Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:51 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation - Indian/28/F/Entrepreneur [#permalink]
Scott and Manish - Thanks a lot.

Apologies, I was out of station and couldn't respond earlier.

1) where did you go for your undergrad and what was your GPA?
Top 20 College in India (Anna University) and my percentage is 70.

2) what extra-curriculars do you do and do you have leadership roles?
a. Dance team member and won lot of accolades in School and college
b. Represented College in state-level sports in Table Tennis and Volleyball
c. Diploma state rank holder (7th rank) in 5th semester
d. Volunteered NSS (National Service Scheme)

3) tell me more about your business. How has it grown? How big is it (revenue)? Biggest accomplishments?
a. In the past 3 years, it has grown from 1 shoot in 2 month to 10+ shoots a month.
b. On the revenue front - its not big in number !. But from X in first to 10x in 3rd year.
c. Worked closely with Tier 1 models including Miss India Diva 2014.
d. Complete onus of online marketing campaign for my FB page.
e. Worked with Brides across India.

4) post MBA goals?
a. In short & Medium term - Would like to work in MGMT role in Luxury brands (Beauty & Fashion) in US
b. On long run - would like to return to India and start my own firm.

5) why you left the Renault gig and what makes you seek an MBA at this stage?
a. Though very interesting, I couldn't settle for a day job. Also, moved to a new city and felt an opportunity in beauty sector, on which I had keen interest. So, I jumped on to it.
b. To be frank - When I started I was selling my IP for a price :-). But, in the process, I met lot of obstacles/opportunities to learn many aspects related to the way the business is run. Also, without basic understanding of OPS/People/Strategy running or scaling my business was quite tough. I see a pressing need for an business degree !.

Thanks !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
NewRover,

As Scott and Manish pointed out, a lot of the elements that will differentiate you with this background will include not only your level of success but also your level of responsibility and engagement. The top programs want to see track records of success, but they also certainly want to see your commitment to endeavors and your ability to both lead as well as work on a team, whether or not these ventures succeeded or failed.

Your qualifications (GPA, GMAT, letters of rec) help admissions get a picture as to how you'd fit along with other applicants, but there is more to the story. Creating your story and telling the "how" and "why" of going from Renault to being self-employed will be critical here. There is a lot to like with your profile, but condensing your various and valuable experiences--because you've certainly done a lot--is essential. Because you've done so much, you want to focus on the most important elements of your story--sometimes less is more.

In any case, I like the directions your story may be moving in, and a GMAT retake and +700 score will only boost your chances! If you have any additional questions, please request an additional FREE 15-minute profile review from a WyseGyde admissions consultants. WyseGyde consultants have track records of success at top schools such as Wharton, Booth, Tuck, HBS, Columbia, Darden, and the list goes on. They could certainly help guide you along your MBA path…and the profile review is FREE!

Sign-up for your profile review or information at https://www.wysegyde.com or email us directly at info@wysegyde.com.

We look forward to helping you reach your MBA and career goals!

--The WyseGydes
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
NewRover wrote:

<<snip>>

b. To be frank - When I started I was selling my IP for a price :-). But, in the process, I met lot of obstacles/opportunities to learn many aspects related to the way the business is run. Also, without basic understanding of OPS/People/Strategy running or scaling my business was quite tough. I see a pressing need for an business degree !.

Thanks !

Right, so the arc does sound interesting and impressive. But I would ask you to do a STRONG reality check on your post-MBA goal. Luxury sector is one, not a bit MBA recruiter and two, hardly ever takes international candidates. With another goals story, maybe it would have been interesting but if that's your goal, try to add a bit of realism and research.

Don't get me wrong. Your story has a lot of potential and with a 700+ score, it will get really interesting. But the goals story is 'the' most important thing to sort out. With that, you should have a decent shot.
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
NewRover wrote:

a. Dance team member and won lot of accolades in School and college
b. Represented College in state-level sports in Table Tennis and Volleyball
c. Diploma state rank holder (7th rank) in 5th semester
d. Volunteered NSS (National Service Scheme)

3) tell me more about your business. How has it grown? How big is it (revenue)? Biggest accomplishments?
a. In the past 3 years, it has grown from 1 shoot in 2 month to 10+ shoots a month.
b. On the revenue front - its not big in number !. But from X in first to 10x in 3rd year.
c. Worked closely with Tier 1 models including Miss India Diva 2014.
d. Complete onus of online marketing campaign for my FB page.
e. Worked with Brides across India.

4) post MBA goals?
a. In short & Medium term - Would like to work in MGMT role in Luxury brands (Beauty & Fashion) in US
b. On long run - would like to return to India and start my own firm.

5) why you left the Renault gig and what makes you seek an MBA at this stage?
a. Though very interesting, I couldn't settle for a day job. Also, moved to a new city and felt an opportunity in beauty sector, on which I had keen interest. So, I jumped on to it.

Thanks !

Thanks for the additional detail. If you can get 700+ on the GMAT and explain your story very well, you would likely be an attractive candidate at many top 20 programs, though top 10 may be tougher to achieve. It will be important to have continuous involvement in extra-curriculars so I am more interested in what you have done since college.

You have made quite a transition so it will require some careful explanation, but it's certainly possible. Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
NewRover,

Great job on the entrepreneurship activities so far.

Definitely try to get a 700+ score - the higher the better. Things that would affect your application:

1) What did you do at Renault - why did you decide that it was not your calling?
2) What did you learn from your time as an entrepreneur - scale will matter somehow.
3) What are your goals - how do they tie up with your past experiences.
4) Marketing of any sort is going to be a tough sell - if you say you want to work outside of India.

Best wishes.

Karthik
GMAT Club Bot