused, savvy, well-vetted reasons for needing the MBA. Office competition is not good enough.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation...I am good fit for NYU Part-time [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2008, 10:01
Paul,

I truly appreciate all your Help..I think this definetly makes me feel that I am suited to take the next step..

Although your response does raise another question in my mind..Why do you think a full-time program is better than a part-time program from the same school? Is it worth giving up two years pay and job experience (Staying away from all the key new developments in the industry NOT to mention giving up promotions in that two year window) to pursue a full-time MBA?

Thanks for all your valuable advice..
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile Evaluation...I am good fit for NYU Part-time [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2008, 13:34
Expert's post
Rajiv,

I mentioned the full-time MBA only because I assumed you were aiming for the part-time MBA primarily in order to increase your odds. My point was that you would be competitive for full-time programs, but of course for some people the part-time MBA is the better option, especially people who do not need the internship opportunities that full-time programs offer and people who don't want to or can't afford to interrupt their careers. Down the road, no one will really care or know whether you earned your MBA part-time or full-time so pursue the type of program that best fits your life needs now.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog