Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation, IIT + International Experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation, IIT + International Experience [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2014, 15:10
Hello,

I request you to please go through my profile and help me understand the ground reality about my preparedness for the MBA schools. Planning to apply in ’15 for the batch starting n ‘16

GMAT: Not taken (Please suggest on the score I should target)
Target: Batch of 2016

Education:

B.Tech from IIT Bombay, India; GPA – 8.1/10; Graduated in ‘12
(Ranked in top 0.2% among more than 1.5 million students in IIT Joint Entrance Exam)

Work Exp: Total: 2 years and 2 months (will be 4 years total at the time of joining ‘16 batch)

1. India’s largest e-commerce company, Flipkart (2 years, India)

• Joined as a Management Trainee and promoted to Assistant Manager, Supply Chain in 9 months (fastest promotion in the company)
• End to end supply chain and project management exposure: worked on supply chain processes, products, analytics and strategy (as an internal consultant) to scale-up operations from 15k shipments/day to 100k shipments/day in 2 years
• Prepared and presented 6 business cases relating to growth, efficiency and cost to senior management; received a rating 4/5

2. An international retail franchise, M.H. Alshaya, Business Solutions Engineer (2 months - Present, Kuwait)

• Working on a variety of projects such as supply chain solutions for Victoria Secrets in franchise model, business reporting metric design for all fashion and footwear retail brands
• Majorly an internal consultant role to link the business side of every brand with other teams such as finance, logistics, IT etc.

Professional certifications:
1. Green Belt, Six Sigma from American Society for Quality
2. CFA Level 1 Candidate for December 2014 exam

Internship:

1. PwC India, Telecom Strategy Consulting, Summer Associate (3 months)

• ERP transformation project for one of the world’s leading telecom companies acquiring an arm of the British Telecom
• Awarded a Pre-Placement Offer (PPO) for a full time job as a consultant

Extracurricular Activities:

1. Head of fund raising and sponsorship team for the college cultural festival
(Asia’s largest 4-day college cultural festival with a footfall of 72k and a total budget of INR 20 million)
2. Hostel sports secretary
3. Organized blood donation camps and street plays during college for awareness on women exploitation
4. Captain of U-15 city team to win the handball tournament in the state
5. Participated in a lot of football tournaments and won a few
6. Conducted a joint study with Texas A&M University to optimize energy models for rural electrification for a project.
7. Active member of the toastmasters club in Kuwait

After MBA goals:
Short term: Management consulting role in a top consulting firm.
Long term: Leadership role in a Fortune 100 company.

Target Schools: Not done extensive research about the schools. Please suggest.

Sincerely,
TN
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Status: One Consultant. Unparalleled Experience. Unlimited Support. - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Stanford admit rate 2013: 100%
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Profile Evaluation, IIT + International Experience [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2014, 20:20
Thanks for the detailed post, makes it easier to provide feedback. First, you have a very impressive profile and have a great chance of getting into some top schools. If you wanted to, you could even apply this year. Waiting is not a bad strategy as your candidacy will only improve with another year, but if you were anxious you would have a decent chance this year as well.

Your experience at Flipkart is impressive. I am familiar with the company as I have worked with them and there are some great stories to tell from that experience. While you don't have a top tier feeder consulting name on your resume, the responsibility and the company will certainly help separate you to some extent from the pack of technical consultants / engineers who are competing for the same spots.

Why did you switch jobs? It doesn't seem on paper as the 2nd job was a big promotion, but perhaps there is more to the story.

GMAT: As you have read everywhere, target 700+, and for someone like you I would imagine you could and should get a 730-740. Not a dealbreaker if you don't, but it would back up your otherwise strong story.

Schools: You have a number to choose from given your experience and desired roles after school. I would recommend looking into these and seeing which ones feel right. Talk with alums, read about the programs and classes, and you can always reach out to me for my off the record thoughts on the programs.
- Wharton
- HBS
- Columbia
- Kellogg
- MIT Sloan
- NYU Stern
- Yale SOM
I can give you further thoughts on the wide spectrum of schools, but you have a good chance at some at the top.

Your profile is impressive and you have a good shot at the top schools, provided everything else comes together with your overall story and brand messaging. Its worth doing some advance planning so your application is buttoned up and ready to go.

-Scott Edinburgh
Personal MBA Coach
scott@personalmbacoach.com
www.personalmbacoach.com
--Free consultation & application strategy discussion

Scott Edinburgh
Personal MBA Coach
scott@personalmbacoach.com
http://www.personalmbacoach.com
--Free consultation & application strategy discussion

Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile Evaluation, IIT + International Experience [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2014, 01:35
Hi there,

You have an impressive profile. Your academics, work experience and extra curricular are really good. You have made a good decision to apply in 2015 for the class of 2016. By that time you will have approx. 4 years of work experience and that is what most of the US B-Schools look for. So, based on your profile and your short term, long term goal I would suggest you to target B-Schools like Kellogg, Dartmouth Tuck, Michigan Ross, Kenan Flagler and Darden. And to get into such B-Schools you should target scoring 710+ GMAT Score.

Meanwhile, start building up your profile and start making contacts with the alumni and adcom of your targeted B-Schools.

You may also try your chances of getting admit in a top business school by trying this amazing Your chances for B-School tool http://bit.ly/1pGnz0o

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation, IIT + International Experience [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2014, 11:44
Thank you both PersonalMBACoach and Neha for your time and evaluation. This gave me the much needed motivation to score well on my gmat.

@PersonalMBACoach:
The reasons for the job switch to Kuwait were:
1. I wanted to gain more exposure on how Supply chains of different brands work (Flipkart had 1 supply chain and Alshaya has approx. 90 brands with different supply chains).
2. The paychecks are fatter across middle east and given that I want to do an MBA from outside India, it would have been very difficult to sponsor my studies working in India. I do not have more economic support from my family.

Would like to hear your feedback on this.
Re: Profile Evaluation, IIT + International Experience   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2014, 11:44