Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation- Indian Male, 27 years-GMAT-730

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation- Indian Male, 27 years-GMAT-730 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2014, 22:15
Hi!

Could you please help me evaluate my profile and advise on target schools:

Background:
Indian Male
27 years old

GMAT :
730 (Q50, V38, IR8,)

Education :
Btech in Civil Engineering from Government Engineering College,Thrissur (68%)

Work Experience:

5 years : 2 years in Shapoorji pallonji & Company Ltd (Private Sector)as site/planning engineer in heavy industries sector
3 Years in Steel Authority of India Ltd (Public Sector) as Jr manager projects/water management)

Presently working with Steel authority of India Ltd, as Junior manager Projects.

Few details of my work:
1. Planning /billing engineer for 150 mil USD project while with SPCL
2. Member of ALDEP bATCH ( ACCELERATED LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM) at SPCL.
3. Project coordinator for water works projects at SAIL.

Extra Curricular Activities:
1.Sports: Captain College and School football team, member of cricket and basket ball team.
2. Convener : Nirmaan EXPO . academic cum cultural fest of GEC-TCR.
3. SPONSOR SHIP CONVENER - NIRMAAN EXPO- gathered 700,000 INR worth sponsor ship for college fest.

Applying for 2015 fall intake

Post MBA Goal: Career shift to consulting sector/operations

Target Schools: I would like to know which schools would fit my profile.

Thanks a lot! :)
Deepak
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation- Indian Male, 27 years-GMAT-730 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2014, 19:05
Expert's post
Hi there,

Thanks for your post. Nice job on the GMAT thus far. Overall you have some solid work experience, and quant, analytical, and project management skills certainly. Your biggest challenge will be to stand out from others most like you-- Indian engineering applicants for example. This applicant group tends to be great with the quant and analytical and technical portions of the application and of b-school, but the concern is whether they have strong leadership, management, communication, and team work skills... more of the people skills you could say.

You will have to work hard to stand out from this pool of applicants, from others with similar backgrounds! How? Dig deep and brainstorm on what makes YOU unique... b-school admissions decisions are made holistically... it's not just based on grades or facts or stats, but on a holistic picture of the applicant and what they'll contribute to the program, who they are as a person. That is primarily evidenced through your ESSAYS, fyi!! (And interview if you get to that point.) Elements you need to convey in your application for a chance at a top rated program include:
-what past experiences and skills will benefit you in the classroom, and later in your career
-what key traits and experiences make you UNIQUE; basically, 'why YOU??' vs other applicants
-why you want the MBA, with clear short term and long term post-MBA goals
-why NOW
-why that specific school is right for you

If you lack any of the above components, you risk that another well or similarly-qualified applicant who includes all of those, will wind up getting accepted over you!

Based on the info shared here, I'd look outside the top 20 schools for best chances. For more on choosing schools, check out our free download at: http://info.mbamission.com/Selecting-Yo ... ram-E-Book.

Let us know what other q's you have and good luck!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php