Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Indian, GMAT 650(Q46, V34, IRS7, AWA6 )

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - Indian, GMAT 650(Q46, V34, IRS7, AWA6 ) [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2013, 04:11
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

Please help me evaluating my profile to some schools I selected

GMAT : 650 (Q46, V34, IRS7, AWA6 )

Though I know that I should have got more score , I would not like to spend more time on GMAT as I have already spent 1 year on this and this has been my 3rd attempt.

GPA - 72% ( this may be 3.2) in Mechanical Engineering
Experience - 3.5 years in IT industry
AWA - 6 ( last attempt I score 6).

I am a 26 year old Indian IT software engineer. I have a GPA which is at par with most business school requirements.

WORK EXPERIENCE:
I am a senior system engineer at Infosys Limited and part of a Design/Development/Release Management team that handle high profile and sensitive work within Infosys. One issue in the work we deliver could bring huge losses to the company.
I am mainly indulged in the requirement gathering from my UK client and then working within the entire team for the fulfilment of the requirement. Mostly, I am the single point of contact for intearcting with the external stakeholders in many of the requirement gathering calls from my team. Won many different awards for my work both from Infosys and Client side.
I was the acting lead during the transition process which was one of the most challenging task in my professional career. Being the only experienced member in the team (that time i had an experience of 2 years), I lead a team of 6 people who were sent to Mumbai for the complete transition process of one of the acquired project from Tech Mahindra(Another IT Giant). The complete process took 2 months.
I was also sent to Bangalore for the saimilar kind of activity as above.
I have won 3 BRAVO Awards (One of the prestigious awards in Infosys.) for my outstanding performance in the company. Also, I was awarded by my Client side for the fruitful designs and strategies I suggested.

During my education and college degree, I had expertise in automobiles. Undergone six months internship at YAMAHA MOTORS INDIA, Surajpur, Greater Noida. I was highly appreciated for my project work by the company’s management. My project work lead to a reduction in the conveyer belt timing which was used to assemble the different parts of the bike. The projects undertaken there are as under:-
• Time study and material movement study
• Welding process and defects study
• Overall Equipment Efficiency (OEE) calculation and hence improvement methods
• Supply Chain Management, Vendor management and part development under Purchase Department

EXTRA-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES:-
 Chief Event Management Coordinator at the first Annual Techno-Cultural Fest of UCoE, PBI University. This fest was one of the biggest inter college fest of North India with a budget of around 28 Lacs and held for 3 days. This was the first ever Fest organised by our college. My role varied right from the team management of the various teams (Marketting, Finance, Cultural, Technical, to name a few) to the actual events that took place on various days. Around 48 team members directly reported to me.
 Member of the organizing team of RENEGADE 6.0 Annual LAN Gaming Tournament 2009 held on 7th & 8th March at UCoE.
 Member of the organizing team of RUNBHOOMI 08 Annual Intra College Cultural Fest of UCoE.
 Organized an event named DRISHTI on 26th January, 2007 which was a mega success. It was held at Sector 38-West, Chandigarh and main motive of that event was to tell people about the importance of Republic Day.
 Organising Secretary of Cultural Club of UCoE.
 Active Member of PEFA, an NGO working for the environment at state level in Punjab. While in college days, I actively participated in many rural environmental drives and rural teachings. After college, I worked mainly as a consultant and help the other team members in undertaking the new projects.
 Class Representative for the Mechanical Batch for the year 2007-08.
 Chief Coordinator of the official dance troupe Madcap Radiants of UCoE. Various prizes won by my team are as under:
a) Won 1st prize at AAROHAN’09 held at SSG Punjab University, Hoshiarpur.
b) Won 2nd prize at PECFEST’09 held at PEC University of Technology, Chandigarh.
c) Won 1st prize at Chitkara Institute of Technology, Rajpura (PB).
d) Won 2nd prize at PSMS Fest’08 held at Punjab School Of Management Science, Punjabi University, Patiala
e) Won 3rd prize at SATURNALIA’09 held at Thapar University, Patiala.
f) Represented our college in various other dance competitions held at various colleges including IITs.
 Won 1st prize for fashion show at GOONJ’09 held at UIET, Punjab University, Chandigarh
 Won 1st prize for fashion show at CYANIDE’09 held at DCET, Punjab University, Chandigarh
 Won certificate of participation for fashion show at SATURNALIA’09.
 Won 1st prize for choreography at RUNBHOOMI’08 held at UCoE, Punjabi University, Patiala
 Won 2nd prize for volley ball game in the annual sports FACE OFF’08 meet of our college
 Won 1st prize for volley ball game in the annual sports FACE OFF’09 meet of our college
 Participation in various Debates, Extempore and Declamation contests at High School.
 I am the event manager for the current team at work in Infosys of 90 and I plan fun activities, Project parties and conduct sports within team.

HOBBIES AND SPECIAL INTERESTS:- Solving Sudoku, Aptitude Questions
 Listening to music
 Making my own sound tracks using various mixing software
 Watching movies
 Travelling

I am looking to apply for both MBA and MIS(Management Information Systems) courses. Based on my profile, I have short listed few schools
For MIS:
Dream:
Kelley Indiana University
Carnegie Mellon University (Heinz School)

Best Fit:
Texas A&M University (Mays School)
University of Cincinnatti
For MBA:
I am not very sure where all I should apply. Though I am open to all the schools in the various countries. Please suggest a few best schools where I can go for my MBA. My area of interest is Marketing and Event Management.
A few schools I think I can go for are: Purdue University (Krannett School), Nanyang College Singapore, Indiana-Kelley

Please suggest me a way forward. Also let me know If I should go for my GMAT again because I am not sure how the colleges would consider as it would be mine 4th attempt. I was consistently scoring a 750 in all my mocks (GMAT Prep, Manhattan, Kaplans)

Regards,
Vinayak Vashishtha
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profile Evaluation - Indian, GMAT 650(Q46, V34, IRS7, AWA6 ) [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2014, 20:07
Hi Vinayak,

Did you got selected anywhere?.. Mine is also same case

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Indian, GMAT 650(Q46, V34, IRS7, AWA6 ) [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2014, 15:58
Expert's post
Hello Vinayak,

I think that for the MBA programs you cite, you would not quite be competitive, due to a confluence of two factors: the relatively low GMAT and being part of an over-represented group in MBA applicant pools. To be competitive for most of the chosen MBA programs, you’d probably need a GMAT of at least 700, because of the over-represented status, although Nanyang maybe a reasonable reach.

I can’t comment on the MIS programs because I’m not familiar offhand with the details of their specific student profiles.

I agree about your concern over taking the GMAT a 4th time. Adcoms do question when it’s taken more than 3 times (some even have concerns at 3 takes). But I think there’s a tradeoff: if you could score quite high – above 730 – it could be worth the adcom concern. In other words, making the jump in score big enough to overshadow the 4th try. If you’re not pretty sure you can achieve such a score, it would be better to put your efforts elsewhere.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog