Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 11:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Indian, GMAT 650(Q46, V34, IRS7, AWA6 )

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - Indian, GMAT 650(Q46, V34, IRS7, AWA6 ) [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2013, 02:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

Please help me evaluating my profile to some schools I selected

GMAT : 650 (Q46, V34, IRS7, AWA6 )

Though I know that I should have got more score :( , I would not like to spend more time on GMAT as I have already spent 1 year on this and this has been my 3rd attempt.

GPA - 72% ( this may be 3.2) in Mechanical Engineering
Experience - 3.5 years in IT industry
AWA - 6 ( last attempt I score 6).

I am a 26 year old Indian IT software engineer. I have a GPA which is at par with most business school requirements.

WORK EXPERIENCE:
I am a senior system engineer at Infosys Limited and part of a Design/Development/Release Management team that handle high profile and sensitive work within Infosys. One issue in the work we deliver could bring huge losses to the company.
I am mainly indulged in the requirement gathering from my UK client and then working within the entire team for the fulfilment of the requirement. Mostly, I am the single point of contact for intearcting with the external stakeholders in many of the requirement gathering calls from my team. Won many different awards for my work both from Infosys and Client side.
I was the acting lead during the transition process which was one of the most challenging task in my professional career. Being the only experienced member in the team (that time i had an experience of 2 years), I lead a team of 6 people who were sent to Mumbai for the complete transition process of one of the acquired project from Tech Mahindra(Another IT Giant). The complete process took 2 months.
I was also sent to Bangalore for the saimilar kind of activity as above.
I have won 3 BRAVO Awards (One of the prestigious awards in Infosys.) for my outstanding performance in the company. Also, I was awarded by my Client side for the fruitful designs and strategies I suggested.

During my education and college degree, I had expertise in automobiles. Undergone six months internship at YAMAHA MOTORS INDIA, Surajpur, Greater Noida. I was highly appreciated for my project work by the company’s management. My project work lead to a reduction in the conveyer belt timing which was used to assemble the different parts of the bike. The projects undertaken there are as under:-
• Time study and material movement study
• Welding process and defects study
• Overall Equipment Efficiency (OEE) calculation and hence improvement methods
• Supply Chain Management, Vendor management and part development under Purchase Department

EXTRA-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES:-
 Chief Event Management Coordinator at the first Annual Techno-Cultural Fest of UCoE, PBI University. This fest was one of the biggest inter college fest of North India with a budget of around 28 Lacs and held for 3 days. This was the first ever Fest organised by our college. My role varied right from the team management of the various teams (Marketting, Finance, Cultural, Technical, to name a few) to the actual events that took place on various days. Around 48 team members directly reported to me.
 Member of the organizing team of RENEGADE 6.0 Annual LAN Gaming Tournament 2009 held on 7th & 8th March at UCoE.
 Member of the organizing team of RUNBHOOMI 08 Annual Intra College Cultural Fest of UCoE.
 Organized an event named DRISHTI on 26th January, 2007 which was a mega success. It was held at Sector 38-West, Chandigarh and main motive of that event was to tell people about the importance of Republic Day.
 Organising Secretary of Cultural Club of UCoE.
 Active Member of PEFA, an NGO working for the environment at state level in Punjab. While in college days, I actively participated in many rural environmental drives and rural teachings. After college, I worked mainly as a consultant and help the other team members in undertaking the new projects.
 Class Representative for the Mechanical Batch for the year 2007-08.
 Chief Coordinator of the official dance troupe Madcap Radiants of UCoE. Various prizes won by my team are as under:
a) Won 1st prize at AAROHAN’09 held at SSG Punjab University, Hoshiarpur.
b) Won 2nd prize at PECFEST’09 held at PEC University of Technology, Chandigarh.
c) Won 1st prize at Chitkara Institute of Technology, Rajpura (PB).
d) Won 2nd prize at PSMS Fest’08 held at Punjab School Of Management Science, Punjabi University, Patiala
e) Won 3rd prize at SATURNALIA’09 held at Thapar University, Patiala.
f) Represented our college in various other dance competitions held at various colleges including IITs.
 Won 1st prize for fashion show at GOONJ’09 held at UIET, Punjab University, Chandigarh
 Won 1st prize for fashion show at CYANIDE’09 held at DCET, Punjab University, Chandigarh
 Won certificate of participation for fashion show at SATURNALIA’09.
 Won 1st prize for choreography at RUNBHOOMI’08 held at UCoE, Punjabi University, Patiala
 Won 2nd prize for volley ball game in the annual sports FACE OFF’08 meet of our college
 Won 1st prize for volley ball game in the annual sports FACE OFF’09 meet of our college
 Participation in various Debates, Extempore and Declamation contests at High School.
 I am the event manager for the current team at work in Infosys of 90 and I plan fun activities, Project parties and conduct sports within team.

HOBBIES AND SPECIAL INTERESTS:- Solving Sudoku, Aptitude Questions
 Listening to music
 Making my own sound tracks using various mixing software
 Watching movies
 Travelling

I am looking to apply for both MBA and MIS(Management Information Systems) courses. Based on my profile, I have short listed few schools
For MIS:
Dream:
Kelley Indiana University
Carnegie Mellon University (Heinz School)

Best Fit:
Texas A&M University (Mays School)
University of Cincinnatti
For MBA:
I am not very sure where all I should apply. Though I am open to all the schools in the various countries. Please suggest a few best schools where I can go for my MBA. My area of interest is Marketing and Event Management.
A few schools I think I can go for are: Purdue University (Krannett School), Nanyang College Singapore, Indiana-Kelley

Please suggest me a way forward. Also let me know If I should go for my GMAT again because I am not sure how the colleges would consider as it would be mine 4th attempt. I was consistently scoring a 750 in all my mocks (GMAT Prep, Manhattan, Kaplans)

Regards,
Vinayak Vashishtha
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 535 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - Indian, GMAT 650(Q46, V34, IRS7, AWA6 ) [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 01:07
Expert's post
dazvas wrote:
Hi,

Please help me evaluating my profile to some schools I selected

GMAT : 650 (Q46, V34, IRS7, AWA6 )

Though I know that I should have got more score :( , I would not like to spend more time on GMAT as I have already spent 1 year on this and this has been my 3rd attempt.

GPA - 72% ( this may be 3.2) in Mechanical Engineering
Experience - 3.5 years in IT industry
AWA - 6 ( last attempt I score 6).

I am a 26 year old Indian IT software engineer. I have a GPA which is at par with most business school requirements.

WORK EXPERIENCE:
I am a senior system engineer at Infosys Limited and part of a Design/Development/Release Management team that handle high profile and sensitive work within Infosys. One issue in the work we deliver could bring huge losses to the company.
I am mainly indulged in the requirement gathering from my UK client and then working within the entire team for the fulfilment of the requirement. Mostly, I am the single point of contact for intearcting with the external stakeholders in many of the requirement gathering calls from my team. Won many different awards for my work both from Infosys and Client side.
I was the acting lead during the transition process which was one of the most challenging task in my professional career. Being the only experienced member in the team (that time i had an experience of 2 years), I lead a team of 6 people who were sent to Mumbai for the complete transition process of one of the acquired project from Tech Mahindra(Another IT Giant). The complete process took 2 months.
I was also sent to Bangalore for the saimilar kind of activity as above.
I have won 3 BRAVO Awards (One of the prestigious awards in Infosys.) for my outstanding performance in the company. Also, I was awarded by my Client side for the fruitful designs and strategies I suggested.

During my education and college degree, I had expertise in automobiles. Undergone six months internship at YAMAHA MOTORS INDIA, Surajpur, Greater Noida. I was highly appreciated for my project work by the company’s management. My project work lead to a reduction in the conveyer belt timing which was used to assemble the different parts of the bike. The projects undertaken there are as under:-
• Time study and material movement study
• Welding process and defects study
• Overall Equipment Efficiency (OEE) calculation and hence improvement methods
• Supply Chain Management, Vendor management and part development under Purchase Department

EXTRA-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES:-
 Chief Event Management Coordinator at the first Annual Techno-Cultural Fest of UCoE, PBI University. This fest was one of the biggest inter college fest of North India with a budget of around 28 Lacs and held for 3 days. This was the first ever Fest organised by our college. My role varied right from the team management of the various teams (Marketting, Finance, Cultural, Technical, to name a few) to the actual events that took place on various days. Around 48 team members directly reported to me.
 Member of the organizing team of RENEGADE 6.0 Annual LAN Gaming Tournament 2009 held on 7th & 8th March at UCoE.
 Member of the organizing team of RUNBHOOMI 08 Annual Intra College Cultural Fest of UCoE.
 Organized an event named DRISHTI on 26th January, 2007 which was a mega success. It was held at Sector 38-West, Chandigarh and main motive of that event was to tell people about the importance of Republic Day.
 Organising Secretary of Cultural Club of UCoE.
 Active Member of PEFA, an NGO working for the environment at state level in Punjab. While in college days, I actively participated in many rural environmental drives and rural teachings. After college, I worked mainly as a consultant and help the other team members in undertaking the new projects.
 Class Representative for the Mechanical Batch for the year 2007-08.
 Chief Coordinator of the official dance troupe Madcap Radiants of UCoE. Various prizes won by my team are as under:
a) Won 1st prize at AAROHAN’09 held at SSG Punjab University, Hoshiarpur.
b) Won 2nd prize at PECFEST’09 held at PEC University of Technology, Chandigarh.
c) Won 1st prize at Chitkara Institute of Technology, Rajpura (PB).
d) Won 2nd prize at PSMS Fest’08 held at Punjab School Of Management Science, Punjabi University, Patiala
e) Won 3rd prize at SATURNALIA’09 held at Thapar University, Patiala.
f) Represented our college in various other dance competitions held at various colleges including IITs.
 Won 1st prize for fashion show at GOONJ’09 held at UIET, Punjab University, Chandigarh
 Won 1st prize for fashion show at CYANIDE’09 held at DCET, Punjab University, Chandigarh
 Won certificate of participation for fashion show at SATURNALIA’09.
 Won 1st prize for choreography at RUNBHOOMI’08 held at UCoE, Punjabi University, Patiala
 Won 2nd prize for volley ball game in the annual sports FACE OFF’08 meet of our college
 Won 1st prize for volley ball game in the annual sports FACE OFF’09 meet of our college
 Participation in various Debates, Extempore and Declamation contests at High School.
 I am the event manager for the current team at work in Infosys of 90 and I plan fun activities, Project parties and conduct sports within team.

HOBBIES AND SPECIAL INTERESTS:- Solving Sudoku, Aptitude Questions
 Listening to music
 Making my own sound tracks using various mixing software
 Watching movies
 Travelling

I am looking to apply for both MBA and MIS(Management Information Systems) courses. Based on my profile, I have short listed few schools
For MIS:
Dream:
Kelley Indiana University
Carnegie Mellon University (Heinz School)

Best Fit:
Texas A&M University (Mays School)
University of Cincinnatti
For MBA:
I am not very sure where all I should apply. Though I am open to all the schools in the various countries. Please suggest a few best schools where I can go for my MBA. My area of interest is Marketing and Event Management.
A few schools I think I can go for are: Purdue University (Krannett School), Nanyang College Singapore, Indiana-Kelley

Please suggest me a way forward. Also let me know If I should go for my GMAT again because I am not sure how the colleges would consider as it would be mine 4th attempt. I was consistently scoring a 750 in all my mocks (GMAT Prep, Manhattan, Kaplans)

Regards,
Vinayak Vashishtha

Hey Vinayak,
Good to hear from you, dude.

My first piece of advice is easy: Retake the GMAT. If you have been scoring a 750 on your mocks, there's no reason for you to walk away with less than a 730. And with a 730, you are in a different ballpark (or should I say cricket field? :) ).

You are 26. Why rush things? Retake your GMAT and apply next year. You will thank yourself because it will only mean that you will get into a better school, or get a better scholarship offer.

Your work experience is good, if a bit "Standard", and your client-facing experience and leadership are two points which I would recommend you emphasize. You have a TON of extra currics, which is fantastic, but you need also to STRATEGIZE them. Right now what we read here is a sort of "shopping list" of lots and lots of stuff, and it's hard to process. When you present your application to the Adcom, it's important that you choose only a few of the BEST things and then focus deep on those.

As for your chances at schools, like I wrote, I think it's better for you to focus your energies on that GMAT first, and then once you have your top score, we can think again about where you might apply.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation - Indian, GMAT 650(Q46, V34, IRS7, AWA6 ) [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 07:27
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your valuable advice but I am a bit worried. Though I have achieved a score of 750 consistently in my mocks, but I always end up goofing my exam. I have already appeared in the exam thrice. If I do it again, it would be my 4th attempt. I am not very sure how admissions cell would view my application then. Plus one more thing I am concerned is that I am also targetting MIS at big leagues as mentioned before. Is my score competent enough for that ?

And about the application work, yes I would stratize my extra currics and work ex. Plus if possible, can you please let me know which all schools I can target with this score (some schools from the top league)

Regards,
Vinayak Vashishtha

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - Indian, GMAT 650(Q46, V34, IRS7, AWA6 ) [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2013, 02:48
Expert's post
dazvas wrote:
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your valuable advice but I am a bit worried. Though I have achieved a score of 750 consistently in my mocks, but I always end up goofing my exam. I have already appeared in the exam thrice. If I do it again, it would be my 4th attempt. I am not very sure how admissions cell would view my application then. Plus one more thing I am concerned is that I am also targetting MIS at big leagues as mentioned before. Is my score competent enough for that ?

And about the application work, yes I would stratize my extra currics and work ex. Plus if possible, can you please let me know which all schools I can target with this score (some schools from the top league)

Regards,
Vinayak Vashishtha

Hey Vinayak,
I didn't realize this was your third time taking the GMAT... I understand your position, but I still think what I wrote holds. Since you are consistently scoring 750 on your mocks but having been pulling them on your tests, I think the first step is to take a step back and ask yourself: WHY? Is it because the mock tests are too easy? Because you are nervous? Because of time limitations? Because of inability to concentrate in a testing room? I think you can still get a better score if you think about how to approach it, and that it will be IMMENSELY helpful applying to MBA or MIS programs... it doesn't matter.

And taking the test a forth or fifth time doesn't mean all that much if you can get a decently higher score. Plus you are young, so it poses no disadvantage (putting aside the fact that you are preeeetty late to be starting applying in the middle of R2, and in ANY case I'd suggest waiting till July of summer to prepare the most apps in the best way possible for a R1 application). So to me, all things still point to next year application, unless you have some very strong personal or professional reason (like marriage or you know you will be laid off, or whatever).

The thing is that with a 650, I don't think you can apply to any schools in the top league, but with a 720+ yes... so it IS worth it.

Let me know your further thoughts,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation - Indian, GMAT 650(Q46, V34, IRS7, AWA6 ) [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2013, 04:03
Hi Jon

Yes, the marriage problem is on cards :( (in a year or two). I don't want to delay much. MBA is not a good option for me right now. But can you please guide if 650 is competent enough for MIS from CMU or Kelley. I have a friend in CMU who is done with his MIS. He is saying I have a good chance there. Whats your opinion on it?

Regards,
Vinayak
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - Indian, GMAT 650(Q46, V34, IRS7, AWA6 ) [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 08:15
Expert's post
dazvas wrote:
Hi Jon

Yes, the marriage problem is on cards :( (in a year or two). I don't want to delay much. MBA is not a good option for me right now. But can you please guide if 650 is competent enough for MIS from CMU or Kelley. I have a friend in CMU who is done with his MIS. He is saying I have a good chance there. Whats your opinion on it?

Regards,
Vinayak

If you are in a rush, you can give it a shot. I think you have at least a chance at both schools thanks to your experience and awards, etc. even if it's slimmer than what we like. So if it means so much more to you to go now, give it your best shot, and then maybe you won't have to worry about the GMAT.
;)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation - Indian, GMAT 650(Q46, V34, IRS7, AWA6 ) [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 08:38
Thank you for those valuable words Jon. Its a relief to hear from you. Yes, I am working on my SOPs n LORs. One more advice I needed in this context, now bcz I am looking for a MIS, what exact points I should pick up and potray in my SOPs for Kelley and CMU In mind. Where should I focus more and which all I should resist.

Plus one more course I came across is SDM at MIT Sloan. Any piece of advice for that course. I have done a bit of research from my end but I am not sure about the future prospects of that course. My profile fits to the course though :)

Regards,
Vinayak Vashishtha

Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - Indian, GMAT 650(Q46, V34, IRS7, AWA6 ) [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 22:46
Expert's post
dazvas wrote:
Thank you for those valuable words Jon. Its a relief to hear from you. Yes, I am working on my SOPs n LORs. One more advice I needed in this context, now bcz I am looking for a MIS, what exact points I should pick up and potray in my SOPs for Kelley and CMU In mind. Where should I focus more and which all I should resist.

Plus one more course I came across is SDM at MIT Sloan. Any piece of advice for that course. I have done a bit of research from my end but I am not sure about the future prospects of that course. My profile fits to the course though :)

Regards,
Vinayak Vashishtha

You ask good questions Vinayak, but as for "what exact points to pick and portray" it's something that we would have to work on together and I dont really yet know your profile deep enough. I can tell you though two tips: When deciding which stories to select the two most important things are likely to be 1. The results of your actions 2. The value of your responsibility (i.e. How important the project was, how much leadership you have, how much impact it has). And when you approach your DOPs, the next most important thing is that everything makes sense together. (in terms of your past and your future).

And now... it's time to get started writing!!!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com