Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation : Indian Male, GMAT 740

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation : Indian Male, GMAT 740 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 18:51
Hi,

I wrote GMAT recently and got a score of 740 (Q 51, V40), AWA - 5, IR - 5.

I am an Indian male with about 7 years of experience. (18 months in IT as software developer, 10 months in an Educorporate as a faculty and content developer, and last ~ 5 years in Research & Analytics in Business Research).

Have worked majorly with Consulting clients from international geographies; however international exposure in terms of being physically present is nil.

Have two promotions in my current industry, of which one i got within six months of joining.

However, I have a gap in workex of about 6 months due to some emergency at my home but i could join back the same company i left and at the exact same position after the things settled. In fact i had to postpone my GMAT by about a month for the same reason. Kindly suggest whether this is a big issue and can this be addressed since i find myself in an awkward situation despite a genuine problem.

Undergraduation: BE in Electrical from one of the top colleges of India (NIT) in 2005

Undergrad Acads: Okayish (Not too great). 68.7% (in top 25% of my class)

Extracurriculars : Fine (Regular sports involvement such as Cricket (school, college, company, club (play at semiprofessional level) ), Tennis, and Badminton (winner of championship in school day); Singing; Video blogging; sub head of national level tech festival at my college); Co-creator and the mentor of an innovative mathematical product on India's largest MBA portal.

Community Service: Provide free education through my own online portal, also create and publish educational videos through my Youtube channel, provide free mentoring and private tutoring to students for aptitude tests. Founder of a Non profit venture to promote quality education for free.

I am looking for a post MBA job in management consulting.

I am looking for suitable Bschools to apply in R1. Kindly suggest a few good Bschools that could be classified as "on par", "reach", and "safe" for my profile.

Also it would be great if you can shed some light on the scholarship considerations.

Thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 22

Re: Profile Evaluation : Indian Male, GMAT 740 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 06:01
Hi again EddyTeddy - let's go into some of these details and your questions. As we mentioned in that other thread it's gonna be tough to suggest schools for you but you can reply back once you have a list of targets and we can have a dialogue on those if you like.

To answer your specific concerns on the gap in work experience: This is a non-issue. It sounds like you had something to deal with in your life, and you dealt with it. As long as you're back at work now then you're fine, it won't impact your candidacy at all (unless you were in prison or something and then that's a special case! :-) ) You will probably need to write the optional essay to explain the situation but it's not going to be a big deal in terms of how your candidacy is evaluated.

On the hope for scholarship: Unfortunately that is very unlikely. It's tough enough for candidates with your fairly standard profile to simply gain admission to a top school; it's unrealistic to expect that you'll also get paid for getting your MBA (which is essentially what a scholarship amounts to). It's good to recognize the incredible costs that you'll be facing but the MBA also has a very strong ROI and there are typically lots of loans available so you will most likely have resources needed to do it when the time comes. This is worth investigating now though so you may want to use it as one of your criteria - some schools only have loans for international students with a U.S. co-signer, just as an example. If you don't have that then maybe those schools get ruled out.

In terms of your actual profile, first, congrats on the nice GMAT score, you're well above average at all the top schools and also above the average of the typical Indian student, so that's great. The GMAT doesn't offset a lower college record but it doesn't sound like your marks were that bad, and you went to a good school, so we're not too worried about it.

What you need to do next, in terms of increasing your odds for acceptance, is to start to drill into your profile and identify your strengths and the achievements and contributions you've made in a professional context - this is what the best schools respond to and this is what you need to be emphasizing in your application. From what you've shared so far, you've got a very common profile and your job is to help the adcom see how you're different from all the other guys like you who are tossing their hat in the ring. A Round 1 app is important and it's great you're starting early - but you need to get busy now! Those essays will be crucial for you and they always take a lot longer than people ever expect.

Hope this helps you at least move forward - let us know if you have follow-ups we can help with. Right now we can say you're potentially qualified for many programs, but whether you're a fit to them - or them to you - is a big TBD.

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation : Indian Male, GMAT 740 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 11:46
essaysnark wrote:
Hi again EddyTeddy - let's go into some of these details and your questions. As we mentioned in that other thread it's gonna be tough to suggest schools for you but you can reply back once you have a list of targets and we can have a dialogue on those if you like.

To answer your specific concerns on the gap in work experience: This is a non-issue. It sounds like you had something to deal with in your life, and you dealt with it. As long as you're back at work now then you're fine, it won't impact your candidacy at all (unless you were in prison or something and then that's a special case! :-) ) You will probably need to write the optional essay to explain the situation but it's not going to be a big deal in terms of how your candidacy is evaluated.

On the hope for scholarship: Unfortunately that is very unlikely. It's tough enough for candidates with your fairly standard profile to simply gain admission to a top school; it's unrealistic to expect that you'll also get paid for getting your MBA (which is essentially what a scholarship amounts to). It's good to recognize the incredible costs that you'll be facing but the MBA also has a very strong ROI and there are typically lots of loans available so you will most likely have resources needed to do it when the time comes. This is worth investigating now though so you may want to use it as one of your criteria - some schools only have loans for international students with a U.S. co-signer, just as an example. If you don't have that then maybe those schools get ruled out.

In terms of your actual profile, first, congrats on the nice GMAT score, you're well above average at all the top schools and also above the average of the typical Indian student, so that's great. The GMAT doesn't offset a lower college record but it doesn't sound like your marks were that bad, and you went to a good school, so we're not too worried about it.

What you need to do next, in terms of increasing your odds for acceptance, is to start to drill into your profile and identify your strengths and the achievements and contributions you've made in a professional context - this is what the best schools respond to and this is what you need to be emphasizing in your application. From what you've shared so far, you've got a very common profile and your job is to help the adcom see how you're different from all the other guys like you who are tossing their hat in the ring. A Round 1 app is important and it's great you're starting early - but you need to get busy now! Those essays will be crucial for you and they always take a lot longer than people ever expect.

Hope this helps you at least move forward - let us know if you have follow-ups we can help with. Right now we can say you're potentially qualified for many programs, but whether you're a fit to them - or them to you - is a big TBD.

EssaySnark

First of all, I am really thankful to you for your review and feedback on my profile. :)

Whatever you suggested, makes complete sense to me.

Just to brief you on a few things that i missed out earlier. I did make a couple of significant professional contributions at my work place - something that i may substantiate in my essays. Besides, I have also supervised several analysts/senior analysts/associates till date on various projects.

On the community / extra curricular front, i was awarded a particular title by "Pagalguy", India's largest MBA portal, as a recognition of my contribution to the forum and the product that i ran there during 2006-2008 had ~20,000 subscribers back then and the traffic and popularity there also invited a few bschool ads on those threads. The problems that featured in that product are still accessed by multiple students and faculties for test prep. There was a case study by Indian Institute of Bangalore in 2011 that has a mention about that product too. May be i can use these facts about me as well.

What do you think?

I also had a tentative list of bschools in mind. Kindly help me assess the possibilities that i may have there - Chicago Booth, Darden, Ross, Cornell, Tepper, and Duke.

Thanks again :)
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 22

Re: Profile Evaluation : Indian Male, GMAT 740 [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 16:27
Hi EddyTeddy - it's unfortunately quite difficult for us to assess leadership stuff in the forums; they need to be evaluated in the entire context of someone's candidacy and there's too many moving pieces for us to do it justice here. If you can show a direct cause->effect relationship between what you did at PapalGuy and the specific outcomes of 20k members or whatever, then sure, that can be valuable. Not certain it'll be considered 'community service' since it's sort of 'community-self-serving' if you know what we mean :-D (it's not like it's feeding the hungry right?). But sure, it looks like something that can be additive to a profile.

On supervising analysts, unfortunately that could suggest that you might be a better fit for an EMBA program. "Supervising" is not the same as "leadership", make sure you recognize the difference.

EddyTeddy wrote:
I also had a tentative list of bschools in mind. Kindly help me assess the possibilities that i may have there - Chicago Booth, Darden, Ross, Cornell, Tepper, and Duke.

This is a good list but also a competitive one. Schools like Tepper and Cornell are going to find your GMAT score appealing, they always like to see a higher score since it helps them boost their student averages, and they're very open and friendly places. The others could work too but across the board, these schools need to know why you're interested in them and why you've chosen them specifically. All of them send a lot of grads to consulting so they're appropriate targets but you didn't explain WHY you're choosing any of them. Make sure you can express your reasons and how you're a fit, and highlight the examples of impact from your background. It might work - but the essays are tough - and short! which means them that much tougher.

You have the pieces in place and now it's up to you to execute. Round 1 will be important. Good luck to you and please keep us posted!

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Re: Profile Evaluation : Indian Male, GMAT 740   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2013, 16:27