Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 08:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation- Indian/710/4 yrs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Shashank: Sharma
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.46
WE: Project Management (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 5

Profile Evaluation- Indian/710/4 yrs [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2013, 12:17
Hi everyone,

Kindly evaluate my profile and let me know if my profile is suitable for the schools I'm applying to.

1. Profile : Indian / 25 years / Mechanical engineer
2. Work Experience : 4 year. Currently employed with Daikin (Japanese MNC) as a Sr. Engineer-Project management and leading a team of 6 people to manage 50+ dealer/distributors each having a staff of 10+ engineers.
Associated with 2 Green building projects. Have been promoted once in 1.5 years in my current company.
Previous employer : SEIPL
Was amongst the top 3 employees during the one month training organized by Company. As a result was transferred to the corporate office to be a part of technically most demanding and company's most profitable division, Clean room application of air conditioners(worked for multinationals like Ranbaxy, USV etc)
Promoted once during my stay in SEIPL
3. GMAT score : 710 (Verbal - 35 , Quant - 50 , IR 7)
4. TOEFL scores : awaited
5. Percentage :71.4% (Hold a B.E Honor from Panjab University. Honors degree is generally awarded to only 5-6% of the students in our university)
6. Extra Curricular : President of a club, head of mechanical wing of another during college.
7.Achievements : Stood first in state in National Science Olympiad. Represented state in a national level quiz contest
Social work - Active Member of a NGO

I want to start applying in the early rounds.
Does being a Non IT engineer put me at some advantage(compared to IT guys) or all Indian engineers are considered as same ..

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation- Indian/710/4 yrs [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2013, 12:11
Expert's post
Hi there,

Thanks for posting. While you aren't part of the Indian IT applicant pool, you're still part of the very large Indian engineering applicant pool ;). So standing out from the crowd and highlighting skills less-commonly-thought-of for engineers (such as people management, leadership, communication skills) will help you differentiate from that crowd.

I assume the schools you are applying to are the ones listed in your profile? As I didn't see you list any in your post. You could have a shot at those programs if you are able to successfully demonstrate what I mentioned above, and ALSO explain WHY you need the MBA, and how it fits into your short and long term career goals. All of that must make sense and help make the case for why YOU should be accepted over other competitive applicants. ;)

Hope that helps, keep us posted on q's and your progress!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php