Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 20:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

profile evaluation - Indian Banker

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

profile evaluation - Indian Banker [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2012, 10:12
Hiya,

I think i am the first one to post in this column..wow. Thank you for taking the time out to review my profile. Let me give you a brief on my resume so that you can have a better understanding of the same:

a) Work Experience: Currently working for an Indian investment bank as a PE/M&A analyst. I am planning to apply for 2013 batch and hoping to work till early 2013. I would have gained ~3 years of work experience (front end investment banking) which I think should prepare me to apply to a business school. I have worked on various deals, some of them have been the biggest in their sectors in India and also been part of the bank's business development exercise. Was solely responsible for originating a see side mandate for an Indian sugar company ($20 mn)

b) International Exposure: Apart from my one year stint in the UK during my masters (A top British Uni), I don’t really have any international exposure. Having said that, I do work with a lot of mid-market and boutique investments banks in US and UK which might count as “international exposure”.

c) GMAT: I have a GMAT score of 650 :-(

d) Social Involvement: I have worked with C.O.R.P for one year teaching English in a municipal school in Mumbai and a six month internship with a microfinance firm as a principal manager for new initiatives and business develoment covering rural areas and villages in the state of Rajasthan, India. Helped setup special help groups and also led firms communications with international peers and VC funds

e) Investment banking background: Mid-market investment banks in India give a better profile and exposure to its analysts as compared to their peers in the US and Europe. I have worked on live deals and also been a part of the business development exercise of the bank which is rare in global banks or US banks where analysts have a limited role.

f) Education: BA (Economics) Top of the class and university topper at Mumbai University, one of the oldest and prestigious arts and science college in India. Masters in Finance and Economics from a top British b-school.

g) Schools short listed: - Cornell

- Yale SOM

- NUS

- Chicago Booth

- Kellogg

- Tepper School

- Ivey

- Duke

- Darden Virginia

- Said Oxford

I am still confused about schools in the UK (LBS, Judge and Oxford) and how much work experience they require since the average age in those schools is way higher than their American peers.

WHICH GEOGRAPHIES ARE MOST FRIENDLY TO INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS IN TERMS OF POST STUDY VISA AND JOB SCENARIO. I HEARD US AND CANADA ARE AWESOME IN THIS RESPECT.

Please do let me know if my choice of schools is apt for my resume. Your thoughts will be deeply appreciated. Thank you again for all your help and support.

Hoping to hear soon from you.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stratus Prep Admissions Consultant
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: profile evaluation - Indian Banker [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 14:34
Expert's post
Sarveshmehta,

Thanks for your post. I am really excited to be able to share my thoughts with you.

At Stratus Prep, we have extensive experience working with finance professionals in India. In fact, one of our clients in this sector from the 2011-2012 cycle was accepted to Wharton with lower overall numbers than yours.

Overall, I think that your profile is strong and that you should consider adding some more stretch schools. However, it is important to note that in the US, Canada, and Europe, your essays and recommendations are some of the most important components of your application, thus to best position yourself for success at those stretch schools, you may want to consider retaining an admissions consultant.

Your work experience sounds quite strong. It is just important to be sure that you don’t simply overemphasize your deal experience but also demonstrate the development of your soft skills and leadership potential which is critical for success in MBA admissions.

I would not worry about your international exposure. I think that it is sufficient. I also think your masters from Britain will help but you just need to be sure to make a good case for why the MBA in your essays since you already have a grad degree in finance. This can easily and effectively done, but again is an example of how an expert might be helpful to you.

To evaluate your GMAT score, it would also be helpful to know the breakdown between the math and the verbal. Since your score is just a bit on the low side for top schools, I might consider retaking. Stratus Prep offers virtual tutoring that has proven very helpful to GMAT test takers abroad. We just had one of our students in Beijing score a 730. However, even if your GMAT does not increase, I think that you can be competitive this cycle with your current profile, especially since we have seen University of Mumbai graduates be quite successful in the American/European MBA admissions game.

Your social involvement is also impressive. We had another client a couple of years ago who did similar work in Rajasthan and as a result was admitted to HBS. Keep up the good work on that front.

Based on my experience, you have sufficient experience to apply to the British as well as American schools. I might just consider adding a few other leading finance schools such as Columbia, for example.

If you land a position in a top firm for after graduation, you are unlikely to face major visa issues. Currently the H1-B visa situation in the US is very hospitable (probably a bit more hospitable than the comparable visa in Europe).

As I mentioned previously, the Stratus Prep team and I do a lot of work with Indian finance professionals and are confident that we could help you maximize your chances of getting into the schools of your choice. If you would like to speak further about how our services could be of assistance to you, please feel free to email consult@stratusprep.com to set up a free initial consultation with me.

Best,
Shawn

Shawn O'Connor
Founder/CEO, Stratus Prep
shawn.oconnor@stratusprep.com
212-307-1788
http://www.stratusprep.com

Manager
Manager

Re: profile evaluation - Indian Banker [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 02:58
Hi Shawn,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am so glad to hear that my GMAT won't effect my dream of a MBA from a reputed school. I thought my chances are over because people told me that good schools like Wharton and Columbia are very GMAT conscious and wont even look at the whole application if the GMAT is not upto the mark.

Do you think i should apply to these schools? If you were in my shoes, what would have been your target list given US and Europe as targeted destinations.

I would also like to know how you can help me. I don't have a big pre-MBA budget but would love to get guidance from experts like you.

Thank you again. Cheeeerss
Manager
Manager

Re: profile evaluation - Indian Banker [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 10:30
Also, given my low quant score (44)..do you think my undergrad scores in maths (99% and university topper) and strong quant nature of my job will help to offset that?? If it does then i think i can one of the stretch schools like Wharton/Yale/Columbia to my list.
WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS??

Thank you again..actually you have given me a new confidence and belief that top schools are not out of reach
Expert Post

Re: profile evaluation - Indian Banker [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 13:40
Expert's post
Sarvesh,

Thanks for your additional notes. It’s great to continue the conversation!

As we discussed above, I do think that, if possible, you should retake the GMAT to try and get that Quant score up as well as the overall score. If you want to speak about how our proven Stratus Prep virtual GMAT tutoring might help you get those scores up, I would be happy to chat with you about that. Just private messenger me. While it’s great that you have high undergraduate math scores and a very quantitative job some schools, such as Wharton and Columbia (which you mentioned above), will still more strongly weight your GMAT performance as a measure of your quantitative abilities. You need to try and get into the 80th+ percentile in the math. With the slightly stronger GMAT, Wharton/Columbia are definitely in play, though you would still have a chance at them without the higher GMAT score (though even 40-50 points more on the GMAT would be invaluable).

You had also asked about how Stratus Prep might be able to help you given your limited pre-MBA budget. I would recommend that you consider hiring us on an hourly basis to review your outlines and then the final drafts of your essays. This would probably take about 3 hours per school and cost approximately $750/school. Alternatively, given the enormous investment you will be making in an MBA program, you might instead want to purchase an all-inclusive school package which is priced at $3250 (1 school), $6250 (3 schools), $8750 (5 schools). Remember that every dollar you spend on MBA Admissions Counseling is likely to payoff 10x+ in terms of merit-based financial aid grants and acceptance into schools with higher starting salaries. I am happy to discuss these various options for working with Stratus Prep further, if you would like.

I think that your school list is strong with the addition of Columbia (which I suggested above). Given the visa issues and economic turmoil in Europe right now, I would keep your focus on the US schools.

I hope this information is helpful!

Best,
Shawn

Shawn O'Connor
212-307-1788

Manager
Manager

Re: profile evaluation - Indian Banker [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 13:51
Hi Shawn,

Thank you for your advice and more than anything else, showing confidence in my candidacy and deeming me fit for top schools at a time when i thought i had no chance. Really means a lot to me.
I will get in touch with you regarding the hourly package which looks more feasible to me given my resources.
Also, is rotman a good option?? given its finance program and easy post work visa regulations for international students. I am contemplating between Ivey/Rotman for Canada.

Thank you for all your support and guidance. Bless u man ;-)
Expert Post

Re: profile evaluation - Indian Banker [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 14:05
Expert's post
Hi Sarvesh,

Ivey and Rotman would both be good options for you. Feel free to email me directly at shawn.oconnor@stratusprep.com so we can discuss getting you started with hourly admissions counseling.

Looking forward to working with you soon.

Best,
Shawn

Shawn O'Connor
212-307-1788

Re: profile evaluation - Indian Banker   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2012, 14:05