Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation : Indian Male, GMAT 740

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation : Indian Male, GMAT 740 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 18:48
Hi,

I wrote GMAT recently and got a score of 740 (Q 51, V40), AWA - 5, IR - 5.

I am an Indian male with about 7 years of experience. (18 months in IT as software developer, 10 months in an Educorporate as a faculty and content developer, and last ~ 5 years in Research & Analytics in Business Research).

Have worked majorly with Consulting clients from international geographies; however international exposure in terms of being physically present is nil.

Have two promotions in my current industry, of which one i got within six months of joining.

However, I have a gap in workex of about 6 months due to some emergency at my home but i could join back the same company i left and at the exact same position after the things settled. In fact i had to postpone my GMAT by about a month for the same reason. Kindly suggest whether this is a big issue and can this be addressed since i find myself in an awkward situation despite a genuine problem.

Undergraduation: BE in Electrical from one of the top colleges of India (NIT) in 2005

Undergrad Acads: Okayish (Not too great). 68.7% (in top 25% of my class)

Extracurriculars : Fine (Regular sports involvement such as Cricket (school, college, company, club (play at semiprofessional level) ), Tennis, and Badminton (winner of championship in school day); Singing; Video blogging; sub head of national level tech festival at my college); Co-creator and the mentor of an innovative mathematical product on India's largest MBA portal.

Community Service: Provide free education through my own online portal, also create and publish educational videos through my Youtube channel, provide free mentoring and private tutoring to students for aptitude tests. Founder of a Non profit venture to promote quality education for free.

I am looking for a post MBA job in management consulting.

I am looking for suitable Bschools to apply in R1. Kindly suggest a few good Bschools that could be classified as "on par", "reach", and "safe" for my profile.

Also it would be great if you can shed some light on the scholarship considerations.

Thanks in advance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation : Indian Male, GMAT 740 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 11:32
Expert's post
Scholarships are tough to come by for international applicants in many cases because there are many donors who establish scholarships who put a restriction on them for US students only. There are others who do not do this, so they are available, and you are generally automatically included in the consideration process when you apply. Perhaps you can also look for scholarships in India that you could bring over.

As for your profile, it will likely be pretty robust compared with other applicants in your pool because you are exceeding the average in Work Experience as well as GMAT score. The gap in your work history can likely be explained away but your wording is confusing--are you currently unemployed? if so, this could present problems if you are unemployed and have been out of work for 6 months. If you are already back at your employer, then I would simply plan to explain it in the application.

As for schools, even with a good profile like yours with unique components including what looks like a Khan academy type webpage for educational purposes, it will still make sense to apply across a range of schools. Since your end goal is management consulting, you are safe in going to any top 20 program because MGT consulting is the most common field post MBA and likely one that will be available to you no matter where you go. I always recommend going to the best school where you can get in and where you feel you are a good fit. Depending on visa issues and where you want to work post MBA geographically, you should look at schools in general which are within an 8 hour drive of your target employer's headquarters. The reason for this is because the MBA is a sticky degree and despite the global nature of the programs, most of the graduating class (and therefore your future network) will remain in this circle. Of course this rule may not apply as often to the top 5 schools, but if you get in there it won't matter where you want to work because the degree will travel well. I would get out there and visit some schools which appeal to you. Also see if you can target some specific consulting firms then reverse engineer your process by picking schools where those employers seem to do a lot of recruiting. let us know if we can help you as you prepare your applications.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation : Indian Male, GMAT 740 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 19:27
bryantmichaels wrote:
Scholarships are tough to come by for international applicants in many cases because there are many donors who establish scholarships who put a restriction on them for US students only. There are others who do not do this, so they are available, and you are generally automatically included in the consideration process when you apply. Perhaps you can also look for scholarships in India that you could bring over.

As for your profile, it will likely be pretty robust compared with other applicants in your pool because you are exceeding the average in Work Experience as well as GMAT score. The gap in your work history can likely be explained away but your wording is confusing--are you currently unemployed? if so, this could present problems if you are unemployed and have been out of work for 6 months. If you are already back at your employer, then I would simply plan to explain it in the application.

As for schools, even with a good profile like yours with unique components including what looks like a Khan academy type webpage for educational purposes, it will still make sense to apply across a range of schools. Since your end goal is management consulting, you are safe in going to any top 20 program because MGT consulting is the most common field post MBA and likely one that will be available to you no matter where you go. I always recommend going to the best school where you can get in and where you feel you are a good fit. Depending on visa issues and where you want to work post MBA geographically, you should look at schools in general which are within an 8 hour drive of your target employer's headquarters. The reason for this is because the MBA is a sticky degree and despite the global nature of the programs, most of the graduating class (and therefore your future network) will remain in this circle. Of course this rule may not apply as often to the top 5 schools, but if you get in there it won't matter where you want to work because the degree will travel well. I would get out there and visit some schools which appeal to you. Also see if you can target some specific consulting firms then reverse engineer your process by picking schools where those employers seem to do a lot of recruiting. let us know if we can help you as you prepare your applications.

Hi Bryant. Thanks a lot for your advice. :)

I had resumed job at the same company, same position (Senior Associate) about 2.5 months back. There was a six months gap in my career because of some emergency.

I am looking at applying to Darden, Ross, Tepper, Duke, Chicago Booth, and Cornell and wanted your views on the same.

Also, wanted to understand, given the fact that management consulting is one of the most common field post mba, will it not make the admissions sound repetitive and a common goal statement too, despite a genuine willingness. Actually i am looking at strategy roles in management consulting.

Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks again :)