Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation - Indian / Female / Non IT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation - Indian / Female / Non IT [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 22:56
Hi,

I had applied to a few schools for Fall 2011 but got dinged by most and was on the waitlist at Tepper. Feedback from Tepper was that I need to tie in my current profile with my short term goals (transferable skills). I am seriously considering reapplying to a few of these schools and to some new ones as I am keen on joining an MBA programme by Fall 2011. My profile is as given below:

Demographics: Indian, Female, 29 years
Gmat: 740, Q49, V 42, AWA 6
Education: Undergraduate - Engineering from Visveswaraiah Inst of Technology - university rank holder, 86%
Graduate: Post graduate diploma in Business from Tier 2 MBA college in India, graduated top of class
Extra curriculars - during school and college, dance & debates, organizing college fests (all years)
Work experience: 2 years in FMCG company (sales role & marketing role). Helped launch a new & successful programme; 3 years in a B2B company in a B2C role - marketing communication and category building (3 years in advertising & marketing communication); Just promoted and started on a new role in developing the category
Community service: Been teaching kids of construction workers through an NGO
Recommendations: From senior colleagues (not immediate supervisors) at both places of work
Post MBA goals: Move to Management consulting, for the consumer goods sector - short term. Long term - leadership role in consumer goods company
Additional Info: I would be applying with my husband

Target schools: Wharton, Insead, Tuck, Kellogg
Am wondering whether I should apply to Booth too.
Am considering applying to Tepper and Darden in Round 2.

Please advise on fit for these colleges and how I could improve my candidacy. Are these stretch schools for me?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation - Indian / Female / Non IT [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 12:24
Expert's post
dn0408 wrote:
Hi,

I had applied to a few schools for Fall 2011 but got dinged by most and was on the waitlist at Tepper. Feedback from Tepper was that I need to tie in my current profile with my short term goals (transferable skills). I am seriously considering reapplying to a few of these schools and to some new ones as I am keen on joining an MBA programme by Fall 2011. My profile is as given below:

Demographics: Indian, Female, 29 years
Gmat: 740, Q49, V 42, AWA 6
Education: Undergraduate - Engineering from Visveswaraiah Inst of Technology - university rank holder, 86%
Graduate: Post graduate diploma in Business from Tier 2 MBA college in India, graduated top of class
Extra curriculars - during school and college, dance & debates, organizing college fests (all years)
Work experience: 2 years in FMCG company (sales role & marketing role). Helped launch a new & successful programme; 3 years in a B2B company in a B2C role - marketing communication and category building (3 years in advertising & marketing communication); Just promoted and started on a new role in developing the category
Community service: Been teaching kids of construction workers through an NGO
Recommendations: From senior colleagues (not immediate supervisors) at both places of work
Post MBA goals: Move to Management consulting, for the consumer goods sector - short term. Long term - leadership role in consumer goods company
Additional Info: I would be applying with my husband

Target schools: Wharton, Insead, Tuck, Kellogg
Am wondering whether I should apply to Booth too.
Am considering applying to Tepper and Darden in Round 2.

Please advise on fit for these colleges and how I could improve my candidacy. Are these stretch schools for me?

These schools look like a good fit to me. It sounds like the person who delivered your feedback from Tepper was grabbing at straws - sometimes they can't explain why one person was accepted over another. I would definitely reapply there first round because I believe your chances of acceptance (if you submit a strong application) are very good - but if you apply round 2 to CMU, I have reason to believe you will be waitlisted again as they will doubt they are among your first choices.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog