Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Indian Applicant - 3.5 yrs WE Oil & Gas

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.54
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 20

Profile Evaluation - Indian Applicant - 3.5 yrs WE Oil & Gas [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 07:05
I would be grateful if you can assess my profile.

24 year old Indian Male

Current Job:Working as a Petroleum Engineer(Reservoir Engineer) in a
state-owned Oil and Gas E & P(Exploration and Production) company.(Didn't
switch to a bigger company for the vast learning experiences in a small
start-up dept.

760 GMAT (Q51,V41,AWA 5.0)-1st attempt
111 TOEFL iBT
6.68/10 GPA (3.54/4.00 on US Scale -Converted through World Education Services)
(Also submitting an alternative transcript(99/100 score) from mbamath online course to offset the low Quant Courses GPA)

Undergraduate Degree(Bachelor of Technology) in Petroleum Engineering from ISM
Dhanbad(the only institute apart from IITs to take admission through IIT-JEE.

Work Experience:3.5 years(from June 2009) with an Oil & Gas Exploration and
Production MNC(Public Sector Undertaking Company).

Promotions:On the same post(though had increasing responsibilities) for 3.5 years as
promotions are time-based in Indian Government Companies.(4-5 years)

Job Profile:1)Analysing well data from oil fields,running simulation based on those data and predicting forecasts for oil production and field development.
2)Work on oil rigs(atleast for 1 month per year) during the oil testing phase
3)Department Representative(1 from each dept. in the company) for the Corporate Data Managment System(CDMS).
4)Responsible for techno-economics in Reservoir Team.

Note:-In 2012,for 4 months,(Aug - Dec)due to 2 seniors leaving we had only 2 people(Me + 2 trainees who joined in June 2012) in the department.Due to this,I greatly managed most
of the work of the department (acting HOD-Head of Department) and made changes
to working of a few things.

Accomplishments:-1)Initiated the Well Site Visit of Reservoir Engineers to Offshore Rig during Well
Testing(A new process in a start-up department).
2)Presented SPE(Society of Petroleum Engineers) Paper on "Drilling & Testing
Challenges in HPHT Environment" in OGIC(Oil and Gas International Conference),2012.
Represented the Company at OGIC;1st in-house paper at the company.

Extra-Curriculars:-1)Worked as a Presiding Officer in the Gujarat State Assembly Elections(Social Work/Leadership) in Dec. 2012.
2)Found the College Rock Band 'Blitzkreig'(Played Rhythm Guitar) with a batchmate(also a singer in the band)
3)Was a member of the team which co-ordinated the 2010 ISM(College) local Alumni Meet.

Language Skills:-Hindi (Native),English (Fluent),French (Intermediate - Cleared DELF A2 level),Rajasthani(Native).

Career Goals:-
Short Term-Join a consultancy firm in energy/petroleum sector(Can utilize both my technical and management skills)
Long Term-Start own consultancy firm myself or with colleagues in the same domain area.
In relevance to career goals,I am looking to major in
Consulting/Entrepreneurship/International Business(given the international reach of oil and gas industry)

Schools :Harvard,Stanford,Wharton,Columbia,MIT,Columbia and NYU
(Suggestions welcome regarding adding or dropping any school(s) considering the
majors and career goals)

P.S.(I prefer to study in a big city ;personal choice as well as more opportunities.A campus with more facilities/student attracts my eye-Ex:-Stanford)Please correct me if I am wrong in considering the above 2 factors.

It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you kudos does rev the engines :)

Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 346 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile Evaluation - Indian Applicant - 3.5 yrs WE Oil & Gas [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 17:11
Expert's post
harshchamp wrote:
I would be grateful if you can assess my profile.

24 year old Indian Male

Current Job:Working as a Petroleum Engineer(Reservoir Engineer) in a
state-owned Oil and Gas E & P(Exploration and Production) company.(Didn't
switch to a bigger company for the vast learning experiences in a small
start-up dept.

760 GMAT (Q51,V41,AWA 5.0)-1st attempt
111 TOEFL iBT
6.68/10 GPA (3.54/4.00 on US Scale -Converted through World Education Services)
(Also submitting an alternative transcript(99/100 score) from mbamath online course to offset the low Quant Courses GPA)

Undergraduate Degree(Bachelor of Technology) in Petroleum Engineering from ISM
Dhanbad(the only institute apart from IITs to take admission through IIT-JEE.

Work Experience:3.5 years(from June 2009) with an Oil & Gas Exploration and
Production MNC(Public Sector Undertaking Company).

Promotions:On the same post(though had increasing responsibilities) for 3.5 years as
promotions are time-based in Indian Government Companies.(4-5 years)

Job Profile:1)Analysing well data from oil fields,running simulation based on those data and predicting forecasts for oil production and field development.
2)Work on oil rigs(atleast for 1 month per year) during the oil testing phase
3)Department Representative(1 from each dept. in the company) for the Corporate Data Managment System(CDMS).
4)Responsible for techno-economics in Reservoir Team.

Note:-In 2012,for 4 months,(Aug - Dec)due to 2 seniors leaving we had only 2 people(Me + 2 trainees who joined in June 2012) in the department.Due to this,I greatly managed most
of the work of the department (acting HOD-Head of Department) and made changes
to working of a few things.

Accomplishments:-1)Initiated the Well Site Visit of Reservoir Engineers to Offshore Rig during Well
Testing(A new process in a start-up department).
2)Presented SPE(Society of Petroleum Engineers) Paper on "Drilling & Testing
Challenges in HPHT Environment" in OGIC(Oil and Gas International Conference),2012.
Represented the Company at OGIC;1st in-house paper at the company.

Extra-Curriculars:-1)Worked as a Presiding Officer in the Gujarat State Assembly Elections(Social Work/Leadership) in Dec. 2012.
2)Found the College Rock Band 'Blitzkreig'(Played Rhythm Guitar) with a batchmate(also a singer in the band)
3)Was a member of the team which co-ordinated the 2010 ISM(College) local Alumni Meet.

Language Skills:-Hindi (Native),English (Fluent),French (Intermediate - Cleared DELF A2 level),Rajasthani(Native).

Career Goals:-
Short Term-Join a consultancy firm in energy/petroleum sector(Can utilize both my technical and management skills)
Long Term-Start own consultancy firm myself or with colleagues in the same domain area.
In relevance to career goals,I am looking to major in
Consulting/Entrepreneurship/International Business(given the international reach of oil and gas industry)

Schools :Harvard,Stanford,Wharton,Columbia,MIT,Columbia and NYU
(Suggestions welcome regarding adding or dropping any school(s) considering the
majors and career goals)

P.S.(I prefer to study in a big city ;personal choice as well as more opportunities.A campus with more facilities/student attracts my eye-Ex:-Stanford)Please correct me if I am wrong in considering the above 2 factors.

Harsh,

You are applying appropriately given your goals and qualifications. Your youthmay be a disadvantage, but time has away of taking care of that if you are not accepted next year.

Please let me know if you would like help with your MBA applications.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog